1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars (and a collection of memes)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Star Trek or Star Wars; which do you like better?

1. Star Trek

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Star Wars

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

70257645_2370419073180450_6916889421111361536_n.jpg

...still... it didn't turn out too well for the Count.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The base idea is funny but it was poorly constructed.

It would work a lot better with "Purchased the loot boxes, she has."

Aginor and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

70224489_502159610577680_4466906252881952768_n.jpg

I'd say that drop in quality does not equate with a loss of a single wifi bar. More like your modem catches fire, burns down your house with your young children trapped inside.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I'd say the single Wifi bar is pretty appropriate between RotJ and TLJ.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

As I knew you would.

69873609_2808310079182374_4042488197555421184_n.jpg

Aginor likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Just out of curiousity Nightbringer. How do you rank the first three episodes of Star Wars. At the time, Episode 3 was the one I enjoyed least in the theaters because for episode 1 and 2 I was still coasting emotionally on my good will for the Star Wars franchise. But looking back at the movies years later, I believe episode 3 was the best of the prequels because it had the best constructed story. Episode 3 just feels worse because human beings are hardwired to remember the beginning and the end of something the most clearly and Episode 3 had a fairly weak beginning where they constantly shifted between wacky slapstick and deadly serious and a very weak ending that had this.

Episode 1 did not have a protagonist. It also introduced us to metachlorines...and Jar Jar. But I don't view Jar Jar as a very big problem like some others. Episode 2 did not have any real character arcs other than a very cringy romance plot involving a lack of sand. Episode 3 had a protagonist, character arcs, and reasonable dialogue. I would also state that Palpatine was the most interesting character in all the prequels because he is the only one that ever emotes.

As for the original series, Empire Strikes back is my favorite, and is the plurality of Star War's fan's favorite movie. I cannot decide whether I like A New Hope or Return of the Jedi better. Everything I dislike most in the original trilogy is in Return of the Jedi (that's where stormtroopers really become a joke, Boba Fett's death was anticlimactic, the droid torture scene was really dumb, Chewie getting the good guys trapped because he wanted to eat a dead thing) but the fight scenes were so much better and Luke's character arc was masterfully done.

Aginor and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

My ranking is:
    • Episode III
    • Episode I
    • Episode II

Episode III is the clear winner when it comes to the prequels. There are many great moments in that film. The lightsaber fights are solid, the Darth Plagueis Opera scene is fantastic, next to no Jar Jar and this gem...

If the Anakin-Padme romantic scenes were re-worked, along with some of the wonky dialogue and Padme dying from sadness... Episode III could almost contend with the weakest entry in the OT (for me that is A New Hope). Dialogue aside, the story is quite emotional and impactful. Watching the fall of the Jedi order is an extremely significant event, as is the fall of Anakin, the destruction of the Obi + Ani friendship and the rise of the emperor. The movie feels like it as significantly more substance to it. I also feel that it has the advantage of being able to utilize the elements of the overall story arc that were set up in the previous two movies (something that episode IX cannot claim).

Next up is Episode I. Its most obvious draw back is the very large amount of time that Jar Jar is on screen. However, it has (what is in my opinion) the very best lightsaber fight of all the Star Wars movies. In comparison to Episodes II & III it also benefits from not having the Padme-Anakin romantic scenes. It also has one of my favourite Prequel character's, Qui-Gon. I am likely in the minority, but I like Qui-Gon significantly more than Prequel Obi-Wan. That is not a knock on Ewan McGregor, his character is great, but I really like Qui-Gon. And of course.... we have Darth Maul. A simple character, but one whose presence made a huge impact (I prefer him over Count Dooku).

Last and definitely least is Episode II. For the longest time I rated this higher than Episode I due to the Jar Jar factor. However, after re-watching the movies recently, I reevaluated Phantom Menace and placed it far above Attack of the Clones. The Padme-Anakin scenes in Episode II are gag inducing; I absolutely can't stand them. The lightsaber fight, although fun, is worse than those found in Episodes I or III. Ultimately it doesn't have the strength of story of Episode III or the Maul + Qui-Gon cool factor of Episode I.

To be fair, I think most prequel fans and prequel haters would rate ROTS far above the other two.

Most definitely.

Aginor likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

19. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I mostly agree with @NIGHTBRINGER about the prequels. I just don't like some elements of episode 3 and I am not really bothered by Jar Jar so 1 and 3 are closer together in my book.
    And don't get me wrong, even 2 has its merits, but it is still the worst one in my book, probably the worst Star Wars movie even, although I haven't decided on that yet. Nostalgia clouds judgement.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann