1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiff file ext support

Discussion in 'Ideas, problems and feedback' started by Crowsfoot, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I use the camera+ app for taking pictures on my iphone and the latest update now saves pics in the .tiff format which is unsupported on the site.

Could this extension be supported or do I need to save the pics as a different format but how I do this god knows as the app and iphone don't let you choose your file type.

Cheers

Crow

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

click on upload a file, and then bottom right on the file types...
    looks like most other formats are supported besides .tiff :(

3. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

I am afraid that we will not be supporting .tif/.tiff image format on the website. This is a format that was not made for use on the web (actually created before the web as we know it today was a reality). It is made to store a lot of information about the image, and by this create a more "accurate" image and colors than for example .jpg and .png, but at the cost of that the file size is much larger. This file format is the closest you can get to the DSLR RAW format, which contain even more information.

To convert a .tif image to .jpg or .png you will need an image software. Either a standalone converter (I do not recommend this) or a software like Adobe Photoshop etc. There is free open source software as well like Gimp, which will be a much better choice if you just want to convert the files. They have Linux, Windows and Mac versions available.

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I put them on my pc and converted in paint, I think if I don't use the Pro setting in Camera+ it saves them as jpeg so I should be sorted either way, thanks for the response @The Red Devil

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I just take pics in the high quality setting and not pro on the app and it now saves them as a jpeg, quality has dropped a tad but my photo skills are not great so you can't tell in the end result!

Thanks for the link it may still come in useful ;)