1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog The skink followers of a mad slann. Hojdars paint log + Silver Tower shenanigans!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Hojdar, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

So I'm working on a skink army, though I don't have much spare time to paint atm. I'm working on some back story but it's not done yet so all you get is what the topic tells you.

I'm a novice to painting. I haven't painted anything since I was a kid and I was horrible back then. I'm doing somewhat better now, probably because I'm more patient. I do appreciate feedback and ideas for improvement. My skills aren't perfected and I'd like to get better. I am also a horrible photografer so sorry for the bad pics!

More updates to come... eventually!

I started off with some skinks. I'm going for some bright and poisonous colours and i always liked yellow.

20130930_221707_zpsc6cbc5d0.jpg
    20130930_221910_zpse33c6805.jpg
    20130930_221622_zpsfb8ecf02.jpg

I also have a WIP stegadon, which will be the next to get done before I paint more skinks

20130930_221540_zpse215aacd.jpg
    20130930_221459_zpsa74d2a86.jpg

Seraphage and BeardyGecko like this.
  2. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Great work! I think you are selling yourself short.

BeardyGecko likes this.
  3. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

I agree with the above. Your work is coming along nicely. One thing maybe if you wanted to add a pupil to the eye of your skinks. I know some people don't like to so that's cool too. Either way they look good to me.

4. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

Thanks for the kind words! Although I see myself as a novice still, I am very pleased with how everything has turned out so far. I just have a bad habit of noticing every single detail that I messed up... kinda seeing the glass half empty I'm afraid.

I have been thinking about pupils. I like it they way they are atm, but to be honst the real reason that I don't have pupils is that I don't have a small enough brush and none of the local stores sells any detail brushes small enough. Getting that blue paint on the eyes is tough as it is with my brushes, I just can't the pupils on there when I try :rage:

My stegadon is finally done! Painting it took quite a while and i really struggled glueing it together. I'm pleased with the results though and I will get a pic up soon, probably tomorrow.

5. Lord Bufo
    Saurus

Lord Bufo New Member

Rarely do you see so many different colors on a skink, it looks great! Can't wait to read the fluff!

6. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

As promised here are the pics. Sorry about the horrible quality, I will try to find a way to get better photos in the future.

20131013_093546_zps377facb6.jpg

20131013_093139_zps42326735.jpg

20131013_093846_zps0413897e.jpg

I'm gonna be abit busy for the next two weeks as exams are closing in so wont have anything up for a while probably. I'm probably starting on a cohort next and possibly a priest. And when my exams are done I'm gonna treat myself with a bastiladon :meh:

7. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

It's time to revive this bad boy! Due to my bachelors aswell as other stuff I haven't had time to post any pics for some time. I have managed to squeeze in some painting every now and then and here are the results:

First up is the Bastiladon. The pattern is my first real free hand attempt and I am quite happy with it. The colour might be too bold or vivid for some but that's life, I am going for a vivid look as if the skinks brought all the exotic creatures of the jungle they could find to the battle field.

DSC_0010_zpsbb37d754.jpg

DSC_0015_zps4ac098ab.jpg

DSC_0018_zps1b75202b.jpg

DSC_0020_zps30158a79.jpg

DSC_0022_zps4076cadb.jpg

I also got working on the cohort unit. 6 skinks are done so far, nothing spectacular here really since they look the same as the skirmishers apart from the shield. I will probably try and make a command unit of some sort with the spare parts from the stegadon kit. That is in the future though.

DSC_0042_zpse95a98d1.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsd4129267.jpg

Coming shortly is my new skink priest I've been working on. I'm planning a little conversion, which will be my first ever so we'll se how it turns out. I also got my kroxigors and salamander in the mail so they are on the to do list aswell as my skink chief on ripper/terradon. Hopefully I'll have a full 1000p skink army by the end of spring!

Seraphage, n810 and Jorgik like this.
  8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Great job on the Bastiladon and Skinks. :D

9. Sandrockkai
    Skink

Sandrockkai Member

I love the contrast on your Bastilodon! Excellent work.

10. Connosaurus
    Saurus

Connosaurus New Member

Really love the color of your bastiladon, its just so unexpected, you generally see darker scale colors, keep up the great work, hope to see your saurus soon. :)

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Oh that's one sexeh bast you have, and I love the bright colors of your skinks - it really makes them pop out, unlike my purple/pink-ish skinks xD

Keep up the good work, looking forward to see some saurus. :)

**EDIT**

Good job on reading there in my part. You won't even go for some templeguards either? Or a cowboy?

12. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

I will probably paint a cowboy from the troglodon kit for funzies to bring back the good old memories! First I need to buy that kit, and I probably need to paint some of the units I already bought or my better half will throw dirty looks at me :D

The priest is done and pics are coming soon. Working on a chief on ripper atm and after that I'm doing some kroxigors, a salamander and more skinks! That should rap up the 1000p army and the trog will probably come after that.

thx for all the kind replies!

13. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

As promised here is the priest but the camera apparently had some focus issues so sorry about the blurry details. I struggled abit with the feathers for a while, they didn't quite end up as i had imagined. But in the end I am happy with them, though they are no Neveroddereven feathers :)

As you can see I did some converting/kit bashing with this one. The snakes are from the bastiladon kit and they fit surprisingly good in the skinks hand, so I consider my first convertion a succes!

DSC_0040_zps93096103.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsfb59210d.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsec396046.jpg

DSC_0028_zps017b6afe.jpg

n810 likes this.
  14. Kroq
    Cold One

Kroq New Member

That's a cool idea and well realised !
    I love all the different colored snakes!

15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

That's funny, I was thinking of using the snakes from my bast to something so I might do something like yours. Also, great work with the skink, looks awesome. :)

16. Cipactli of Tlanextl
    Skink

Cipactli of Tlanextl New Member

Like the colors on your Bastiladon. Very striking armor!

17. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

It's time for a little update! My skink chief on ripper is ready to rumble. I tried some different painting techniques on some bits, like the feathers, and I am quite hapy with the results. I got the clolour inspiration from a picture of a feathered velociraptor-ish dino that I found on the web.

The next planned thing was a kroxigor, but due to the skinkapalooza competition that has been pushed back in favour of the convertion thing i am going to enter with. Hopefully I will make it in time, as it would be shameful not to enter a skink competition when my army is skinks only :p

Comments, compliments and critique is always appreciated!

DSC_0059_zpsffac3f28.jpg

DSC_0062_zpsfc520908.jpg

DSC_0080_zps5e86f120.jpg

DSC_0075_zpsd221f435.jpg

DSC_0064_zps335526f5.jpg

DSC_0088_zps93d1c68b.jpg

DSC_0079_zps5283b9f7.jpg

Jorgik likes this.
  18. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

the ripper looks really awesome! Keep up the good work!

19. Kroq
    Cold One

Kroq New Member

I can't stand ripperdactyls, but you painted it well....

20. Connosaurus
    Saurus

Connosaurus New Member