1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Starseer mindgames

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Ryojin, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Ryojin
    Skink

Ryojin Member

I have been losing way too many Starseer rerolls to my opponents and they pretty much cost me today's game where my opponent (goblins) got double turn to start with and after I had a lackluster double turn it happened again with me losing the rolls.

I'm starting to consider rolling a die randomly so I can at least blame the dice gods for the atrocious luck.:(

Any tips, fun or terribad stories on the topic?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Out of curiosity: What were the numbers your opponent guessed?
    If I'd be playing against a Starseer I'd probably guess 4, 5, or 6 more often. Who tries to get just one insight?

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

depends on your opponent really, getting one insight is better than your opponent getting it.

Bowser and Aginor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah, that's true I guess. :D

Bowser likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I used to roll randomly, recently I choose 1 or 2, and if I have played the opponent a couple of times, I will bump it up and go 6 or 5 first turn or two, and back down to 1 or 2.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

If it's my first time playing the opponent, which is important, I usually go with 3 or 4 the first round. Then if you are playing conservatively you can go for 2 or 3 to either go for a double turn or prevent on from your opponent. After that I will assess the state of the game and go for more aggressive numbers. My goal is 4 rerolls. That's just how I do it.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Also, If you aren't confident you can get close to 3 or 4 rerolls a turn, the Starseer may not be worth the points. I sometimes struggle with it as well. 160 points isn't super cheap. While getting 1 re-roll for you is better than giving some to your opponent, it isn't worth 160 points.

Sorry for the super competitive view, that's just where my brain goes haha.

Ryojin, Seraphage, Crowsfoot and 2 others like this.
  8. Aginor
    Slann

That randomness combined with the high cost is what made me not get one.
    I will probably get one in the future to try out that Heavenswatch Starhost, but that's about it.

9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would say the starseer is well worth it. Curse of fates is worth the cost alone, the ability is a bonus that has saved me more than it has ever hurt me. It's a dice game, there will always be randomness. The odds are not always spot on, I have rolled double 1s for 3 charges in a row, and then failed all my attacks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Aginor, Crowsfoot and Joshua Horchler like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I agree 160 point for one reroll is not worth it but your opponent would never say "1" and they would not expect you to put the dice at "1" either.

Ryojin, Bowser and Aginor like this.
  11. Ryojin
    Skink

Ryojin Member

I've lost quite high rolls to my opponent, last game was a 5 and a 3, the game before that a 6 and a 4 (different opponents). The thing that hurt most was losing the iniative advantage which I was counting on.

Good points so far. I've come to the same conclusion that one or two rerolls are not worth it, but more than that and the seer feels justified. I'm not sure if the curse of fates is that good. It's only one roll you get to modify. However my aos gaming experience is sparse.

Well, will have to just keep playing all kinds of stuff and see if I can start getting the rerolls off better, or change my lists to not include the seer.

Bowser likes this.
  12. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

I always start with a 6, your opponent will think you wouldn't be so crazy so go for 4 or 5 instead in my experience. Depending on my opponent I go either 6 or 4 second turn

Bowser and Ryojin like this.
  13. Xillan
    Skink

Xillan Member

Yeah you have to kind of play mind games with them. I usually start super low 1-2, and make an off-hand comment like "I always forget to use all 6 re-rolls anyway haha!" then next round pick 6.

Ryojin and Bowser like this.
  14. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

rofl

good one ahaha :p:D

Bowser and Xillan like this.
  15. Days to Daze
    Skink

Days to Daze Member

I love this ability.
    Personally against unknown apponents it's has to be a 6, at least for the first 2 turns.
    Your going to win more often than not.
    Against well known apponents it gets a little tricky. It's all situational really.

Good fun though. And if they win so what, makes the game more interesting. :)

How would it work with the rule of one? They win the insights. You have a reroll each phase on one of your units anyway because of the spell. They decide to force you to re roll once you make use of the 1 reroll in the shooting phase for instance. Can they do this or is it just one re roll per unit in that phase.
    Also is it legal to force a reroll for initiative? Doesn't that fall into the next turn, but before the first phase? Or is it the final action of a turn?

Bowser, Xillan and Ryojin like this.
  16. Ryojin
    Skink

Ryojin Member

I think the one whose turn it is has the right to go first, so if you have rerolls and its your turn your opponent cant make you reroll things. Yoi can never ever reroll a reroll.

Iniative is no exception. But remember you can reroll your roll and your opponent's so you have two chances to win the ini check.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  17. Days to Daze
    Skink

Days to Daze Member

Ok makes sense, I just wasn't sure what happens when you have a reroll left for turn1. Is the initiative roll at the end of turn 1 classed as a turn one roll.

Bowser likes this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

Wasn't there an FAQ or something that said the initiative roll can't be changed by that ability?

Bowser likes this.
  19. Days to Daze
    Skink

Days to Daze Member

I don't know but it does say "any single dice until your next hero phase" so I figured it could be

Bowser likes this.
  20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yes, it's in the Order FAQ

Q: Can I use a Skink Starseer’s Cosmic Herald ability to make my opponent re-roll their dice?

A: Yes.

Bowser and Days to Daze like this.