1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS The new Battletome: A Discussion

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by sigmonstar, Mar 2, 2020.

?

Are you optimistic about our new battletome?

1. Yes

160 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Undecided

30 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

But the problem of our summoning that it isn't a toolbox. No matter how people disliked our old summoning, I still think that it was the best ballanced one in the game. The only problems were the fact that it was tied to slann general, we had it 100% over spells (mostly because we didn't have spells and when we got them, they were still bad) and that our bad warscrolls forced us to go skink spams. I like the idea of adjustments, but they've got a bit too far with point costs, IMO. Instead of eliminating skink spam they made it the only option. In my review I mentioned a couple of units that are nice for summoning, but in fact you will need to spend CCP in early game to gain initiative. This leaves you with literally two options - skinks (bodies to take objectives) and salamander (even a single salamander has decent damage and will 100% fire after summoning). All other options are either underwhelming (except, maybe guard or 10 saurus) or simply too expensive to summon in the early game. If you feel that you can conserve CCP, most likely, you are already winning, which makes summoning a tool to finish off already losing opponent and not something that helps you to turn the tide.

That's why I wouldn't consider Seraphon summoning a tool. Summoning a chief may be interesting on paper, but in fact you may have so much trouble with positioning, that bringing him in the first place will be way more worth 1 more leader slot or endless spell.

Canas likes this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well that's not broken at all.... Seriously Teclis autocasting spells, the spells themselves being rather insane (why the hell does he have a 5+ wardsave bubble?), stoneguard apparently being borderline immortal, everything appears to be rather cheap... totally not worrisome at all.

3. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Yeah, just wanted to post this too.

Our prophecies come true. This one looks like the most busted thing in AoS so far. Teclis costs as much as Allariel. And can do THIS. I don't know what to say.

Imrahil and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The example of the skink chief is literally the only good one as it's the only summoning option we have with a dramatic impact with a single summon (assuming you already have terradons on the table). For nearly everything else (bar our big dino's) a single summon will simply not achieve all that much. For summoning to work as a toolbox you need to be able to summon in combo's. And we simply can't summon that quickly.

Erta Wanderer and Nart like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

You know what? I'm happy.
    Seriously.

Because at this point i want to believe no one will dare to say that we are broken or overpowered, because seriously, WTF.

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

It would be hard after seeing Stone guard they cost the same as our guard and are about three times better

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Alas, i already know some people that will say that AoS is balanced, you cannot look at the warscroll alone, yadda yadda.

Canas and Erta Wanderer like this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I'm really curious what the hell the elves drawback is supposed to be though. So far the closest we've had is the line in those pictures stating the stone guard are "slow, for an elf". Which you know, probably means they have a movement of "only" 6" while all others go 10"+ or something ridiculous...

Imrahil and Erta Wanderer like this.
  9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

They aren't even all that expensive 10 guys for 140 is pretty good and even their Elite guys aren't terribly expensive

Imrahil and Canas like this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

I fear that, despite the amount of theoretical options our battletome gave us, in a brief arc of time our competitive lists will become just MWs spam.

11. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

Based on today’s reveals, I feel like our ability to hand-wave away multiple endless spells may be more valuable than first thought. Although you can bet the lumineth dispel game will be strong...

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  12. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Really? the only one I'm worried about is twin stones and we don't even know what it does yet

Xuil likes this.
  13. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

What is Coalesced then? Saurus Warrior spam? Saurus Knight spam? He really only had 50 Skinks in his list, that is actually rather low for a Fangs of Sotek army imo. The total wound count is around 125 which is about the same as most Saurus lists that I have seen. Obviously its a little on the lower end, but thats because he has invested so many points into a Troglodon etc., which is the same amount of points as another blob of 40 Skinks.

I mean most of us here have yet to play a real game with the new tome (I dont really give much for Tabletop Simulator), so theorycrafting should always be taken with a grain of salt, but the guy got a lot of experience and likely got more podiums than all of us combined, so I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss his ideas and thoughtprocess.

14. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

I feel like we play 2 very different games. Whenever you talk about summoning you make it sound like every game is almost over by the end of battle round 2. Thats just not what is happening in my games. As he talked about in the podcast too, most games in tournaments are decided in round 4/5 where especially summoning armies got a big advantage, since they can summon bodies onto an objective etc.

Our old summoning was broken beyond belief IMO, but that might be why we see the current summoning so different. If you believe the old system was "fine" and came to expect something similar, I can understand why you are disappointed at the new CCP system. I think its great. I would have liked a steady amount of CCP rather than a D3, but I guess it is to create some lows and highs.

Edit: Will the most often answer be to summon 10 Skinks? Likely. But there will be situations where you want that one Salamander, or another 3 fresh Terradons to bomb something, or call in a Terradon/Ripper Chief because you didnt need them until turn 3 etc., or a new Skink hero.

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

I love how lumineth are immune to the effects of the rune of petrification. They don't need bound endless spells...

Nart and Erta Wanderer like this.
  16. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Yeah but that's common amongst faction specific endless spells and the Rune of petrification isn't very good half a chance to deal 1d3 and -1 to charge if you're within 6 it is not worth casting

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

True enough

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Lumineth endless spells

Do note the ridiculously powerfull defensive spell (+1 to saves, -1 to being hit, explode into mortal wounds for anyone near you if someone has the audacity to attack you)

Also a crystal that builds charges, which doesn't actually explain what it does with the charges.

in fairness, that really shouldn't be a thing. Being immune to your own endless spells takes away the one significant limitation endless spells have.

Killer Angel and Erta Wanderer like this.
  19. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

I feel like I’ve read a different spell to the rest of you...

At the start AND end of the movement phase. Two rolls in their turn, so an average D3 wound bomb, before a chance to dispel it. Then we either dispel or it’s another two rolls in our turn.

It’s not the absolute best spell ever, but it’s a super high priority to dispel, if it’s covering your back line or RSE.

I was referring mainly to the twin stones however. Wizards draw on their power (in some way), and the last thing we want is something contesting our magic game with empowered dispels.

Canas and Erta Wanderer like this.
  20. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

it's also stationary and I'm betting you have to fit the unit inside it San Antonio going to help on foot Wizards and even then it's going to tie them down