1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Swedish Comp

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by pendrake, Jun 11, 2015.

?

Do you use Swedish Comp?

Poll closed Jun 26, 2015.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but I detest it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, not yet.

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. No, never have/never will because I loathe it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Can someone explain what it is or how it works?

It was not a thing the last time I was paying any attention to Warhammer. So if you have used it or understand it please explain more...

I gather it is a third means of balancing armies. [ ? ] Perhaps a handicapping system?

The two I understand are:
    • building both sides to the same fixed point limit.
    • allowing one side extra points to spend if it is considered a 'weaker' army. (if the nominal limit is 2400 points, some armies will get 200.., 300.., 500 bonus points to use.)

2. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

I haven't used the comp pack other than my own interests of list building. But essentially yes it is a way to balance armies.
    I believe the most used way of working with it is to nominate a comp point limit or a fixed comp points. (i.e. 10-15, 15)
    The score is then calculated from the choices you have made during the army building process. When you take the more powerful choices the lower the score you get. You are not banned from using anything but in a way you need to balance out your choices. Usually the army with the bigger comp score gets some bonuses for example bonus points at the end of the match. Also in tournaments you can use the comp score while pairing people.

BR
    Agrem

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

So it is a system where every army gets thirty [?] points; but then deductions are made according to an army specific checklist?

FREX:
    first stegadon 0 points;
    two or three stegadons -1 point;
    four stegs -2 points;
    five stegs -4 points...​

4. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Yeah, and how lower the result the more cheese is your list.

It simply punishes those things that are considered very good or overpowered, especially if you take big or multiple units of those. For example (random numbers) taking one cowboy will result in a -10 the second one will be -15 and the third one could be -30 (for a total of -55) . Also skink skirmishers are not punished much, however if you take more than 4 the penatly goes up again.

btw you start with 300 and you start substracting...and the end result you have to divide by 10.

5. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

Oooh, I've been wondering the same things.

Related question: Where the heck does one get a list of the point values for things in Swedish amd/or ETC, or whatever comp system? Is this a thing you get from a tourney organizer, or is there a website that I've missed somewhere?

6. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

8. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

Marvelous. Thanks guys :)