1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temple/Walls Scenery

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by MunkenDronkey, Aug 31, 2016.

1. MunkenDronkey
    Skink

MunkenDronkey Member

Hi all,

I hope this is the right part of the forum for this (Admins, please feel free to move it/delete it if this post is lost in the jungle).

I've been working on a set of temple/castle scenery with my son over the past few months and we're finally getting some paint on everything. We're working on converting the old "Siege" rules for AoS and he liked the idea of the gate, walls, and towers, so that's what we're working towards. We have a second wall section and two towers in-progress and my boy would like to do a spawning pool and at least one more small temple as well.

Take a look at what we've accomplished so far and feel free to provide suggestions/feedback/criticism as you see fit.

-Steve

Attached Files:

SlanntaClause, Jorgik, n810 and 6 others like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Those all look fantastic. You and your son have done a great job. What material is the grey temple made from?

Warden and MunkenDronkey like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Oh wow those are sweet. Brilliant job here, and when you hammer out your siege rules I want a copy!

4. MunkenDronkey
    Skink

MunkenDronkey Member

Thanks Nightbringer!

The temple is made from the same 1" pink insulation foam as the walls and gateway, but has been the recipient of its' first coat of paint. I'm thinking that I may add some sand to the latex paint to give everything a little more texture. It's looking pretty flat...

I do wish that I had used the same stone design from the walls (irregular blocks) on the temple, but by the time I had started on lining the blocks on the walls, the temple had already been cut into with the heavier stone-lines. Ah well, live and learn.

5. MunkenDronkey
    Skink

MunkenDronkey Member

You'll be among the first to get them, Bowser!

Jorgik, Warden and Bowser like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Great job so far, I know what you mean about the surface looking flat on the Temple I would apply pva glue on each step section, where it meets the next step to represent sand built up over time, add a few grass tufts here and there, on the walls and gate apply the sand into the paint like you suggested.

Lovely job and it makes me want to host another Terrain competition.

Jorgik, NIGHTBRINGER, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Temple looks fantastic! Really like how you made it able to come apart like that, I am guessing that's for easier storage?

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

How did you cut the pink insulation foam so cleanly? I always make such of mess of it when I attempt to use it for anything. I find that it tends to chip and I never end up with a precise/smooth finish.

I think it turned out very well. Maybe add in a few chips and cracks followed by @Crowsfoot 's suggestion and it will be perfect!!!
    :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:
    :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:
    Could it be true? You're not just playing with our heartstrings are you?

Warden, Bowser, Jorgik and 1 other person like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Nope, I just need to get some prizes and a theme sorted.

Warden, Bowser, Jorgik and 2 others like this.
  10. MunkenDronkey
    Skink

MunkenDronkey Member

The choice to have the temple come apart came about due to an idea that a friend of mine came up with AGES ago, when I first started collecting the Lizardmen (I'm going to say somewhere around 1999?). He thought it would be interesting to have the scenery piece double as a storage/carry container for my army. I think he thought that I'd build something a little taller with more compartments, but I think that I'm going to lay a sheet of flexible magnet inside once I get it on a base and use it to store the models that I've based on washers.

Warden, Jorgik and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

THAT IS EXCITING!!!! :spiderman::spiderman::spiderman:

Jorgik and MunkenDronkey like this.
  12. MunkenDronkey
    Skink

MunkenDronkey Member

Thanks Nightbringer!

I use a blade system from a company called "OLFA" to do most of my large cutting. The snap-off blades let me keep a VERY sharp edge (I snap a new section after every 15-20 cuts), and I use a long metal ruler to keep things squared up. I also do multiple passes along the same cut-line, rather than trying to do it all in one go.

Warden, Bowser, Jorgik and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Awesome work! Love the pyramid the wall and the gate!! I actually thought the pyramid had a room inside it, but your version´s even more awesome!
    Also I´d recommend the same thing as @Crowsfoot , add some foliage around and glue sand to break up that strong grey. And maybe even some dirt stains with brown and green washes.
    Sweet job so far! Get your son and yourself to make more of these, they look great! :woot:

Warden, Bowser and MunkenDronkey like this.
  14. MunkenDronkey
    Skink

MunkenDronkey Member

Thanks Jorgik! We have plenty more planned. And thanks for all of the suggestions.

Warden, Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: Looking forward to this! Not going to be able to participate in a terrain contest until at least about 7 months from now though... :grumpy: but I would love to see what everyone could produce. We have so many denizens of Lustria producing fantastic terrain!!! :joyful: So many ideas!