1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Scar Vet on Carnosaur loadout

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by LordRibbit, Jan 27, 2017.

1. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

So I'm investing in another start collecting box this weekend to broaden my army options, what weapon do people usually like to run on the scar vet? I thinking spear or greatblade, with the artefacts available could com up with some nasty combos....

Bowser and Jason839 like this.
  2. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

I have been running the default weapon for the number of attacks and it's easy to hit and wound stats. But I've been looking into the great weapon to increase my total wound output. If you use the old blood on carnosaurs command ability you can up its attacks by two in the combat phase so that would be really nasty.

Bowser likes this.
  3. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

I'm thinking great blade with relic blade artefact and oldblood command ability 5 attacks 4+ 3+ -1 rend 3 damage....

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I also like the great blade. Mixed with relic blade it is pretty killer

5. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

I think Quicksilver potion is too good to pass up on a Carnosaur if you're putting an item on it. Guaranteeing that you hit first one time can be critical, and attacking with two units before your opponent gets to pick a unit on your turn can be game changing. Against another monster, you'll be able to put a load of wounds on it before it even swings.

The Oldblood command ability bonus attacks give more to the Carnosaur's bites than to the Greatblade if you don't have a relic blade, because they hit on 3+, as opposed to 4+, but if you do have a relic blade, you'd get more out of the base extra attacks from the warblade/war spear than the Greatblade (so you still put the roar bonus attacks on the carnosaur bites), so they are better in pretty much all situations, being more reliable with the extra attacks, with the same potential damage or more.

Even with the extra attacks from the Oldblood, the warblade/spear are giving more potential damage anyway (16 vs 15); you'd need legendary fighter on the regular carnosaur for it to match, but that would mean not having the OB command ability, unless you are running a bloodclaw starhost, in which case, why not run a second Oldblood on carnosaur instead for +4 attacks? So basically, the only time the greatblade is better is with a relic blade when you are running a bloodclaw starhost with 2 Oldbloods on carnosaurs, in which case, you'd probably be wanting the oldbloods to have quicksilver potions anyway.

Unless the target has a save of 4+ or better, the normal blade is the best, with the weapons all being equal against 4+ saves.

Considering most things have a save of 4+ or worse, I'd go with the warblade most of the time, unless you are specializing it to kill those units that do have 3+ or 2+ saves, in which case, the spear and Greatblade are better.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  6. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the rend pretty much makes the rerolls useless since the modifier comes last meaning "If I have a 4+ save and you hit me with -1 rend and I roll a 4, I immediately get wounded without rerolling" so rend really has an important role ( learnt that yesterday that I played 2 more games where I got totally crushed and will write about them at the battlereport page soon )

Bowser likes this.
  7. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

After my recent tournament experience I feel like something with - 2 rend is much needed in my lists. I will be taking mine with a great weapon from now on to see how well it does

Bowser likes this.