1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steg and eggs (pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by FireLordZero, Jul 20, 2009.

1. FireLordZero
    Skink

FireLordZero New Member

ok I lied there are no eggs but there is a stegadon and that's pretty sweet! got my stegadon kit a while back and just started painting him I think the results are decent. note: I'm not finished still have to paint the engine of the gods, skink crew, and howdah bow.

100_0734.jpg
    It's kind of hard to tell but I used a very dark red for his skin

100_0732.jpg
    that's the palequin.

100_0745.jpg
    and here is them together

please leave feed back If my work sucks I want to be the first to know.

2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Nice. Very colorful. Some areas seem a little bit monotone though, like the scales on the back of the Stegadon. You may want to put a wash on, to bring out the definition.

3. FireLordZero
    Skink

FireLordZero New Member

yeah i still need to touch up some of the areas as my brush work is very sloppy. I'm going to wash the scales with a darker red and the skin with a lighter red. i'll show pictures when i'm done

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I think the main thing you need to work on now is neatness and painting within the lines. It is not an easy task to start with since the details on models can be very fine, and you need a really good brush. Lots of practice improves it, and if you make mistakes then don't worry just fix them up later. I know its a WiP so maybe my advice isn't very helpful, the cloth on the howdah looks like you've missed bits and some of the floor areas are spilling out. It takes a lot of time but it is worth going back and fixing little things like that, it really improves the quality of your models and your painting skills.

Also, I agree about adding some wash or ink to the stegadon. You will be pleasantly surprised at the results you can achieve with very little work. :p Get some brown wash onto the horns to darken them a bit and bring out their detail, and maybe black on the scales to add definition and shadow to them.

Its a pretty good start though, don't take my comments too harshly I am trying to give the advice that I would have liked to hear back when I was first starting, not sure how successful I am being though. :p

5. FireLordZero
    Skink

FireLordZero New Member

oooo the thing on his back is called a howdah i thought that's what the weapons were called? anyways thank you for the advice

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah the howdah is the platform that they stand on. GW called the weapons howdah weapons, I guess because they are weapons that sit on the howdah. :p

I see you have mentioned both the engine and the howdah weapons, do you have 2 stegs or plan an interchangeable conversion? The reason I ask is because the engine doesn't actually have howdah weapons in the rules, just making sure you are aware of that, which you probably are.

7. FireLordZero
    Skink

FireLordZero New Member

I was under the misconception that I could field him with an engine and a giant bow as long as it fits and i have skinks to operate it

8. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

No, you can only have one option on each Stegadon: Engine, Bow, or Blowpipes.

9. FireLordZero
    Skink

FireLordZero New Member

o well that sucks hmm i guess i'll have to make the parts interchangeable then