1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Tired of the same old Slann pose? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering your own version to the Golden Slann competition - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog So, My Painting Blog, The Journey Starts....

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Christopher, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Christopher
    Skink

Christopher Member

I'm a beginning painter, and have only painted ten models of the hundred plus Seraphon I own (all Skinks), but a painting blog seems like a good way to track my progress, both in terms of getting better at it and in terms of getting more models painted.

Is it as simple as going to the Painting Blogs subforum in the Painting and Modelling area and starting a new thread? Just push the same button I did to ask this question, I mean? Or is a "blog" some special kind of thread that requires additional or at least different actions?

Here's the first little guy I ever painted! Grrr!

IMG_1961 2.JPG

Warden, Captaniser, tom ndege and 3 others like this.
  2. Aginor
    Skink Priest

Aginor Well-Known Member

It is easy. Just start a thread in the correct section, maybe give it the "blog" keyword but that's pretty much it.
    If you ask politely our friends and mods might just move and rename this one. :)

n810, Crowsfoot and Christopher like this.
  3. Christopher
    Skink

Christopher Member

Sounds like an excellent plan! I'll message them!

Cheers!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

All sorted ;)

5. ravagekitteh
    Kroxigor

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

He looks pretty good!

6. Christopher
    Skink

Christopher Member

Thanks, ravagekitteh! And thanks for suggesting this, Aginor! And thinks for setting this thread, Crowsfoot!

I first got interested in Warhammer some years back when I found some paint supplies and some unassembled Astra Militarum (then Imperial Guard) models at an estate sale. I bought the stuff, stuck it in a cupboard, and promptly forgot about it until I started reading some of the novels. I bought a few paints, made a mess of the models, and put the stuff back in the cupboard.

Then I got interested in the Adepta Sororitas models for some reason, so I bought a bunch of them, and a bunch of paints and supplies and I've been messing about with them for about 18 or 24 months now. One day my wife went with me to GW and wandered over to the fantasy side of the shop, and said, "Have you seen these dinosaurs riding other dinosaurs wielding glowing spears?"

I had not.

Thus my introduction to Age of Sigmar. If this really is three or four or five hobbies in one (collecting, building, painting, playing, reading), I've mainly concentrated on the collecting and the reading (mostly fiction over rules books). I've collected quite a few models for both of my armies, though, and have lately built most of them and primed most of them. Those of you following my misadventures in the Battle Reports forum know that I've also started playing AoS lately, and now I want to get my models painted. Back in the spring, I painted ten Skinks, all in one go in a couple of hours at the shop while hanging out and enjoying the conversation and so on. I think I'm a better painter now, though I'm probably a bit daft to take this on as my first major project.

Behold! My paint station!

IMG_2528.JPG
    I'm not a great hand at color theory, so I'm doing here what I usually do, or what I've usually done since the Citadel Paint App went live. I make a careful study of my model under magnification, identifying distinct "paint areas," and then I choose what color scheme I'm going to use for each area in the App. I'll use my base coat brushes (S, M, and for the first time ever on this model, L) to lay down all the base coats listed for each individual scheme. Then I'll do washes, then layers and edges with my Artificer brushes. Or rather, that's how I've been doing it on the non-Citadel models (mostly Reaper Pathfinder figures) I've been painting for practice over the last couple of months.

This coming Saturday, our shop is having our Christmas party, and one of the activities is a sort of free-for-all Monster Brawl for AoS models. Since I'm actually ahead on my deadlines for once, I've decided to take a few hours a day over the next five days to try to complete my favorite large model, this guy:

IMG_2529.JPG

I've identified, I think, 23 distinct "paint areas" on the Carnosaur proper, including the reins and howdah straps. I've already decided on the color schemes for those areas, and for the rock he's perched on and the base itself. I did all that last night, but tired out before I got to make my study of the Scar-Veteran, his howdah, and his accoutrements, which I anticipate will add at least 20 more paint areas.

So that's what I'm off to do now. After I've finished my study and chosen the remaining color schemes, I'll start on the base coating. I think I'll probably work either from the bottom up (starting with the rock and claws) or the inside out (starting with the Carnosaur's palate, tongue, and teeth). Since this is such a large model, I'm betting I'll wind up actually moving around a bit if and when I get bored with, say, either extremely fine detail work (basing the buckles on the howdah straps, for example) or great swaths of the same color (undercarriage and scales). I also, at this point, plan to paint pretty much the entire Carnosaur before I get started on the Scar-Veteran and his howdah. That may change, too.

Wish me luck!

Warden, Padre, Lherad and 5 others like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

We await your next up date, nice paint station.

Christopher likes this.
  8. Aginor
    Skink Priest

Aginor Well-Known Member

Indeed a nice paint station, it looks very professional!
    Lots of colors, too.
    Looking forward to seeing more! :)