1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Ritual's Army - Lizard on Lizard Action (For the Waaaaagh!)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Ritual, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

What colour shall I paint his stick? Thinking maybe just continue the black with gold trim theme? IMG_2187.JPG

2. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Black or Dark Red somethin ?

Ritual, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  3. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

A scarlet red or something would stand out and have an air of aristocratiness (real word look it up well don't because its not a real word ;)) - but yeah a deep red might work really well

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  4. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Good thinking, I will give that a go tonight and see how it looks.

Getting there now, I might actually get him finished in time...

18645885_662148983994347_1014386449711104000_n.jpg

5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This is so badass! Really awesome job here

Ritual likes this.
  6. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Love his face! You managed a really realistic skin tone!

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  7. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

The best thing was it is the easiest thing I have ever done in terms of painting a skin tone... Prime with white then water down reikland fleshshade and apply lightly!

Add a touch heavier for shaded places and profit.

Going to add a few more highlights to it in something, maybe watered down ushabti mixed with a touch of red.

8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the wisdom !

Bowser and Ritual like this.
  9. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I'm all for shortcuts! Spent godamn ages trying to paint the skin on my vampires and they looked shockingly bad. This took under 5 minutes.

10. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

He's done... Didn't think I was going to make it for a while there, but powered through.

17437937_1790048807688301_6658182014497193984_n.jpg 18581388_561389934249281_9094233631668305920_n.jpg 18644807_1928993700675330_8169464805619400704_n.jpg 18645454_1746006702356349_4694889396195819520_n.jpg 18646303_1262414590524086_4714913418493034496_n.jpg

Bowser, Seraphage, Warden and 3 others like this.
  11. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

That one looks great! And the red staff turns out much more fitting than I thought it would... great performance!

Seraphage, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  12. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Thanks, it was a quick turn around but I really enjoyed painting it. Massive change to fantasy stuff, but painting tech was a good experience - particularly with new 40k coming along.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Fabulous Bile is looking fabulous

Bowser and Ritual like this.
  14. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Copy/pastega from https://ritualminiatures.com/blog/post/fabius-bile-repainted

I finished Fabius Bile last week as an entry for the local GW's painting competition and wanted to cover off how I achieved some of the effects and finishes - mostly for my own records as there's a good chance I'll never remember how I got here otherwise.

Fabius was a 1995 metal model given to me by a friend at work, he had played Warhammer in his early teens and by his own admission hadn't cared much for the painting side of things.

This is how Fabius came to me...

[​IMG]

And this is how he ended up...

[​IMG]

I won't cover off the process of how I stripped the paint and rebuilt him using Abaddon's sword, I posted pics of the work in progress in a few different places so you've probably seen them already.

Instead I'm going to go over a few elements of the model and how I achieved them.

[​IMG]

First up is the leather on his coat, for starters I primed this model all in white. Then I used varying colours of browns in different, thin layers on the different patches.

The colours look mismatched until I washed them all in Agrax Earthshade which really pulled them all together.

I used a dry brush and stippled on darker and lighter shades on each panel to give the leather a textured effect. Finally I did a pretty rough and thin highlight around the edges to add some wearing and add to the dirty feel of it.

[​IMG]

The sword was a pretty rough wet blend, washed in both orange and red. I wanted the staff to act as a mirror to the colours of the sword, so added a touch of red to some bronze and used that as the staff colour - again very thin coats so it didn't look too uniform over the white base colour.

The green slime was done by laying multiple light greens and yellows with layers of gloss varnish and a green glaze along the edges to keep it shiny.

The skin was probably my favourite revelation during painting this model - over the white prime I just used Reikland Fleshshade in a thinned down mixture, using a heavier wash in the shadowed areas. I didn't bother doing anything else to it, the skin looked washed out and had enough shadow that I thought it was fine as is.

[​IMG]

I wanted the green to mirror above and below, like the red mirrors left to right, so I went for all green goo in the viles on his back piece.

I believe the original had a white "empty space" above the goo - I didn't think that looked right at all, so went with black. I edged the green with a lighter colour and used the same to add some subtle bubbles in the goo. This was all varnished using gloss varnish to make it look like glass.

The metal was reasonably standard, I just used Nuln Oil generously where I would normally opt for something a little more subtle. I think this really added to the grimy feel of the miniature.

Overall I am very happy with how this guy turned out, it was my first attempt at painting anything 40k related and it was very different to what I was used to painting Age of Sigmar bits, the tech was a nice change.

So there we have it, Fabius Bile restored to his rightful glory... As always; feedback is greatly appreciated.

15. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Currently working on combing a demon prince:

C2186 - Metal Chaos Space Marine Daemon Prince     12-05-04.jpg

With a Bloodthirster:

Bad Bloodthirster.jpg

My plan is to use the wings from the latter and use green stuff to sculpt the back a little more so they fit properly, I'm also working on changing his pose slightly so he's a little more upright...

I'm going to try and find a bigger sword for him too I think.

16. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Great work on that Bile guy!

Ritual likes this.
  17. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

A realy nice report on a really impressive project... really detailed and informative! Great work on both mini and report!
    Have a Spiderman for that! :spiderman:
    Or two... you deserve it! :spiderman:;)

Ritual likes this.
  18. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, he's been entered into the painting competition now anyway... I'll check out what he's up against tomorrow when I am in store handing over money for that new 40k box.

Jorgik and tom ndege like this.
  19. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Surely you going to be in the top three easily... if you won't get disqualified for being much better than the competitors...;)

Ritual likes this.
  20. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

IMG_2222.JPG

Got the bases prepped for the Deathwatch.