1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Stone Throne for Carnosaur

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Sekrit_Stryker, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Sekrit_Stryker
    Saurus

Sekrit_Stryker Well-Known Member

Hey all,

So Ive been on and off the forum for a while but finally created an account as I felt like it was about time! I recently picked up the Seraphon Start Collecting box and I have just started painting the canosaur. What Im looking for at the moment is 2 bits of help.

My paint experience is middling I would say. I used to collect when I was younger and recently I painting the Zombicide Black Plague models so Im not too rusty.

1.Throne/saddle for the Scar vet
    • Whats the best way to get a stone effect? What colours should I be using (Citadel or vallejo is ideal as I can pick them up easily) Im planning on doing the main body of the saddle in a grey kind of stone effect and then the trimmings and highlights in gold.
    2. The horns on the back of the Throne/saddle
    • Ive been watching a couple of videos about painting horn and bone. I wanted to have it so it would be black at the base of the horn and blending into a white. Could I do something like painting the whole bone in ushabti or rakath and then use nuln oil to blend from the base to the tip?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

1. What I do for stone:
    - base tone a middle grey
    - wash black
    - drybrush with a light grey

2. I normally just paint them in bone color and use a sepia shade. A second (or even a third) coat of shade can be used for making it darker toward the base of the horn. And carefully drybrushing with white can highlight the tips.
    But you could also make the horns sand colored with tips dark, some animals have that, too.

Lizerd, LizardWizard and Sir Rathalos like this.
  3. Sir Rathalos
    Saurus

Sir Rathalos Well-Known Member

Zandri dust followed by Seraphim sepia creates a nice dull base for the bone, prehaps mix some rhinox hide into the zandri and glaze towards the base to get that darker look. You can then either try create an almost fibrous texture on the horn or just blend the colours upwards. I would go from zandri, to ushabti to screaming skull, you could even mix some white right at the end to just add extra pop to the tip.

As for the stone I'm a little unsure, I dont usually paint stone. I would base in mechanicus, then give a wash of nuln oil. Follow this by glazing dawnstone and administratum grey. Or you could do some dry drybrushing.

Thanks

Lizerd and Sekrit_Stryker like this.
  4. Sekrit_Stryker
    Saurus

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I am still a while a way from getting to this stage. I am working on the carnasaur atm and I only have one side of him painted! Ill post some pics when I get to the stone/bone

Sir Rathalos likes this.
  5. Sekrit_Stryker
    Saurus

6. Sekrit_Stryker
    Saurus

This is how he turned out, really chuffed with the results

Sir Rathalos likes this.
  7. Sir Rathalos
    Saurus

Awesome work, he turned out great

8. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Very good carnosaur! The detail on the throne was well executed so you should feel pleased. Stone is interesting and the color scheme you used seems to work pretty well :)

9. Sekrit_Stryker
    Saurus

Thanks so much :) cant wait to base it and actually get to play a game. The start collecting box is just such good value, tempted to get a second one!

Lizerd and Sir Rathalos like this.
  10. Sir Rathalos
    Saurus

Would you do another carno, or do a Troglodon? If you do the trog, you get the really cool saurus on foot.

11. Sekrit_Stryker
    Saurus

Itll be the troglodon for sure. I've made an old blood on foot and on a cold one with some extra pieces. But I much prefer the proper sculpt, they look so good.

Lizerd and Sir Rathalos like this.
  12. Sekrit_Stryker
    Saurus

If I want to set up a painting log, do I just create a thread myself or do admins need to do it?

13. Sir Rathalos
    Saurus

Think you can just set one up, admins can usually edit it if anything is out of place.

14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah just create a thread in the appropriate section, that's it. :)