1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the exciting possibilities of oathmark

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

so, as some of you may be following, northstar is releasing miniatures under the brand name oathmark, which will apparently be a game too at some point. currently they have dwarves and goblins, with elves in the pipeline for SOON. As always, I'm hoping for undead, but these elves looks suitable generic enough to be used en masse and in different games. also, they have a silmarilion look going on, which i dig.

what are your thoughts on the oathmark stuff?

oathmark elves.jpg oathmark elves2.jpg

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

They look like they could have potential.

Captaniser likes this.
  3. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I've been following their posts about them, and I must say I'm intrigued. I'm interested to see where they take the humans, but the dwarves are intriguing as well.

Aginor and Captaniser like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Do you have a link to some Dwarf pics of theirs?

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

assuming the elves are going to be like the dwarves, it will probably be 30 infantry for $35 usd, which is fantastic

7. Aginor
    Slann

Indeed!

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I mean, ten archers and a block of spearmen per box. The force building options are definitely there, even from one box

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Dwarfs holding bows is unusual. Dwarfs with Xbows are ubiquitous.

How do I get Dwarfs with bows?

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

They are very nice figures - look forward to seeing what this Oathmark game is all about as well.

11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Full production unit back from the painters.

FB_IMG_1521717463620.jpg

12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Those oathmark elves are being released at Salute. The Monday after is general release on the website. There will be bundle deals.

13. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Oathmark elves on general release today. Multi box deals, deals with metal elf heroes, etc. These are not preorders, they ship immediately.

FB_IMG_1523882497637.jpg

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They would make good additional High Elf Spearmen and Archers for my collection as GW got rid of theirs when AoS came around.

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  15. knave
    Skink

knave Member

I hate to commit thread necromancy, but as the Oathmark rulebook has not long been released it seemed appropriate.

My copy, plus a box each of human infantry and wolf riders, is still in the mail and it might be a few weeks before it reaches the land down under. Has anyone else picked up a copy or even managed a game?

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Didn’t know it had been released. I’d be interested to see what the ruleset is like, and see how it measures up to Warhammer Fantasy. I do like the races they’ve made for this game, with nods to both Tolkien and Warhammer Fantasy, especially the Dwarfs and the medieval Celtic humans.

GW’s Lord of the Rings Dwarves also have bows, so I think it depends on the fantasy world.

Those Oathmark Dwarfs would look great as additional Lord of the Rings Dwarves, especially as the new Heavy Infantry would work well as Khazad Guard and Iron Guard.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  17. knave
    Skink

knave Member

Honestly the early medieval Gaelic looking humans were a big selling point for me. And the old fantasy lord of the rings aesthetic. Tolkien wrote his Rohirrim to be reflective of Anglo Saxon culture afterall.

18. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

They have a new product line that I missed?!? Awesome! I have about 4 boxes of their plastic Gnolls from Frostgrave ($40 for 20 minis) that I'm using to make a kind of wannabe Dogs of War army! You could also grab their snake-men (from the Archipelago branch of Frostgrave), "crew" (basically medieval sailors), barbarians (norsemen), cultists (seriously - reminds me of GW chaos cultists) and so forth! Northstar does nice work, both in sculpting and production! Very little flash on their minis, nice sculpts, very pose-able! Reminds me of the original GW plastic boxes! I've been adding weapons from some Perry Bros boxes to flesh out the weapon options. :D

Now I have to get a box of those goblin wolf riders and combine them with the gnolls to make gnoll hyenadon cavalry! :D

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Some news from Oathmark with regards to what’s coming this year (this was released in January but I’ve only just found it):
    All of these sound great. The Medieval Celtic Human Infantry are great so I’m certainly looking forward to their Cavalry, Oathmark Dwarves look great too so I’m interested to see what their Light Infantry will be like.

The Oathmark Skeletons look like the Cauldron-born from the Black Cauldron which I really enjoy, and here’s a piece of art they’ve done for the Revenants:
    [​IMG]

Some wonderful La Tene Celtic aesthetics there. Apparently these are on the side of the good guys, fighting to fulfil oaths they swore in life, and their mummified look, their ability to retain the fighting skills they developed in life and elite status all come together to make them look like a combination of Celts, the Dead of Dunharrow and Tomb Kings, which is frankly wonderful. Apparently there will also be Cavalry for these at some point, but for now I’m certainly looking forward to the Infantry.

Light Infantry for their gobbos will also be fun to see, and it’ll be interesting to see what their Orcs look like in relation to the Goblins, who themselves heavily resemble Tolkien Orcs. Perhaps Oathmark Orcs will resemble Uruk-Hai or something.

Regardless, I can’t wait to see all these releases arrive. Oathmark fills me with joy because every faction they’ve developed so far in this range looks great, and there is no faction so far that I dislike, which is frankly amazing given how much I grumble about my least favourite factions in other games :D

Padre and Imrahil like this.
  20. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

They have pictures of their Revenants online now. I know they showed them in the Oathmark Facebook group.

I love the Oathmark miniatures. They are great models for a great price. While the game runs on 25mm bases, they got just fine on 20mm bases as well, if you want to use them for WHFB or 9th Age. The weapons mix well with the Frostgrave boxes, too. Overall, I highly recommend them. (I reviewed the actual game a while back, but it's a great, worthy successor to WHFB if you want a rank and flank fantasy game.)