1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Tlaltechutli's horde of Skinks

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by TheCaseAce, Apr 24, 2018.

1. TheCaseAce
    Skink

TheCaseAce New Member

Hi

I've started to get paint on minis so figured I should start a plog.

I've always liked the Seraphon but really it's the giant dinosaurs and Skinks that appeal to me. The Saurus I am kind of "meh" about. I might buy some at some point but for now, the rule for my army is that every model needs to be a skink, or have a skink riding it.

Apart from, of course, the Slann, who I am calling Tlaltechutli (TLAL TECH HOOTLY) after a "frog like deity" of the mesoamerican people who was tied in with their myths of creation and destruction.

Here's the army so far, fully built and waiting to be primed:
    IMG_20180411_234603.jpg

It consists of...
    Slann Starmaster
    Skink Starseer
    Skink Starpriest
    Skink Priest (converted from a skink with loads of feathers and "trappings" attached)
    70 skinks
    3 Ripperdactyl
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine
    Going to be using the Shadowstrike Starhost.
    I will add other monsters to expand it. Probably an EoTG.

I initally did a test colour scheme which was quite a bright blue with pink scales...
    IMG_20180201_074615.jpg
    however although I liked it in theory, I thought the look of the army might be too cartoony. I wanted something which was still bright but a little bit more serious.

Here's test skink number 2.
    IMG_20180420_194357.jpg
    Much happier with that colour scheme, so decided to make a Tetrad colour palette using http://paletton.com which I think helps to create a really coherent look for the army. This is the outcome...

IMG_20180420_122754.jpg

So the basic colour is a fairly standard Skinky sea green colour with Sotek Green and Skink Blue highlights. I will then use Averland Sunset and Jokaero Orange as the spot colours. I am not sure yet if I will use the more "Temple Guard Blue" kind of colour for anything. Perhaps that will be the Ripperdactyl colours.

So far I've just been airbrushing the base colours of the 70 skinks... they got the Coelia Greenshade wash last night.
    IMG_20180420_194819.jpg

And I've set to work on the Bastiladon.
    IMG_20180424_074526.jpg

I think is going to have the Averland Sunset yellow warpaint on it but I am trying to work out what that looks like and how I paint it. Not sure whether to attempt to freehand some kind of aztec design, or just do a kind of abstract sunburst motif to represent the solar engine.

Thoughts and feedback very welcomed!!

tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I love the second skink and wow what a start, you have painted before but what?

TheCaseAce likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Nice start!
    (and nice name choice for a Slann, mine is called like that as well. :) )

TheCaseAce likes this.
  4. TheCaseAce
    Skink

TheCaseAce New Member

Thanks. Yeah the contrast between the white and blue is the point where I thought "ok, I can live with this scheme"

I've been painting 40k stuff a few years now but only just started AoS. My instagram is here: https://www.instagram.com/mattminismanchester/

That's awesome. Been researching mesoamerican myths and art to see what I can use and when I saw the frog headed deity I thought "bingo!"

My other idea I am tinkering with is creating a realistic looking heart out of green stuff and little tubes which fits into the Skink Starpriest's outstreched claw... then use Blood for the Blood God to make it look like he's ripped it out of a chest.

Then perhaps the Slann might have blood on his mouth, as clearly he eats the hearts of Chaos worshipping mortals that his rememberings bring to him.

I'm not sure whether this could be cool and unique or just look crappy. We will see.

Warden and tom ndege like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

There is an oop model just like that,

[​IMG]

Warden and TheCaseAce like this.
  6. TheCaseAce
    Skink

TheCaseAce New Member

Haha. This thread is crushing my dreams of being original.
    It's as if other people have also briefly researched the Aztecs before painting the aztec lizardmen! Damn youuuuuuuuuuuuu

Warden, Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Looking pretty awesome so far!

TheCaseAce likes this.
  8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

if you want to be original. build some sort of awesome platform thing on a stegadons back, and have that model sacrificing someone at the top.

TheCaseAce likes this.
  9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Awesome stuff! Yup there are definately a couple people who have used Mesoamerican sources to inspire their Lizardmen projects... :D

If you need more, we have a large thread with tons of pictures, mostly Mayans but there are some Aztec stuff sprinkled throughout.

TheCaseAce likes this.