1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age The Army Book Committee would like your opinion on new units (poll)

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Oct 5, 2015.

?

What new units would you like to see?

1. Kroxigor Hero

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Skink Lord Level Wizard

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Relic Priest (Rare)

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Skink Cavalry (Core)

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Hi guys

Could you please vote in the poll. You are allowed to vote twice. You're allowed to suggest something new just give reason to why you think the new suggestion would fit and what purpose it would serve that no other of our units couldn't serve.

Just to elaborate on the units:

Kroxigor Hero: at 4W and a native scaly skin of 4+ the idea is to have a very tough BSB. This will hopefuly motivate people to not consider the Slann an auto-BSB and create for an interesting solution.

Skink Lord lvl Wizard: Is there as an alternative to the Slann with limited options.

Relic Priest: is supposed to be a 40mm or 50mm model that works as a unit buffer (can be placed in second rank) and have a couple of special rules granted to the unit. It would also aid to dispel znd maybe have an upgrade to cause something like fear. Current price proposal would be 150pts and the model could be represented by current Tett'eko model.

Skink Cavalry is an old "favorit" returning and would allow for cheap busses for characters and to act as light cavalry.

Attached Files:

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

My order is...
    1. Kroxigor Hero - YES PLEASE!!!
    2. Core Skink Cavalry - more core options could really help us create a wide variety of army types
    3. Relic Priest - sounds neat
    4. Skink Lord Level Wizard - I'm completely against this, it feels too much like invading on the Slann's turf.

The only unique suggestion or army deficiency I could think of would be some sort of monstrous cavalry (which would have to be cleverly balanced out so as not to invalidate Cold One cavalry). It would fit our army fluff so well, provide excellent modelling opportunities and fill in a missing gap in our army game-wise.

@Pinktaco : great job at gathering info, disseminating info and creating excitement for 9th Age!! :)

3. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Skink Cavalry

However I would not make them core but special instead. I think this kind of unit was discussed on some other thread and my opinion then and now is that even though we have small number of core units I don't think the cavalry should go there. They will directly compete with the spot on the army with terradons in my opinion. Therefore making the cavalry core there would be no need to take the terradons anymore. Yes, this is variety but then again I think the internal balance would suffer.

BR
    Agrem

4. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

i voted for relic priests (yes please) and kroxi hero. I don't think we need a lord level caster skink IF slanns become better OR cheaper. Otherwise we'll need a skink, with a GOOD LORE SELECTION. I don't think we need skink cavalry aswell: we already have two flying skink based cavalryies. Just make one of them core :D

Trociu likes this.
  5. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I like the skink cav and the wizard most. Krox hero sounds also nice and the priest is my last favorite option...
    I imagine the skink cav as a kind of quick unit with less attacks then the saurus versio.maybe -1 attacks but spears as ranged attack... Something like Indians in western movies...;)

6. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

I would like to see the skink cav to return ;) they could really help aiding in the core department, perhaps to spice, various of choices, a little up.
    Other then that, I reckon a krow hero could be fun. Let him be slightly different to a saurus hero, though

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

A stomp, 40mm, +2W and scaly skin 4+ isn't different? :D

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I wouldn't complain about any of those things, but I definitely wish we had more Core options than three units. Especially since two of those units (Skink Cohorts and Skink Skirmishers) are extremely similar to each other.

9. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Well my point was more that it shouldn't just be a better choice. So I guess leaving him at Ld 7 or not allowing him to be general, something a like that. Maybe not allowing him as many or only some specific magic items? :)

10. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I'd like to see skink cavalry (we had them before as a fast attack choice).
    I also like the idea of a Krox lord, so far my fav was the hero choice Nakai they did on the online website back in 6th ed.

Standard krox ancient stats, but had WS 5, regen and 4 wounds (I think...might have been just 3).

Slightly related, but do you want/would you like to see, the work I did post 7th edition army book?

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I can talk with the ABC team about it. Also do remember that anything can change just like the stegadon. I do, however, feel the kroxigor hero is rather safe, but we'll see. These things are just to give you an idea of where we're headed. I can't guarantee anything :)

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Capture2.JPG

No regen but he sported a 3+ scale skin save and a 5+ ward save.

13. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Not that one, they did one even before that version, it was the Tarantula coast campaign.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Interesting... I didn't even know that there was one before this one!

15. Malebranche
    Saurus

Malebranche Member

Krox hero (or lord!) could be very cool, but it doesn't seem necessary. I'm sure my opinion would change if I ran a Skink list though.

Cavalry as core seems like the best choice imo, and light cavalry would be very helpful. I'd personally just make an option to take COC as core, but another idea could be to simply use Cold Ones without riders, which would make dino lists a lot better.

Just an idea.

16. skink chief
    Kroxigor

skink chief Active Member

I would actually love to see a lvl 3 lord skink priest choice.
    I've made a fluff story on how they could come to being in the link below.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/the-second-coming-full.16924/

Why I like the idea:
    - In smaller point matches a Slann is way to expensive to bring. And then we have only Heavens or Beasts to choose from.
    - If they were to be lvl 3 that would not at all put the Slann in a though* spot imo. Slann's are lvl 4 and will hopefully have all their cool
    disciplines at their disposal. If you want to have strong magic and you play a game of 2000+ points, you'll take the Slann 9/10.
    - in smaller games if you want a general and bsb, you had to take 2 scar vets to have your bsb be any good. If these skink lords get ld 8 you fix that problem aswell..

The way I portraid them in my story there were 2 different ones. I made them both Oracles, being a little bigger then skinks and two tails.
    This way you dont need new models at all. Some putty and you have yourself a twin tailed skink priest that still looks different.
    1 of the two would have Light, Heavens, Life and Beasts magic with a small shield of Old Ones protection.
    The other type was more a fighting type with thougher scales and regeneration that knows the other 4 paths of magic.
    This is ofcourse just a story :D.

For option number 2 I don't really know.
    The Kroxigor hero: you have the model and the more talented people can make an amazing hero so that's cool. Also the fluff was there once..
    The Skink cav I just like more, fluff was there once too, but there are currently no models for it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  17. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

I have voted for:
    Kroxigor Hero, as it is far time we get one in the army book :bookworm:

Skink Cavalry, as I would love to bring out my 5th ed figures :angelic:, though I feel they should be core! If not it does not really make sense, i.e. a light and fast cav option in addition to the normal cold ones.

18. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks for your votes regarding the new units. I've compiled them and delivered them to the Committee. You're of course still allowed to continue discussing new units :)

Attached Files:

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Looks like pretty good alignment between the two groups. Krox hero and core skink cav seems like the way to go.

20. oldblood62
    Skink

oldblood62 Member

I voted for krox hero. I would loveee to see him at least have the option for light armor (he is a hero after all) and maybe if he carrys the battle standard he could be upgraded to heavy armor to give the incentive some might need to move away from the slann battle standard .

I think the skink core cold one riders for around 15 points with javs sounds good, maybe with the options for for shield light lance for 5 more and upgrade to horned ones with no stupidity for 5/10 more?

I really love what is going up with 9th age i appreciate all you folks making it happen!