1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skink Cohort Conversion

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Sudaj, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

Hey fellow Lizarman players,
    I have been working on some customized Skinks to be used in my Skink Cohort unit.
    I have never actually used Skrox (Skink and Kroxigor mixed units) before, but I would love to give it a try, since I play 8th edition.

Anyway, I wanted to create a custom unit of skinks for this purpose... but I have little Conversion/customization experience. So here are my Work in Progress units!

"Leaping Lizard"

"Skink Command Troupe"

Looking forward to any constructive criticism you more experienced customizers and converters may have!

Warden, Zheddikus, Jorgik and 3 others like this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looking good. :D

ps. can you rank up your command unit? (incase you want to play 8th or 9th)

Warden and Sudaj like this.
  3. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

I can, actually. The Brave fits perfectly between the hanging parts of the Standard. The Musician is a little trickier... and so far I have him standing at a ridiculous angle to fit... but oh well.

4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I really like the leaping lizards! That's absolutely perfect for the mixed unit and just such a cool and dynamic pose!

spess and Sudaj like this.
  5. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Love it hope you don't mind I will have to ark most of my skinks be leaping now that you ave shown its not to hard to make I work ;){

Jorgik, Bowser and Sudaj like this.
  6. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

Haha, fine by me. I'm still working on the blocking... but it seems like 1 in 3, or 1 in 4 is about perfect...
    I have 6 of them now, in a rank of 28 total Skinks and 3 Krox. Honestly, 2 or 4 more would be just about right, but it works for now!

Bracnos and Bowser like this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

That standard is excellent. Where did all the pieces come from if you remember ??

Warden and spess like this.
  8. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

I'm not 100% sure, I have a ton of random bits laying around... but I think the top piece is from a Temple Guard set, the middle parts are either from a box of Cold One cavalry or possibly a stegadon box, the tails/streamers are from a Saurus warrior standard, and the pole is custom a converted javelin.

Warden, Jorgik and spess like this.
  9. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

What you've done with the jumping skink is really cool. As mentioned it makes a dynamic figure, which makes a dynamic army which is neat.

Something that I've had success with lately is cork. It's a super easy material to use that can create a good substitute for rocks or greenstuff platforms for dynamic basing like this. Just tear off a small piece and toss it down on a base. You can buy it at most hardware or crafting stores -- just be mindful that it is pure cork instead of cork layered with paper!

Really nice job for beginning conversions though. The lizardmen have a ton of great bitz to work with and I think your standard came out great! Keep it up!

Warden, Jorgik, Sudaj and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

Much appreciated Spess, I have considered trying cork, and probably will soon. Right now I'm just trying to use up some of the old basing junk I have accumulated over the years... younger me thought peat moss would be great! (Haha... it's not)

spess, Bowser and Jorgik like this.
  11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

It looks like pieces from the stegadon box, but I cant remember either. Looks like a simple but effective conversion!

Nice idea with the leaping lizard. I have a hard enough time trying to rank up my skirmishers when they get into close combat, I can only imagine ranking up with kroxigors are difficult on account of all the tails :mad:. Well done!

Sudaj likes this.