1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars (and a collection of memes)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Star Trek or Star Wars; which do you like better?

1. Star Trek

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Star Wars

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It works tremendously well in that regard. It also is effective in reaching large numbers of people who are sitting on the fence. Where it fails (completely) is when trying to convert someone who holds the opposite opinion.

They are not mutually exclusive. They often accompany one another. The ridicule tactic only truly works when accompanied by facts (which is what we saw in the video).

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I disagree there. It works especially well if you present only the facts that match it (or parts thereof). Joseph Goebbels was known to use that tactic and it worked great.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Could you elaborate this point. I want to make sure I understand your point.

I must admit that I have no idea who that is, so I can't comment on it.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

5. Aginor
    Slann

Sure. I can write more about it later (time constraints right now, I just got home), but basically the thing is that if you provide enough depth for the facts supporting your opinion on some topic and don't mention the other ones (or do so only superficially) then you can create the impression of a consensus when in reality there is none. That's the first step.
    If you then support your side with jokes, then your side is more entertaining, which will make the audience remember your arguments better, especially those related to the joke. It even works with outright lies, but then it is harder. The order in which you present arguments is also very important in that regard.
    It is a mainstay of modern propaganda (from all sides).

He was a master of propaganda in the 1930s and 1940s and actually led the "Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda" in the 3rd Reich. He wrote many speeches for Hitler and was part of his inner circle.
    He made a lot of comments about the nature of propaganda (both his and the propaganda of the opposite side) that provided insights on how extremely organized (and intelligently orchestrated) the Nazi propaganda machine was.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I agree with all of that.

You bring up an interesting point, that is, what to do with facts that counter one's point of view. In a discussion, things that counter your point of view are just as important as the things that support it. When it comes to debates, things become trickier. In an honest debate, I think it best to acknowledge the counter evidence and then discuss why your point of view is still relevant and should prevail (similar to the process that should go on inside of one's mind when formulating their viewpoint to begin with). All points and counterpoints are acknowledged, weighed against one another and the debate goes from there. This has the advantage of maximizing the chances of arriving at "the truth". The ideas that result from such a process are well informed and grounded. This is my preferred method.

In a win at all cost debate (such as politicians vying to be elected), often the opposite is true. Admitting or acknowledging counter facts is risky because it can "lose" you the debate. Someone who presents themselves and their side as strong and infallible is often conflated with someone who is right. Important factors to consider are the format of the debate (how long you have to speak, how deeply topics are discussed, etc.), the goal of the debate, the audience and so on. Acknowledging and thoughtfully considering counter facts can be seen as a weakness by a general audience, especially if not everyone debating is willing to do so. The advantage of this method is that by not allowing counter facts to take a foot hold, your stance appears stronger to the audience and you are more likely to walk away with the victory (such as getting the vote and being elected). The weakness of course is that the we do not move towards the "truth" and in many cases can actually regress. Absolute truth is pushed aside in exchange for garnering support to your side.

In truth, we usually have a combination of the above and the thing that differs is to degree to which each school of thought sways the exchange.

ravagekitteh and Aginor like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

This post deserves a like. That's mostly the way I see it as well.

My personal problems are twofold.
    1. That I find myself doing the first one when everybody else is doing the second one because I am convinced that it should be the only way a discussion should go (hence my habit to insist on discussing "with" someone, not "against" someone)
    2. That I try (and often fail) to turn a type #2 into a type #1 by presenting arguments of the other side of the discussion when the people I discuss with are really just in search of confirmation instead of the truth.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I hear you on that one. It is very difficult if not impossible to employ type #1 when the opposition is using type #2

That is a very difficult but noble effort to take on. I must admit that I will often resort to employing type #2 tactics when they are employed against me. A fight fire with fire mentality. Not saying that it is the right (or wrong) approach on my part, but if I am being honest, that is the way it usually goes down. I'm a bit of a social/debating chameleon in that regard, I blend into whatever environment I find myself in (and yes, I recognize chameleons don't actually use their colour changing abilities to blend into their surroundings in nature, a more accurate, though less used analogy would have likened it to one of those stealthy species of octopuses)

My calm and contemplative Slann side quickly gives way to my blessings from the dark gods!

9. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah I am the other way round there, when I notice that it doesn't work I usually just leave, because it isn't worth debating then as the goal of a proper discussion cannot be reached. I just hope that I can at least motivate a third party reading the discussion to pick up some of the counter arguments, hoping that they will have a chance to come to their own conclusions.

I am not very competitive, so having an argument for the sake of argueing isn't fun for me.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Truth be told, that is probably a healthier mentality than mine...

Chaos, it marks us all. (evidently it doesn't seem to mark @Aginor ... but it certainly marks NIGHTBRINGER!)

That makes sense, most people that know me consider me to be highly competitive.

It is at these times that I get to drastically increase my forum word count!

Aginor likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. Aginor
    Slann

Oh, it certainly marks me as well. It is just different for everyone.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann