1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skink Astrolith Bearer Conversion?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by IronLizard, Sep 11, 2018.

1. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Hi all

Has anyone made a Skink Astrolith Bearer? I love running “Slann leading a brigade of skinks” themed lists in AoS, but the Astro Bearer is so important now that I can’t leave him out - it’s probably just me being odd, but I always think it looks weird that there’s this one Saurus dude hanging out with a bunch of skinks.

If anyone has made a skink-based Astro Bearer could you show me, as I’m struggling for ideas that aren’t “a skink on a 40mm base with a bunch of random bitz”. Or if you haven’t made one, but have a cool idea you wouldn’t mind me “borrowing”, that would be awesome.

Only limitations I have is that I play at GW store, so it needs to be GW miniature(s) for me to be allowed to use it there - historic GW miniatures are fine, provided I can source it on eBay. It has to be on a 40mm round base, and preferably end up roughly the size of the actual Astro Bearer - if it’s smaller than the official model I know certain people at my store will accuse me of modelling for gaming advantage.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

IronLizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Best thing to do with the skink to make him look larger is stand him on something on the base, the thing you may struggle with is the skink hands are smaller than saurus so getting a pole to look right, I would use a brass rod or similar for that as it's sturdy and won't bend.

IronLizard likes this.
  4. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Thanks for the above - I did think that making a Saurus standard fit a skink hand would be pretty difficult. I thought about maybe making some kind of sacrifice/temple looking platform with the skink standing on it, or maybe having two skinks carrying an icon looking thing on some kind of platform.

5. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

You could always go for a pair or more skink holding it up ?

Maybe two holding up and a third ready to defend it with a pick - or praying to it to draw the power from it?

6. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

I think I can get two skinks on a 40mm base, so I might have a look at trying that if I can put together a cool looking icon from my bitz box.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

That's why I think that the Skink Oracle (which is a lot larger than a regular Skink) can work for that.
    But the idea of using two Skinks is nice as well. Would also fit the warscroll more nicely, the Astrolith Bearer has four attacks. So each Skink makes two, which is more realistic for a Skink. :)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

;D all in the logistics

9. Workschmock
    Saurus

Workschmock Member

Guys, I love you!
    I've had the exact same idea about a week ago and this is the result. And yesterday I remembered I do have a spare skink oracle from the troglodon kit, which led to me wanting to bite my own a*s XD
    But then I started to convert him to a skink priest - all's well, that ends well.
    Skink astrolith bearer parts are:
    Head from skink ripperdactyl alpha,
    Body, feathers, arms and legs of a skink starpriest, Standard pole from him as well,
    Standard upper parts of the ark of sotek bits of the bastiladon kit and bits of the Ripperdactyls,
    Greenstuff by Greenstuffworld.com (since it is waayy cheaper than GW ;))
    Pebble from italy (vacation.. Plz do not report me to the authorities!)

EDIT: Thank you Imrahil :)

It's not yet finished. The Greenstuff on the pole is a WIP snake (primarily to stabilize the whole thing and keep it from toppeling over. Without it, the staff snapped from the arm when the miniature fell down yesterday).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  10. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Awesome looking conversion!!

Really impressive looking skink, tough guy ;)

Gr, Imrahil

Crowsfoot and Workschmock like this.
  11. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Amazing idea I might have to do that some time later this year if you don't mind :p

12. Workschmock
    Saurus

Workschmock Member

Thank you both, that's so kind. I will try to paint it in the upcoming week and post the end result. @Sreeves : I am glad to hear it inspired you for a similar conversion. If you do it, post some pics as I am excited to see more of those skink astrolith studs ;D