1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Starter Army 50w, can it work ?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Camazotz, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Camazotz
    Skink

Camazotz Member

Hola Reptiles!

I always liked lizardmen but never enjoyed the fantasy battle game system looking forward to try out this new small scale skirmish one looks more like my 750-1000 point wh40k games i was playing whith my friends at the time.

I already have 2 units for collecting purposes : an engine of the gods and a skink starpriest i did the math and if i add the contents of the "start collecting" box it will go around 50 wounds that from what i've got is the small army meta

summing up this is the list for 54 total wounds

OldBlood on Carnosaur 12
    Starpriest 4
    8 ColdOne Riders 16
    12 Sauri 12
    Engine of the gods 10

What would you cut/add ? i'd really like to add chameleons and ripperdactyls

also where is the next step in points ? 75 ?

thanks for your time! See you around

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would go with the chameleons and rippers. It would give you the Shadowstrike Starhost. That's 23 wounds, perfect to add for tour 75 points. (If you remove a few cold ones)
    A couple more cold ones would be great, another 8 and you can do the firelance starhost. Run 2 units together, charge with one, retreat, charge with the other. Kepp those mortal wounds going. The third unit run up with your carno (Or Convert your 16th coldone into a scar vet...) And use the same sort of tactic.
    A slann or Kroak, most will tell you to take a slann with an aggressive army like Knights.

And then Astrolith Bearer and Skink Starseer. Astrolith for the slann, starseer for a lot of stuff, but re rolls and curse of fates with your engine makes that getting to immediately take a second turn, or exactly the choice you want so much easier.

Camazotz likes this.
  3. Camazotz
    Skink

Camazotz Member

Wow neat! love the charge tactic i need to read the rules more carefully i thought you were stuck in combat like other games!
    but i think i'll go for the Shadowstrike for now keeping the knights withe the T-rex

Also i don't get how the engine works on 14-17 it can summon ANY unit ? like a hundred skinks, or another stegadon? that unit is out of the points/wound cap ? that would be crazy op if you have a lot of models.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Any unit. I would probably discuss with the opponent unit size before you're labeled as "that guy" but yeah, Carnosaur, Lord Kroak, Slann, New Engine of the gods. As long as they have the Seraphon Keyword.

5. Camazotz
    Skink

Camazotz Member

Holy guacamole! that is insane! too bad until i get a full army going it will only summon a mighty cardboard piece

Huanchi, Otzi'mandias and Bowser like this.
  6. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

The most dangerous tactic against the mighty cardboard - water scenery. Laminate it for a 2+ armour save against everything.

Bowser likes this.
  7. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

Maybe this is not adding much to the thread, but making army's based on wounds is slightly undermined by the coming of points systems in around a month or so.

But anyhow, the list...
    I feel that slann are imperative, and the army revolves around them. The support they give with the constellations is brilliant. Next ripperdactyls are a safe option with the melee potential offered by them. An oldblood on carno is probably to many wounds to be put into this force, and a scar veteran on cold one would do a much better job of supporting the saurus cavalry in this list. Next you will be wanting of some ranged firepower to round of the list so a bastilidon with solar engine will fit nicely. with artillery range for age of sigmar, this monster is great at harassing key enemy units with lots of multi wound dealing attacks with 20 inch range.
    Slann - 7
    scar veteran on cold one - 7
    4x rippers - 12
    8x cold one cavalry - 16
    bastilidon - 8
    total: 50 wounds

Increasing this list to 75 wounds would allow the addition of 7 more saurus cavalry, a skink priest and two more rippers. These would strengthen your existing units, but I would normally split the rippers into two squads of three, and the saurus cavalry into one of seven and one of eight. The skink priest increments the armys magical power and with his long move he can get into good positions to unbind...

Huanchi and Bowser like this.
  8. Camazotz
    Skink

Camazotz Member

Sure looks like a good build but it's not so starter friendly to get 4 rippers i need 2 boxes and they're not cheap for now the start collecting is a must have to me for the awesome value and good looking models and i wanna play the only 2 units i have atm
    also don't you need 3 units of knights to get the starhost boon ? wouldn't be better anyways having 3 units of 5 ?
    slann and basty are awesome models too so i'll consider getting them soon but for now i want some added synergy to what i've already got
    anyways thanks for the tips i'll give it a shot with proxies if i get the occasion ;)

dwarfepic and Bowser like this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Some systems specify that, unless explicitly stated, summons call the minimum number required for the unit.
    Anyway, given that Seraphon can summon 2 different size of a unit, depending on how high you roll the dices for the spell, I'd say that also for the EotG, you cannot exceed that "max number".

Camazotz and Bowser like this.
  10. Huanchi
    Cold One

Huanchi Active Member

I want to suggest this.

Slann (General) 7w

Starpriest 4 w

8 Saurus Knights 16w

5 Chameleons 5w

5 Chameleons 5w

3 Rippers 9w

10 Saurus (spears) 10w

Bastiladon (Solar engine) 8w

Engine of the gods 10w

11. Camazotz
    Skink

Camazotz Member

Looks exactly like my kind of army! since i never played to be competitive but just for fun i care more about the units i like, obviously balancing that a little bit, no one likes to be eradicated.

Bastilladon for now is in every army looks superstrong but i guess everything will change once a proper point system is introduced (i still can't digest how a superfantastimagiarmoured golden dude has the same army occupancy as a naked skink)

So everyone's telling me good old scar vet/ old blood on carnosaur is bad?
    But he's sooooo coooooool (read with cartman's voice)

Bowser and Huanchi like this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

No one should tell such a blasphemy.
    Carnosaur is a GREAT Monsters hunter, and its blood roar is a killer against hordes (and you can do nasty combos with it ).
    Oldblood and scarvet got different command abilities, they are both excellent and works in different ways, so you can choose them to fit the kind of army you're playing.

You cannot go wrong with our most typical front line generals. .. ;)

13. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would guess your opponents are saying this, because they are very bad, if you have to face them!

14. Huanchi
    Cold One

Huanchi Active Member

The Scar Vet and the Oldblood are two Monster killers. The vatter way to play them in my opinion is to keep ut (or both if you run the two together) on the side if your army. They are very fast,with a good save for a monster (if you pick the scar vet it ignores -1 rend. Give him one or two arcane shield and he will be a badass model for any army) and it has a lot of attacks. Often i found my self alive in a match only due to this guy.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

I had a Carnosaur, and built it as an Oldblood solely for the extra ranged attack. My logic went along the lines of A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.
    Also, it kills stuff.
    But be warned - the moment it is set up, it is a magnet for artillery and magic. It is not a good general because of this, and it can be extremely disheartening to see your prize model taken straight off the field in turn 2.

I lost my Oldblood in a recent battle in turn 2 - the spell Winds Of Chaos pretty much killed it in a shot. Then my EoTG summoned it back. Then I killed a lone Marauder with it to kill it, and ran and charged it straight at a Slaughterbrute. It died again (I can't seem to ever roll well in saves when I need it) and then I rolled another 16 on my EoTG and summoned it back. By this time my opponent and I were laughing at it, and then I hid it behind my general, a Skink Priest. My opponent was not happy, and I managed to convince him that we should roll off to see if the Skink could shield it. I rolled a six, and laughed right up to the point when my general got blasted anyway.
    My point? Carnosaurs bring the laughs. Take one. If anything, they make for great distraction units. People tend to freak when they see a huge purple T-rex running at their units, and move everything out of position to block it. Then it dies, and suddenly your Rippers have a clear flight straight to their wizard.

Bowser likes this.
  16. Huanchi
    Cold One

Huanchi Active Member

If you play it well the Carno is a death Machine. Seriously!

Bowser likes this.
  17. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Ah, thats probably what I'm doing. Playing it wrong. :D

Huanchi and Freddy25 like this.
  18. Killer Angel
    Slann

That sounded really fun... but keep in mind that, once killed, the general is gone. You can summon it again, but at that point the summoned Oldblood is no more the general . ;)

Bowser and Otzi'mandias like this.
  19. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

My immediate response was to answer - oh well, half the time I forget to use the command ability anyway. So I need to sit down and think deeply about what I need to improve about my gaming and tactics.

20. Huanchi
    Cold One

Huanchi Active Member

Try to use the slann as General. If you do this every turn your purple t-rex can fly!!

Bowser and Otzi'mandias like this.