1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Swedish Comp 2500

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by furiouscado, Feb 6, 2015.

1. furiouscado
    Skink

furiouscado New Member

I am a 7th edition veteran struggling in an 8th edition world... mostly because I'm not playing nearly as much. I wanted to enlist the brilliant minds of lustria-online to help me with my list if it needs any changes. For those familiar with Swedish comp, I need to keep my list between 8-14. For those who are unfamiliar, it's just a balancing formula that makes the game not stupid, highly recommended! http://buckeyebattles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Swedish-Comp-System-v1.13.0-beta.pdf for those who are interested.

So I'm curious about the Troglodon, but it's 200 points I could easily swap out. It's very comp friendly, and I think the primeval roar combined with a jungle swarm is a recipe for under-appreciated-enemy-hurty-time. For the saurus, who will have 29 str 4 attacks, base, will get (on average) 10 extra attacks with 5's and 6's vs 5. That's 40 attacks, which is roughly 6-7 auto wounds with poison from the swarms (not to mention their own poison attacks). I also plan on running heavens on both wizards to rain comets down on the battlefield, but I can get the buff to re-roll my 1's in combat, which is effectively 6-7 extra attacks on top of that.

Meanwhile, the rippers and stegadon (and even the troglodon) take care of flanking units. The scar vet is also a great fast cav / flyer killer and gets Str 5 impact hits, which is yummy.

TOTAL 2498 Comp 10.4
    LORDS 14.00%
    Slann 350
    - BSB
    - Dispell Scroll
    - Soul of Stone

HEROES 13.24%
    Tetto'eko 185

Scar Veteran 146
    - Spear, Shield, Cold One
    - Sacred Stegadon Helm
    CORE 25.80%
    Saurus Warriors 35 385
    - Full Command, Spears

Skink Cohort 16 190
    - 2 Kroxigors
    - Muso, Javelins

Skink Skirmishers 10 70
    - Javalins
    SPECIAL 28.68%

Temple Guard 16 257
    - Full Command
    Ripperdactyl Riders 3 120
    Ripperdactyl Riders 3 120
    Bastiladon 150
    - Solar Engine

Jungle Swarm 2 70
    RARE 18.20%
    Troglodon 200

Ancient Stegadon 255
    - Sharpened Horns

2. furiouscado
    Skink

furiouscado New Member

Comp aside, does anyone see any glaring holes? Fatal meta-based misplays?

3. Elholm
    Skink

Elholm Member

Hi

Your list looks cool...

I think you have found a good theme. I would not change a lot and i have been toying with the same idea... although it was with a horde templeguard and no trog...

that aside i think you would be better off with "the usual" scarvet. (on CO, AoD and gw) he is just everything exept striking first! :D

it have saved me a couple of times (havent played that many games yet) becalming cogitation will further increase your dispel chance and it can lock your opponents magic phase if he made poor winds roll... just a thought

also think about taking 2 units of skink skirm. instead of cohort leaving more points for saurus and/or temple guard.

4. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

What are the benefits of having a 14 over an 8 in the tourny you are playing in?
    What lore are you looking at taking with your slann?
    50% lords/heroes?
    khaine or normal magic?

Strongest list under swedish we can field is a life slann with TG 3, ob/cowboys and then it's pretty much to flavour.

5. GloriousDemise
    Jungle Swarm

GloriousDemise New Member

I'm confused, how are you scoring such a high comp score (10) for an entire core of skinks, Tetto who's comp -40 (i.e. -4 to comp score alone for a less then 200pt model), cowboys and etc? Even with taking minimal hits to support 2 units of 7 cham skinks and 3 units of skink skirms with javes in Swede comp I sit at 15 (thats with x2 Carnies to point sink for Comp). Are you sure you're using 15.2/3?

Would be great if you could total it out? Prehaps I'm missing something.

6. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Can you swap one of the slann's heavens spells for tetto's comet spell? Thus having the same spell twice? I question whether you will have enough PD on average to cast 2 comets. If you did, then your lazerdon would be of no real consequence. I have not seen anyone work out the stats with tetto, might be more significant that I think.

7. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

Because a loremaster doesn't generate spells he doesn't effect your ability to get multiples of any spell. You can easily have 2 comets with a tetto slann/heavens combo.
    Tetto uses 3 dice to reliably cast comet and a slann needs 2 1/2. So six dice at the most for 2 comets.

8. furiouscado
    Skink

furiouscado New Member

So I played a 3-way test game with this list and it 'worked' in that I won, but it had some deficiencies. Let me address the comments!

Elholm - I could try that Scar Vet build. The T6 with str 5 impact hits is also very effective from what I've found, and I gave him a charmed shield to dodge canon balls. Tomato tomahto. I'm also considering going 'all-in' on the magic and taking the becalming cogitation, as I can still fit it in the comp.

Madrck - Unless I'm mistaken, the tournament will give you an extra 100 VP for each point you have over your opponent. So if I bring a 10.4 and they have a 9, I'd get 140 VP. I played with Heavens to just play 'drop the comets' every turn for either chunk everyone down and/or make them scatter their movement. Lore of Death/Shadow/Life make me take big hits to comp, but I could arguably get one in. Though they have a 4 dice casting limit for Death/Shadow. It's 25% lords 25% heroes, thankfully. If you can link me to a Swedish list you're referring to, I'd love to see it!

GloriousDemise - We used 1.13 beta for our match (as it was the comp sent to me to use). I'll have to double-check to make sure I'm within the boundaries of whichever swedish comp we use.. if it's 1.15, I may have to restructure. that being said, I still had quite a bit of wiggle room.

Madrck - I was chucking BIG comets each turn when I had enough dice :bored: Once I saw I wasn't up against anything that would get to my slann/tetto, I just had them sit by themselves and tempted the miscast gods. It went well...

A couple key notes I learned, however, is that I don't get predatory fighter in the second/third ranks of saurus (though I do get poison). I'll try another match, but I appreciate feedback!

9. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

OB sword of might, enchanted shield, dawnstone, OTS
    Slann Channel combo Banner of Swiftness, BSB lore of life

Captain Awesome (scarvet co gw armour of destiny)
    Scar vet dragonhelm GW CO pot of foolhariness
    Lvl2 priest to flavour

27 saurus stnd muso
    11 skirmishers
    10 skirmishers
    22 cohort FC
    27 TG FC banner of flame
    Solardon
    Ancient Steg w/ horns

It's about a 10.4 (to lazy to add it up) and there is literally nothing you lose to unless you face check a witch elf horde before you have dwellers'd it twice. I've got to much work todo atm but I'll post the tetto list in a day or two. I'll have to rebuild it from scratch as army builder has updated to much to recover it.

10. mcasefire
    Cold One

mcasefire Member

So I have a 2400 point sweedish comp tournament. I would really like to know how you do in this journey.

11. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Sorry for the resurrection, but I am referring to the Slann ability to "swap spells" once per magic phase, thus having two instances of comet on the Slann, is that something that can be done? Also as far as the casting probability, I am referring to the rerolls of 1's (or rerolls of 6's for bad times) which shifts the odds slightly.

12. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Nope, you can never ever have multiples of any spell on any wizard. You can only cast a spell once each magic phase with each wizard. Slann can swap spells with High Magic at the end of the magic phase, but it is done in the way of generating spells as you would in the beginning of the game, so if you roll double comet you get to choose the double spell, but you don't get 2 comets. Comet of Cassadora is a weird kind of spell, it is sortoff a remains in play spell(without counting as one) in the sense that it's effect randomly end in some following turn, the effect being bigger each turn it is randomly delayed. So, you could have 2 meteors splasing down from 2 previous magic phases on the same turn, but that would be a rare occurence.

I hope you catch my drift here, bottom line is no duplicate spells on the same wizard.

13. Kocki
    Skink

Kocki New Member

Hi,

we will also play in the next future a game under swedish comp rules.

Do I understand right that this core:

Core (625pts)

Skink Cohort
    17x Skink

Skink Cohort
    18x Skink

Skink Cohort
    Champion, Musician, 18x Skink, Standard Bearer

Skink Cohort
    Champion, Musician, 18x Skink, Standard Bearer

15x Skink Skirmisher
    15x Lustrian Javelins with Shield