1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Saurus Warriors, Spears vs 1HW and Shield

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Meleemadness, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Meleemadness
    Skink

Meleemadness New Member

Are spears something special over the shield and hand weapon? You get a parry save with the later, what special benefits do you get with spears?

2. DonCheadle
    Skink

DonCheadle New Member

Depends on the rulebook.

In basic 8th you get fighting in an additional rank when not charging, but only when fighting in the front.
    This makes spears a better offensive, but worse defensive option. Funnily enough for the longest time I assumed that Spears also required two hands to use, making them a much worse option.

In 9th Age they've got a couple of additional buffs, namely armour piercing and quasi-killing blow against cav and similar big things.

In 9th Edition, they grant an initiative bonus when charged in the front. This by itself is unimpressive, but considering that supporting attacks got removed, it's damn important.

So yeah, Spears are a more offensive choice and better if you've got the rank and file to support the additional attacks. Shields are defensive and better with smaller Saurus units.

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

In 8th it's generally better to keep the shield/sword because the models you save will keep you going longer and benefit you longer. Spears grants a situational bonus, which you lose the second you lose models in the third rank. Due to I1 this is an issue.

Spears can work, I suppose, If you build your magic around it.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'd only recommend going with spears if you plan to make the unit BIG. Large numbers of troops to soak up damage and maintain the extra rank advantage. Personally I usually opt for sword & board.

5. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

In every edition at this point (except AoS, but i do not care for nor acknowledge AoS) sword and board is the better option, for different reasons.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

In AoS it's more or less the same. Spears are better for large units, while for less than 20 models swords are more efficient.

Bowser likes this.