1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Struggling with Sunclaw

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Flo, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I am currently struggling with the thought of a new sunclaw list and can't decide which one i want to play

Version 1 - Fully Buffed 2 Big Blobs

Scar-Vet on Carnosaur (General)
    Sunblood
    Astrolith Bearer
    Skink Starpriest

40 Warriors with Spear
    40 Warriors with Spear
    10 Warriors with Clubs

4 Razordons

Bastiladon with Laser

Sums up to 1990 Points

Version 2 - Fully Buffed 1 Big Blob + Slann

Slann Starmaster
    Sunblood
    Astrolith Bearer
    Skink Starpriest

40 Warriors with Spear
    10 Warriors with Clubs
    10 Warriors with Clubs

4 Razordons

Bastiladon with Laser

Again 1990 Points

Version 1 is pretty straight forward, i got 2 Big Blobs which i can Buff with Scar-Vet, Astrolith and the Serpent Staff, could switch 2 Razordons for a second Skink Starpriest to get the Serpent Staff on Both Units

Version 2 is only one Blob which can get fully buffed, but with the additional magic support from a Slann
    Still not sure who would be the better general here, Scar-Vet for extra attacks or Slann for additional shooting protection and also Vast Intellect

If i use the Slann as a General with Vast Intellect i lose the extra attacks from the scar-vet, making him almost useless :(

Also if i upgrade it to 2500 Points a possible List would be this:

Slann Starmaster
    Sunblood
    Astrolith Bearer
    Skink Starpriest

40 Warriors with Spear
    40 Warriors with Spears
    10 Warriors with Clubs

3 Razordons

2 Bastiladon with Lasers

Basically List Version 2 with a second Blob and Bastiladon, minus 1 Razordon

Again who should be the General?

Which of the 2 Versions of 2k do you think would fit best, if the List with Slann, who should be the general?

How is your overall thinking about the 2500 Points?

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hard to tell...
    I'll have to think about it.

Flo likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Ok here's my take on your lists:

The first one is the most straightforward. Two blobs of 40 Warriors means that the enemy cannot just focus down that one blob that is dangerous in the second list. On the other hand those 80 Saurus are a bit unwieldy. So depending on terrain you might have problems reaching the enemy to deliver your wounds.
    Without a Slann the problem in a tournament might be that magic-heavy armies (like Tzeentch) might have it easier against you.
    A double teleport would also come in handy, but you are right that the Scar-Veteran as the General adds a bit more boom to one Saurus unit.

The shooting protection of the Slann isn't really strong IMO. So if you don't need him for his spells/unbinds/vast intellect/double port he doesn't have to be the general and you might as well supercharge your ScarVet. Relic Blade and Thickly Scaled Hide are quite cool for him.

For 2500 I cannot give a lot of advice, but I would tend to say that a list of that size should probably have the Slann as General.

Flo likes this.
  4. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

Okay thanks for the advice i will just try both of them and see what fits my needs best (maybe with a nice BattleReport as i play against Orruks tomorrow)

What are your thoughts, regarding the first list, would it be worth to switch 2 Razordons for a second Starpriest for a bit more magic and the second serpent staff?

5. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Definitely not the 2nd one in my opinion. I have months of experience in Sunclaw and it can work BUT : having only 1 blob of 40 makes it waaaaay too easy to be dodged, be ran around or destroyed without touching any important target and then your army is just too fragile.

2nd is a good one. While the idea of the ranged support is great AND needed since you need to have a way to not hit their meatshields instead of their important targets, you definitely need the Slann. Mystic shield spam, some mortal if needed, the battleshock test * since u wont have inspiring in both of the 40 * and most of all : the global dispelling for the magic heavy army which are many. It hurts me to say, but you need to leave our beloved bastiladon outside since razordons will be way too useful all around with the melee army !

6. Tizianolol
    Temple Guard

Tizianolol Active Member

Second list is similar to mine with sunclaw! 2x40 saurus are important but u need slann to buff too ! Slann in competitive is very important! Too mutch heavy magic list ( tz in general for sure, now death ! Nagash list are pretty common at moment !!;)

7. Buldi
    Saurus

Buldi Active Member

With two hordes comes the difficulty that only one will recieve the inspiring presence. Saurus are to squishy to pley well without it.