1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Start collecting

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Korrok, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Korrok
    Jungle Swarm

Korrok New Member

Hi, I really want a serephon army but unsure as to where to start. I had one back in 8th. People always say get the models you think look cool but they can quickly end up on the shelf or on ebay as there not as good as others, which is a waste of money. So the rule of cool is semi out. I'm not a power gamer but I also like to win

So where should I start? I need a 2k list of awesome stuff not keen on skinks but I now I can summon them so don't need them in my original list.

Basically my main question is, is the start collecting box worth it as a start? Maybe for the carnosaur but how many people run the knights and carnosaur in tournaments?

My main list will contain Saurus guard (I think) , a slann, the banner bloke, an eternal warden (if I take the guard) and that's about as far as I get because basically I don't even know if thats gonna be any good. Like I said before I don't wanna waste money to find out stuff just doesn't work.

Any help will be most appreciated :)

Crowsfoot and Captaniser like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Crowsfoot, LizardWizard and Korrok like this.
  3. Korrok
    Jungle Swarm

Korrok New Member

Yeah that's the same thoughts I had about the guard, maybe if they had two wounds but one is not enough.

In big units will you not just suffer the problem of battleshock as 5+ ain't really that good

Wow that's awesome, makes it far more worth while, thanks :)

Are the knights worth it though? And the battalions, would it not be better to have more units

Crowsfoot and LizardWizard like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The Knights are OK since they are needed for one of our meta bataillons

5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome back to the Seraphon!

If you want to play Seraphon, with few skinks, not as a powergamer, but you still like to win; I recommend either a Fangs of Sotek army or the Thunderquake Starhost (Dual Solar Engine Bastty with EotGs & Razordons ed).

If you decide you fancy Fangs of Sotek you will need an Oldblood on Carnosaur and Saurus Warriors. Seeing as any Carnosaur cost as much as the SCBox you might as well buy at least one if you plan to run FoS. If you decided you like Thunderquake then there isn't much from the Start Collecting box that will you need. The great thing about Seraphon at the moment is our flexability with summoning. So no matter what units you purchase they are all useable due to summoning.

@Aginor gave a perfect summation of Saurus Guard and the Eternal Starhost. They are viable, but don't expect to win often.

The safe purchases that will avoid the shelf and Ebay in any 2k Seraphon army are as follows:
    • Slann Starmaster
    • Saurus Astrolith Bearer
    • Skink Starpriest
    • Engine of the Gods (not a requirement, but pretty prevalent in the 2k tournament scene)
    I hope this was helpful.
    Welcome to Lustria Online

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Knights are our best battleline if you want your battleline to actually do something beside standing on objectives but you don't want to go all in on battleline. Skinks and warriors both require a horde-size units as a 10-man squad of either isn't going to amount to anything in a fight, and guards are just too expensive for what they do. Knights however aren't very popular, people prefer using 10-man skink units in this case as they are cheaper and do not care these are essentially useless should they be forced to actually fight.

Crowsfoot and Korrok like this.
  7. WarbossLincoln
    Skink

WarbossLincoln New Member

I've bought 2 start collecting boxes, a starpriest, and 2 boxes of skinks so far. I converted my warriors to Temple Guard since even with all the mortal wounds they're better than 20 warriors. For me the guard have been decent in regular-non competitive games but I don't think I would run them in a tournament.

I'd agree that knights are one of our best battlelines, you just need a decent number of them. 1 Knight is slightly better than 2 warriors for the same cost. You get 3 good attacks and the one crappy bite instead of 2 good attacks and 2 crappy bites that 2 warriors would bring. You get the same wounds and better movement for the same price per wound as warriors.

IMO
    Knights - our basic battleline unit. Groups of 5 or maybe 10 are decent at what they do. They support the monsters and have good movement for our slowish army.

Warriors - Niche application. Big hordes are strong, sunclaw starhost/fangs of sotek. Other than those battalions with big mobs of warriors Knights are better

Skinks - cheap, good board control, objectives, throw out range attacks to help. Good screens, good candidates for teleports to harass units. They can cover a lot of distance in 1 turn to grab an enemy objective. Move 8, charge, fall back 8 around the enemy further into their back line. I run mine with blowguns and clubs since with a 6 save the shield's not going to help much at all. A mob of skinks between blowguns and then melee with clubs can mess up enemy screens and chaff. Also part of the Shadowstrike battalion which on paper is very good(I haven't actually run it yet but I plan on it.

Guard - A good unit in a non-competitive setting. Wrecked by mortals like others have said. Point for Point probably not as good as skinks for doing damage and soaking attacks. Definitely can't soak mortals like skinks.

My first couple experience with knights were bad while I was just getting the hang of the game but I realized I was expecting them to do too much. A unit of 5 is slightly better than 10 warriors, which are slightly better than 10 of most armies basic chaff infantry. When you play them expecting that, and use them to support other units they're pretty good.

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

In game sense, Saurus Knights are mostly useful for denying enemy charges. They can interdict other units who obtain massive gains on the charge by being throw away chaff.

Saurus Knights are not heavy Calvary. You can still get millage out of them as auxiliary units or if you need to fill a tax. I have seen players run Thrunderquake and fill their Battleline tax with Saurus Knights. It was honestly more effective then any Firelance list I have seen.

Crowsfoot and Korrok like this.
  9. Korrok
    Jungle Swarm

Korrok New Member

Wow yeah this is all fantastic help, exactly what I was hoping for :-D thanks :)

I think I will be going for the Thunderquake. I was thinking of two units of saurus to go in front to stop turn one deepstrikes and then possibly 2 units of knights to counter charge. Not sure it would actually work that way but no plan is full proof

I'm I also right in thinking that instead of casting a spell you can add three to summoning, is this once per turn or could I use all the Slanns cast as summoning and get like 9 summoning points straight away?

And what's better razordons or salamanders, range 12 is nice for the salamanders but the moment the handlers are dead 8 is awful but then the razordons 2d6 with no rend isnt fantastic either lol

@LizardWizard would that be the minimum number so 3 units of 5?

10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

You get 10, 3 for each spell not cast and an additional 1 for your general being a Slann. You can get a further D3 per turn from a Saurus Astrolith Bearer. If you really want to pile up the Celestial Conjuration points then can also cast a Balewind Vortex and Cogs to gain 2 more spells to spend on CCP for 16+ D3 a turn after turn one.

I prefer Razordons in Thunderquake. If you have them near an Astrolith you will be able to reroll failed hits and wounds with them. In most cases they will out preform Salamander. Salamanders as single units often out preform single Razordons though. In a group of four, Razordons are normally better. Also, their range is long enough that if you need to you are able to teleport them with LoSaT and still have range to fire without needing the roll of 5/6.

Yes.

I am glad this thread has been helpful. Lustria Online is full of wonderful players, hobbyist, and fans!

Crowsfoot and Koriialstraz like this.
  11. Hij4cker
    Skink

Hij4cker New Member

Hy there,
    I am starting my seraphon army too, and a leaked image shows a seraphon battleforce this december. That shows good value for the money. You might consider that as an option too.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

That's what I did, filled the tax with knights

LizardWizard likes this.
  13. Fer_Silfore
    Skink

Fer_Silfore Member

I highly HIGHLY suggest buying the Start Collecting! Seraphon box and, when December comes around, the holiday box for Seraphon as well as a Slann Starmaster. this will get you a good amount of models and a sizable army with a good chance to win. If you look to upgrade from that, I suggest buying more Saurus Knights until you get 15 total in order to get the Firelance Starhost battlion (3 units of Saurus Knights and 1 Saurus Scar-Veteran (on Cold One OR Carnosaur (highly suggest Carnosaur))) to give yourself a competitive edge. Even another Bastilidon will be a good choice to pick up as well as an Engine of the Gods. now this may be confusing so I will make it more simple here:

Must Get:
    - Start Collecting! Seraphon (check http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...rom-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/ as well)
    - Christmas Bundles, Seraphon Box
    - Slann Starmaster

Upgrades:
    - 1 Bastilidon
    - Saurus Knights (until you get 15 total)
    - 1 Engine of the Gods

Extra Notes:
    - Firelance Starhost (3 units of Saurus Knights (15 total) and 1 Saurus Scar-Veteran (on Cold One or Carnosaur))
    - Dracothians Tail (the Firelance Starhost with a Slann Starmaster + either of these other Starhosts; Sunclaw, Firelance, Eternal, Thunderquake or no other extra Starhost)

Cinnabar likes this.