1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skittles' Stampede

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Boshea, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

Started Seraphon back with GHB 2018 because AoS finally lets me run all the big dumb monsters that just got punked by artillery/magic in WHFB. Have since shifted that plan to more of a Summoning/Cavalry focus, but can still summon in more Carnosaurs. For a theme I looked to basing my army out of Hysh mostly for Aetherquartz Brooch to really stack on Carno Commands. Since I was going for the Realm on light decided to paint my army rainbow. Why Rainbow? Two reasons, the first being it gets me out of my standard painting practice of earth tones and monochrome. Second, I wanted to make an army based around Little Skittles.

If Scyla Anfingrimm can go play bloodbowl, then Little Skittles can lead a Seraphon army. The "Lore" is that after his illustrious blood bowl career his power of foresight has allowed him to ascend reality and aid the Seraphon in their battle against Chaos.
    [​IMG]
    Starseer is already a gorgeous model, so didn't really want to change much. Swapped the crystal ball for a football he can channel through, and add the crystal ball to the staff. For now he's going to be proxied for a Slaan in my list. I have a Slaan model if an opponent wants to get picky or for tournaments, but for fun games he gets to be the Starmaster.

Currently the plan in to get the following 2K list paints.
    Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    - War Spear
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)

Battleline
    40 x Saurus Warriors (330)
    - Spears

Units
    10 x Saurus Knights (160)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances

Battalions
    Firelance Starhost (150)
    Dracothion's Tail (80)

Endless Spells / Terrain
    Chronomantic Cogs (80)
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Prismatic Palisade (30)
    Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Still a lot of debate on some of the stuff I have in the list, but settled on this to work towards for now. Most of the things I'm debating on would near the end of the work queue anyways, like endless spells, or heroes.

My original color scheme was the following.
    [​IMG]
    Kind of lost interest in the project for some time, then got interested in working on them again fora few reasons. Crendor's own interest in picking up AoS, needing a break from 40k after two GTs, and Contrast paint. Contrast paint in the big one, since painting this many lizards in varying color schemes was very time consuming with my old method. However Contrast is a life saver. First step was figuring out if I wanted to base White or Grey, and seeing how it compared to the old method.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've since switched Magos Purple, for Shyish Purple since I need a much deeper purple. Also despite being billed as "One Thick Coat", learned less is more otherwise it pools really bad if you get reckless. I did have a few guys who never got primed so was able to get a handful done in red to compare how it look fully painted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I kept the off color crest look since the head crest, since it doesn't look great with contrast. Rushed the shields and you can see what I mean about less is more to stop pooling. Didn't bother to do the spines in orange with the new method since head crest and shield I feel give enough of color pop. Once I get all 40 ranked up I may change my opinion on that. Only things I really needed to paint on them were the bone areas, the metalics, and the leather strap on the shield.

2. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

Couldn't fit this all in one post
    So the only issue now was that all my models are currently primed black. Fortunately, Super Clean and a few coats of White primer fixed that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now to see how many of these guys I can get done in a day with the new paint plan. If anyone is curious of my contrast choices
    Vallejo White Surface Primer
    Blood Angels Red
    Gryph-Hound Orange
    Iyanden Yellow
    Warp Lightning
    Magos Purple in the pictures, but switching to Shyish Purple
    Planning on Talassar Blue for heroes

3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This. I love this!

Warden likes this.
  4. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

Managed to get Red and Orange completely done. I need to go over them and do touch-ups, but going to to leave that until after I do bases since I know I'll need to do it again. Champion and Standard bearer also done
    [​IMG]
    Also to save time tomorrow just got the contrast thrown on for the remaining three colors. Outside of the top crest and the shield, everybody is basically the same paint steps. Speaking of top crests, pretty sure it took me longer to do the yellow top crests then painting all the red guys. First 5 I did Averland Sunset, then tried to build up to my Deep Yellow, took an eternity. Last three I did the crest with yellow contrast then tried to build up to Deep Yellow, also took forever and still has some darker spots in it. As annoying as it is, Averland is the way to go for anymore I need to do.
    [​IMG]
    Shyish Purple is the complete opposite of Magos. Once I get some other colors on them should tone it down a bit, and it works pretty well when in a group.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully can hammer out the next three colors tomorrow.

5. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

Warriors all done. Here a comparison for the five colours against my old scheme
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Group shot
    [​IMG]

Command
    [​IMG]

Full Unit
    [​IMG]

They definitely need some touch-ups, but waiting until after I base them since I'll likely clip a few legs doing bases. Also slowly remembering how to get decent mini photos again. Probably doing Astrolith next before the knights since he won't be much different than the warriors. Just a fancier banner and I put him on a scenic base I need to figure out what I'm doing with. I also have some things I want to try on my test models to help break up the colours a little more

Warden, NIGHTBRINGER, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

That's such a fun idea. :)

Warden and LizardWizard like this.
  7. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Awesome colours! Those look great!

8. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

Not much for Seraphon progress due to being out of white primer. All my old black primed stuff has been stripped. To get a better coverage with the white, think I'm going to give them all one coat of grey to help cover the black easier. Also after watching the Warhammer TV Contrast guide for Seraphon I think I'll try doing the scales in a darker color to help break up the models more. Will be easy enough on ever color except purple, since every other model will be getting Darker scales. Purple I would need to redo in my original purple, then do scales with updated purple. Can always test on first batch of guys to see what I like. At least trying to keep busy to not start slacking on painting again. Working on my Knight Lance for the time being since i can prime it black.
    [​IMG]
    Go Hawkshroud. Need to clean up my spray with a layer of just regular Averland, then go metalics and details. Since the spray worked out should be a quick project to get basics down since 90% of hawkshroud's color scheme is yellow and metal. Citadel air while effective, is thick AF and another reason I need to grab flow improver when I pickup paint supplies.

9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

At first I thought, what is this guy doing.

Then I watched the video and I am just dying and now 100% endorse this army idea :D:D:D

Really clever, and I like how you tied Blood Bowl fluff into your army by allowing the star player (long after he has retired from his pigskin days) moving on and taking command of an elite force of rainbow-thumpers! Great idea having him as a proxy for your general too, I think if you explain the fluff to people it should work out for you 90% of the time, 99% if they have watched the video.

The saurus look great as a group, fantastic color choices and I really enjoyed your "skittles comparison shots."

Taste that rainbow :cool:

Imrahil likes this.
  10. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

[​IMG]
    Not a bad for a day project. Needs a decent amount of touch-ups and all the heraldry. Banner and Crest are separate to help free hand. Tried just brushing on the white which worked for the knee and the chest, but was hell on the shoulder. Fortunately had some Titanium White high flow acrylic to just airbrush. Going to do that immediately for the other two. Also should have done the smart thing and primed him metal instead of black to save time. Everybody already has their yellow on so may not be an option for the bodies, but can do it for the weapons at least. Also going to airbrush the yellow for the weapons since despite how good Averland is for doing yellows, still a pain to cover black.

Hopefully be able to start working on Seraphon again next week.

Aginor, Warden and LizardWizard like this.
  11. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

[​IMG]
    Got primer, so everybody is prepped for Contrast now. Primed extra Knights just so I can paint them in sets of 5 for each colour combo.
    [​IMG]
    Also did a test of dark scales with lighter skin. May be the colours but not a fan of it. I'll see how Knights turn out with solid colors, but I'll probably need to do something to break up the Carnosaurs.

12. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

I think I would leave this dark scale color as a color between the scales and overpaint with a midtone the top of the scales.

LizardWizard and Warden like this.
  13. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That new purple dude looks great! :smuggrin:

Looking forward to seeing all those cavalry dudes done as well!

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. Boshea
    Saurus

Boshea Active Member

[​IMG]
    Cold ones are all painted, and first set also has riders painted. I forgot how much of a pain most knight models are to paint if you don't do them in separate pieces. Downside of priming white is anything I can't get to will be more noticeable than if it was black. Once I get the metalics and details on them, it should break the colours up more.