1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Saurus Warrior Weapon Choices

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Jamie Searle, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

Well I'm sure it's been discussed already, but, Spears or Clubs? I'm just about to build my first unit and am unsure.

I figure probably Spears for maximun damage when I feild large units. Perhaps a single ten man unit with clubs for small actions. Sound like a good plan?

Attached Files:

2. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to lean towards spears, Warriors are absolutely built for horde tactics and are wasted on smaller units so a weapon that gives you bonus attacks via range would most certainly be more welcome.

Jamie Searle likes this.
  3. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

I can second this. From the few games I have played with my warriors , clubs or not, a small is mostly useless for anything but a distraction. With a large unit it seams to be all in the pile in were the more attacks you can get in one go is everything. A warrior with an out of range weapon might as well not be there.

Jamie Searle likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Go spears!

my warriors are mixed but most have spears, I think if you had around 70% spears in a unit you could say the full unit has spears I doubt anyone would object.

5. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Hang on.. that just made me think. A quick skim of the rules and I can't see anything saying all models must have the same weapon. It simply says that must all models in a unit must be from the same scroll. What's to stop you having a front line of clubs with spears in the back? would that be any more advantageous? (sorry if this counts as thread jacking :S)

6. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

"Some units of Saurus Warriors wield Celestite Clubs, while others are armed with Celestite Spears."

7. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Ah...I feel silly now. :facepalm: Just listen to the people who know what they,re doing and go with spears :sorry:

8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Yeah you are silly.
    I only know that you can't do both because I did the exact same thing and wound up being shown that part of the Warscroll too. So I feel you there. :D

Ecozh and Phoedinn like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

But are you allowed to have mostly spears and some with clubs but play as all spears, would your group be fine with that?

10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

You can't mix weapons in a unit but I'm sure you could build or already have built some with clubs and play as spears, will depend on your group but if most are spears.

11. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

As others have stated before me ofcourse.
    But! nothing is there to prevent you from fielding 2 units, 1 smaller with clubs and a bigger one with spears behind it for just that situation you are describing letting the club wielding ones take the damage from 1" ranged weapon enemy units while your spear wielding unit just keeps stabbing around from behind them without loosing anyone (for a while) :)

Jamie Searle likes this.
  12. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Ah but then you have the issue that you still need to charge to be in combat :) You would need to get within 1/2 and inch to be successful and your clubbers would be in the way! You could poke the spears in the gaps but it would limit options, plus some people still measure from the bases :)

13. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Or be charged? Just park your combined units 3" in front of him, he charges the clubbers and pulls the spear dudes automatically in.

You would be getting the slightly better To Wound roll from your first line of clubbers (yeah go parteh!) and with the big enough spear unit get double attacks at better to hit from at least your second line.

14. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Ah! I wasn't aware non-charged units got pulled in :) but you would have to be carefull as a smart opponent could use another unit to pull your formation apart. In the end it might be better just to have one large spear unit and get the bonus for having more guys in the unit.

15. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

This is also the reason why you have to be careful with your own charges and how you position your models as you might get more then you bargained for to early!
    It might in the end. Andy2d6 has a funny sight on such a unit to protect his undead hero (thing) using zombies as a first line defense and then skeleton spears as second. Unwieldy like hell but fun to watch.

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Must be said that, when your big unit is at full health, spears do their job.
    But when your 30 saurus are reduced to 15, you'll miss that little bonus given by clubs...

(that said, I still tend to give spears to big units :p)

17. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

Thanks for all of the disscusion on the point.
    I'm building my army up with three starter sets at its core. That's 36 Saurus Warriors. I guess I'll make 26 with Spears and 10 with Clubs. If I get any more I'll bulk up the Spears to 30 as a next step.

On to the follow up questions. :)
    Stardrake Icons & Wardrums
    Does a Warrior equiped with these lose their Celestite weapon attack? It says nothing about replacing in the unit entry, but clearly the weapon is absent on the model...

Then, if you retain your attacks, what is to stop you adding Stardrake Icons or Wardums to all of the Warriors?

Just to be clear I won't be doing that, it sounds very 'wrong' thematicly. However the sprues come with one for every four Warriors, so perhaps one of each for every five or more likely ten models?

Phoedinn likes this.
  18. Phoedinn
    Razordon

In my GM we play it that they also have their weapon. Honestly you would gain nothing for having all the models have a drum/banner as the abilities do not stack as far as i'm aware. If it bothers you they have no weapons you could always kitbash them to have it 'holstered' for added effect :)

I would ask the group you intend to play with to see what they allow.

19. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

The banner or instrument is just added, so they keep their weapon attacks.
    The effects are not stacked. There is no benefit from having more then 1. especially as you can choose which models to remove as casualty. so the last 3 models in your unit would then be the champion, banner carrier and musician.
    Now if we are going into if they can be carried by one model... so even the last model gets all the benefits... then no.. just no.. the normal modeling scheme doesn't cover that so that would be just cheese.

20. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

Ahh, that's the rule I'd missed. I was taking the closest model as a casualty, hence reserves would help. Thanks
    I'l just make enough for three units then. :)

StealthKnightSteg likes this.