1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The army painter

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by jgibbs2, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jgibbs2
    Skink

jgibbs2 New Member

I've been looking at this stuff for a while and was wondering if anyone else has used it or can offer some feed back one it.

I just bought some of the black primer, and it actually does work a little bit better then the citadel primer. It's a finer mist, and has come out with no clumping at all.

The thing I was most interested in was the army painter quickshade. Have you guys heard of this or had any personal experience with it?

http://thearmypainter.com/

2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Personally, I have never used it, so I can't offer any first-hand feedback, but I have heard nothing but good things from people who have.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Same, I haven't personally used them but I have heard quick shade is very good, much like using an ink/wash.

4. Gorgonzola
    Jungle Swarm

Gorgonzola New Member

If £ 16.00 - 18.00 is a lot of dough for you, how much more money would you loose by spoiling some nice miniatures? At least the latter didn't happen to me - I use pewter miniatures which can be easily stripped. And that's what I ultimately did.

1. If something sounds to good to be true (like on the ARMY PAINTER web page where everything is "fantastic" or "superb"), then it probably is. Don't forget, the founder Bo Penstoft is a marketing man!

2. £ 16 or more is incredibly expensive for... yes, for how much? It doesn't say on the can ;-)

3. You might need all three tones. I tried the brownish STRONG TONE for brown horses, and the results were... well, acceptable. On grey horses, it left brown blobs everywhere, which looks as if... I leave that to your imagination, but surely it doesn't look good. And I certainly won't buy another can just to try the blackish shade, because...

4. ... the sticky QUICK SHADE soup obscures any fine details of the 28 mm I am painting. Try to pat it off, and you are lucky if only the shade is gone.

5. Unless you like it glossy, you need to matt varnish your QUICKly SHADEd model. I used ARMY PAINTER's very own ANTI SHINE, and it did a hell of a job. My horses look as if they have been gallopping through a blizzard - the varnish doesn't flow but forms little droplets as soon as it hits the surface. Nice effect, but not the one I wanted. Spraying distance too small or large you might say - I wonder why that NEVER happened with the other varnishes I use (for more than 10 years of figure painting), like HUMBROL and PlastiKote.

6. Bad luck these, when I applied them, turned out to be incompatible with the shady stuff and cause shrivelling of the layer. Figures look as if they have leprosy. Cure: paint stripper for the miniature, and for the quick shade the bin. Cutting losses that's called.

However, this is my personal view, and other people might have different experiences. I suppose the only way to REALLY find out whether it works for yourself, you need to invest some money in QUICK SHADE and ANTI SHINE. In that case, do yourself a favour, try it out on a model that was destined for the bin anyway.