1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spammage

Discussion in 'Ideas, problems and feedback' started by Old Mossy, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Seems like a lot of spam hitting the boards recently. Have you thought about implementing something simple like featured here: http://www.thesamet.com/blog/2006/12/21/fighting-spam-on-phpbb-forums/

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah we have been getting bombed pretty bad lately... I just deleted loads of spam. Thanks to the people that keep reporting them, and thanks to everyone else for not replying and just ignoring them until a mod/admin can get rid of them. We do zap them as soon as we see them.

I'll look at implementing that code soon to stop them or at least slow them down. Thanks for pointing it out.

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

So it's back :p
    Just wondering if you guys are thinking about trying something new. Something like post approval until you've had 2 posts accepted, except for the introductions forum? Or maybe switching the registration spam-check questions up a bit. Or temporarily banning the bloody word 'kitchen'...

It's only mildly annoying, anyway, but add up the time taken to report and process each post, maybe it's worth it?

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am working on it. It is driving me bat-sh!t crazy! I will look at that. I would not mind approving the first two posts. Banning the word kitchen will work too.

Thanks for the input.

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

I have changed some of the permissions to hopefully stop the spam.

6. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

but what if I really want new cabinetry and don't know who to call? :(

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Anyone that has joined the forum will not be allowed to post without approval until they reach 5 posts. This will keep everyone but the moderators from seeing the spam.

8. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Man I've been clearing out a ton of these kitchen ones, and it just won't stop. I think we should start spamming their website

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

I tried that. For the last three days I have done that. It is just so time consuming to do it.

10. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

LOL Awesome

11. Why
    Skink

Why New Member

Getting posts approved is really annoying! 2 posts instead of 5 would be much less irritating. But I'm new on here so I guess I can't say much.

Weird Asrai.org recently had some serious problems with kitchen bots as well. Whoever created it should be f :mad: