1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Salamander shooting and buildnings

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by johho, Jul 15, 2014.

1. johho
    Skink

johho New Member

This last weekend I find a problem that I didnt manage to get a solution for.

There was 3 ogres in a buildning and I wanted to shoot at them with my salamanders.
    So I did, me and my oponents agreed on for now that there would be save bonuses for this since fire and building are a bad matchup for the buildning.

But after the match I tried to find anything on this in the BRB, but I couldnt. There is a piece about templates, but it looks like there are mostly refering to cannons and stonethrowers, I couldnt find anything about the "flame" template.

Can anyone clear this out for me?

2. D43m0nSp4wn
    Saurus

D43m0nSp4wn New Member

Whilst I don't have the BRB to hand to give you a page ref, it is still a template weapon and therefore does d6 hits to the unit in the building.

3. gliiip
    Jungle Swarm

gliiip New Member

Hi, it is a template so it is d6 hits and flamming so re-rolls to wound

4. johho
    Skink

johho New Member

So D6 hits at S4?

5. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Also since it is a flaming attack, you would reroll failed to-wound rolls against targets in buildings.

6. D43m0nSp4wn
    Saurus

D43m0nSp4wn New Member

Yes D6 hits using the profile of the attack, so S4 flaming. As Dyvim points out ^ the flaming element allows you to reroll failed wounds because they are in a building, which is pretty nice.

7. johho
    Skink

johho New Member

Okej, thanks for the info.

8. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The references for the rules others have mentioned are on page 127 under template weapons and the third para on flaming attacks on page 69. Of note, it is important to read the italicized part on page 127 if you have a situation involving multiple wound models with multiple wound template attacks (e.g. cannon ball, stone throwers ). Recently, I was involved in a lizard & dwarves vs ogres & chaos battle where this came in very handy. A unit of 5 leadbelchers (the ogre shooting unit) occupied a building and blasted away. The next turn, my ally hit the building with a flaming cannon ball for 6 wounding hits (thanks to the re-rolling of 1's). The d6 wounds per hit wiped out 3 figures completely and the remaining wounds removed another model and dropped the last one to a single wound. Needless to say, the ogre player was completely shocked as he had forgotten about building rules!

9. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

...Aren't multiple wounds only resolveed against each individual model?

I was fairly certain that I read somewhere in the book that it only applies to each model, and so a d6 wounds cannonball on a single Skink will still only deal 1 wound. The multiple wounds don't carry over.

My local dwarf player told me about that rule, so I'd think it is legit.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: page 45. Any excess wounds are simply wasted.