1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Skrox units?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Kajchi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Kajchi
    Skink

Kajchi New Member

I've been following the rumours for 8th a bit, and I'm thinking that these units could be getting a boost...

Just imagine: 3 or so krox in a large unit of skinks. If I am correct, enough skink should make this unit stubborn, but still pretty cheap. Throw in the toughness spell from lore of life and the enemy shouldn't be able to kill enough of the skinks, let alone kroxigors...

So what do you guys think? Good idea or complete failure? I'm not really a great theoryhammerer, but I was just suprised that I hadn't seen anything about skrox in 8th... So let's make this a discussion thread about them :D

2. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

I think it works pretty well, krox deal damage, skinks won't die cuz of T6

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Also javelins now have an unrestricted stand an shoot action. :D
    and they can throw javs in two ranks. :)

4. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Well the two ranks won't help in skrox units much, unless we get errata that puts the kroxigors in the third rank.

The thing that may help them as well is that there is no longer a turn maneuver in 8th, so skrox may be able to move backwards and sideways without wheeling(a small thing really but could be useful in some situations).

5. Kajchi
    Skink

Kajchi New Member

I hear a lot of good things and no bad things, so I gues I'll be prepping my krox for the 24-hour challenge xD

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yea the 2 ranks shooting is more of a bonus for just plain cohorts.
    as some units might actualy fear charging them, on threat of
    10 poisoned stand and shoot... umm shots. Ok admitedly not many
    units but what do you expect for 50 points. ;)

7. Scarecrow
    Saurus

Scarecrow New Member

They'll be even more important in 8th since you need at least 2 ranks to be able to negate enemy flanks and the only unit Lizards have that can do that effectively is Skorks (at least on the cheap).

8. Dan Heelan
    Skink

Dan Heelan New Member

I used 24 skink (full command) with 3 krox yesterday (in 8th), very tasty and flexbile unit in the new rules. Quite a good anvil as it deals a lot of damage, stand and shoots and you and is very hard to reduce its ranks as the krox do well filling the ranks.

The synergy with life magic makes them quite brutal!

D

9. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

But being it's from Lore of Life that means your one great spell caster has to take a lore which doesn't have as flexible or withstanding spell lists as some of our other more widely used lists. This means your giving up a list which, IMHO, for one which is less effective all for a single spell...

Just a thought.

10. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

What single spell are you talking about? All of life is pretty damn good in 8th.

11. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

As compaired to Lore of Fire or Lore of Metal though? Or perhaps even Lore of Death or (dare I say) Lore of Beasts?

But I will say something for certain. GW did a better job this rendition in leveling the differant lores of magic to make them each appealing in their own way. Thus we won't have certain lores which are rarely (if ever) used.

But as I said before, just my humble opinion.

12. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Actually yes I like lore of life better then all of those for the most part(though they all have their place). I am not saying it is the end all be all of lores. Just that there is definitely more than one spell in lore of life that makes it worth it.

13. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

I ran 2x 24&3 skrox units in a lot of my 7th edition games to moderate success, so this new edition has me jumping for joy.

Life lore seems to have great synergy with Temple Guard as well, with the spell that makes Slann resistant to miscast, and the ability to raise up fallen guards. T5 skinks will be icing on the cake for me (as well as healing nearby stegadon).

Oh, and don't forget the Dweller Below spell; take that, big block of elves or goblins!

14. lazylizard
    Temple Guard

lazylizard New Member

you can raise up the dead with lore of life? i was just playing an 8th ed yesterday with the lore of life and i didn't see anywhere on that spell where you regain wounds that you can regain models.

15. Rated G
    Skink

Rated G New Member

It's Regrowth, the number 5 spell. Allows you to "regrow" d3+1 models to a unit. If its boosted by Throne of Vines, you can regrow d6+1.

16. Sebulba
    Temple Guard

Sebulba New Member

The best parts about them? Fear, poison, strength 6 and movement 6. Buff them when they need it or when you know they're about to be shot. They have ranks which entails breaking ranks and steadfast. Probably one of the better support units we get.