1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Stormfiend question

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Skinnyboy, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Skinnyboy
    Saurus

Skinnyboy Member

So stormfiends that have the tunneling option must pop up greater that 9" from a model and that counts as the movement for the turn. If their warpfire projectors only have a 8" range how are they poping up and nuking stuff? what am i missing? I know they are often taken with sayl for a 26" threat range but in pure skryre how are they just melting units? Do they need the double turn or is there a battalion that I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Skinnyboy

Ritual likes this.
  2. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

Mark Sinosich Active Member

How do the Stormfiends have the Grinderfist Tunneling Option and the Warpfire Projectors? I thought they could only have 1 set of weapons.

Ritual likes this.
  3. Skinnyboy
    Saurus

Skinnyboy Member

They way I've always read it and seen it played is that they can have mixed weapons, so in a unit of 6 i typically see one grinderfist and 5 warpfire projectors

Ritual likes this.
  4. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

Ohh Yes. Sorry I thought we were talking about mixed on a single Stormfiend. A unit can have mixed weapons.

Ritual likes this.
  5. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

For the same reason with Stormcast Eternals I guess. They unit must pop 9" away from enemy.. the unit, not the WHOLE unit which means that by making congo line he can even end up 3" away ready for charge * exactly what happens with Stormcast strike host :p

Ritual likes this.
  6. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

"On the roll of a 3 or more, set up the Stormfiends anywhere on the battlefield more than 9" from any enemy models."

Doesn't plural "Stormfiends" imply that all of "the Stormfeinds" must be more than 9" from any enemy models? I am not sure if Stormcast has similar wording?

Ecozh and Ritual like this.
  7. Layken
    Skink

Layken New Member

Its the formation they have in the chaos book that lets them set up as close to the enemies models as they want.

Ritual and m0gstar like this.
  8. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

"Gautfyre Scorch: A Warlock Engineer, 1-3 Stormfiends, 1-5 Warpfire Throwers and 1-5 Warp-Grinders. The Warp-Grinders bring the entire Enginecoven underground as for its usual ability, except you don't have to roll to make them emerge on the battlefield and the emerging units can be placed within 3" from enemy units, albeit they will suffer d6 mortal wounds in the process."

Ecozh, Ritual and m0gstar like this.
  9. Skinnyboy
    Saurus

Skinnyboy Member

Wow... yup thats the one I guess I'll need to practice with bubble wrapping

Ritual likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

ISn't that also how summoning is phrased? wouldn't that solve a lot of weird issues with them failing their charge as well?

Ritual likes this.
  11. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Man I'd love it if the stormfiend players in my meta used those weapons. I don't get that lucky. Mine are all using max numbers rattling cannons. Good range, Stupid high volume of attacks. My stuff melts.

In my opinion it's THE way to kit stormfiends out.

Ritual likes this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

You'd rather have mortal wounds popping up on top of you? At least those you can save...

Ritual likes this.
  13. Skinnyboy
    Saurus

Skinnyboy Member

Oh yeah, I'm way more afraid of warpfire projectors, an automatic 2D3 mortal wounds per guy is insane! Bring on the ratling guns any day.

Ritual and Mark Sinosich like this.
  14. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

My army is 4 carnos and 30 knights. I can avoid the short range of warp lightning cannons. I can charge them and kill them before they do anything to me. Mass shots from greater than Charge range is way scarier to me.

Ritual likes this.
  15. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

@Jason839 That would be really good to write down as a strategy as many people have trouble with them. How do you position your guys? How to ward against the double turn or prepare for the double turn?

Seraphage and Ritual like this.
  16. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I recently started playing with skaven and therefore I can tell you that there is a way to nuke everything after popping out from anywhere in the board on turn one. It is a nasty war scroll battalion that I personally don't use much (it just seems to good, almost unfair for the opponent).

The battalion is called Clan Skyre 200pts battalion (Goutfire Scorch enginecoven) for this you have to include an arch warlock, stormfiends, warpgrinder weapon team, warpfire throwers and a warlock. it allows you to apear anywhere in the battlefield (if you apear within 3" of an enemy you suffer d6 mortal wounds) and counts as you movement phase, it also allows you to reroll a dice for one of the units in your coven.

Its a pretty competitive list, I believe they also used it (and lost) in warhammer TV agains an all strike stormiest army

Apart from that, if you are giving at least one of your stormfiends grinder fists they won't be able to shoot on the turn they apear, and they will still have to roll a 3+ to apear.

hope this helps