1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Topics for FAQs

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nart, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

EDIT: This is the final list of questions I want to send to AoS Rules team. I almost certainly forgot something. Feel free to remind me and I will add them to the list.

1. Is it intended that Bastiladon ignores any negative modifiers to save rolls as long as it suffered less than 2 wounds? 1+ save means that the save roll will be successful regardless of modifiers as long as it is not natural 1. For example, attacker's weapon's rend characterisitcs is equal to 3 and natural roll, caused by attack of this weapon, is equal to 2. 2 - 3 = -1, but minimum roll value is 1. So, the result, after modifiers, isl be equal to 1. 1=1+, therefore, the saving roll is successful.

2. Engine of the Gods profile states, that it's crew is treated like mount in all manners. Does this mean, that is is affected by Prime Warbest command trait from Thuder Lizard Constellation? Also, neither Skink Chief's on Stegadon, nor Engine of the God's profile states that Stegadon is actually a mount. Does this mean that Stegadon's attacks are not affected by Prime Warbeast command trait. In the case of Engine of the Gods, does this mean that Stegadons attacks affected by Command Traits, since Warscroll doesn't state, that stegadon is a mount.

3. Is it intended that Parting Shot command ability of the Fangs of Sotek constellation can be used even on Skinks or Chameleon Skinks unit, even if there are no enemies within 3" of this unit?

4. Instinctive Defence ability from Razrodon's Warscroll is not restricted to enemy charge phase. Is it intedned?

5. Are there any benifits for non-predatory bound endless spells, except not being affected by Drain Magic spell?

6. Scar-Veteran's on Carnosaur Celestite warspear weapon has the same characteristics as Celestite Warblade but 1 more point of Range characteristics and it is also affected by Celestite Warspear ability. This means that Warblade is strictly worse than Warspear. Is it intended?

7. Is it possible for non-Seraphon models to garrison in Realmshaper Engine? What rules should be used for Realmshaper Engine in Pitched Battles - ones, that appear in the Order Battletome: Seraphon or ones in General Handbook 2019?

8. Can Oldblood on Carnosaur be taken as a part of Sunclaw Starhost?

9. Can a model on Balewind Vortex enter a garrison? If yes, will it cause Balewind Vortex to dispel? Can a model, while being garrisoned, cast Balewind Vortex?

10. How many celestial conjurations can be performed by a single Slann or Oracle in each hero phase?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

i can answer theis the endless spels like spell portal and cogs can only be used by the caster(this does make it hard for a skink to buf a slann with cogs but eh)
    and the spear deals 2 damage on the charge so it is situationaly better

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  3. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Yes, but what about palisade or balewind?

Not for scarvet. Both sword and spear are 6 3+/3+/-/1, but Spear has 2" and 2 damage on charge.

Womboski likes this.
  4. crazyhorse1321
    Skink

crazyhorse1321 Member

I don't understand why people are having a hard time understanding the 1+ save. I don't see what about it needs an FAQ?

Blitzkriyg likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The only thing that comes to mind is that an enemy Slann could not dispell them with his new spell, but that's it so far.

6. Aginor
    Slann

Well, both people saying it does override the core rules, and people say it doesn't claim that it is "obvious". So it needs a FAQ.

7. ThePhilosopherX
    Saurus

ThePhilosopherX Active Member

There’s debate because warscroll rules override core rules, implying that it is possible to save on 1s with a Bastiladon with its 1+ save. Some people think that is the case, others argue that you fail on 1s before checking the save, so you can never save on 1s.

8. crazyhorse1321
    Skink

crazyhorse1321 Member

To me this is pretty basic. The roll of 1's always fail. The 1+ is the characteristic not a rule so it doesn't override the core rules. It's just to make it so that rend is less impactful on it.

Blitzkriyg and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

That's my interpretation, too.
    But a +1 characteristic is so fundamentally different from what we usually have that it might just be intended to actually override the core rule and allow that 1+ to be a success. That's why it should be FAQed IMO. a FAQ entry is simple and short and will clear it up.

EDIT: In fact I think we should have more FAQs or designer commentaries for seemingly "obvious" things. It is a complex game and the rules do interact in weird ways at times. FAQs are cheap.

10. crazyhorse1321
    Skink

crazyhorse1321 Member

It's not new design space. The Chaos Lord on Manticore is a 1+ to wound on his Fangs and Claws and it didn't get an FAQ. If it was a special rule then I could see some peoples arguments, but since it's a stats characteristic it doesn't override anything.

Womboski and Blitzkriyg like this.
  11. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Can the old blood on carnosaur be used in the sunclaw star/templehost.

Lot of discussion on the what's app about it. Specifically around the section in the core rules around battalions that speaks to subheads on unit entries.

Nart likes this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

And I have read heated discussions about it. It sucks. Which is why it should be FAQed.

ILKAIN, Carnikang and Erta Wanderer like this.
  13. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

Was it agreed upon that the blot toad is once per battle regardless of how many ripperdactyl units there are? Or once per game for EACH ripperdactyl unit?

...I suppose it's the former as the latter would be quite OP...but the design notes does say blot toadS & markerS...lol

Nart likes this.
  14. Mistergos
    Jungle Swarm

Mistergos New Member

Hi there

I would ask if it was in purpose that ennemies can garrison in our own scenery?

The way i see it, it is barely useable since we have hardly the first turn choice and we do not know which side of the table we will have when we set the pyramid.

Seems to me that we have the first negative free scenery .

Womboski and Nart like this.
  15. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

On bastiladon - it is pretty clear, that 1+ save is intended. And it is clear, that it is virtually invulnerable save. But it is not clear if it is what GW wanted. If it is a bug, it will be fixed sooner or later. I'd prefere sooner.

Good catch on ripperdactyl and terrain. Thank you!

I think, we should ask about BWV and Garrison too. Can someone, please, formulate the question? I didn't pay much attention to the discussion and can confuse things.

Womboski likes this.
  16. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Can they FAQ our faction terrain placement Rules? Having to place it before table sides are chosen just guarantees the opponent will never let you pick the table side with the terrain so you will never get to use it unless you go first.

also they probably need to re-emphasize the rule that you can’t take two of the same endless spell model,
    So you can’t take a normal endless spell and a bound version of the same spell.

17. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

Regarding BwV:

Can a model on BwV enter the Realmshaper Engine?
    Can a wizard cast BwV while inside the Realmshaper Engine?

Womboski, Carnikang and Nart like this.
  18. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

If the Realmshaper terrain is intended as a “mini game” with your opponent, or if it can be changed to after players pick sides. If the mini game is intended, Im 100% refunding that purchase.

What happens if the opponent splits attacks and allocates half to Slann/Kroak and half to the Saurus Guards nearby. The Saurus Guards will die to the split attacks alone, but what determines what happens first? Slann/Kroak tranfering wounds to the Guards, resulting in overkilling, or the Guards dying, meaning no 2+ on Slann/Kroak.

In general it would be nice with a clarification if you can use Kroaks save, 4+ FNP, 6+ FNP from banner and then transfer to Guards on a 2+, or if you have to transfer first, then use Kroaks saves/FNP on any 1’s.

I personally cant understand the confusion in regards to the Bastiladon, but guess it would be an easy clarification for them to make.

Purpose of bound non predatory/interactive spells like Palisade/Shackles. Is it really just for the mass dispell spell?

Garvlok and Womboski like this.
  19. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

What makes you think the ability is once per game regardless of how many units you bring? The ability is on the warscroll, so each unit get to drop a toad sometime during the battle.

The designers note even talk about how the markers are an indication for how many times you can use it.

20. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

When others talked about it, they made it sound like it was once per game no matter how many units there are. I'm with you in that it's per unit, I don't recall many (if any) really discussing how potentially damaging that could be with MSU ripper units and one blot toad affecting all the ones in range....maybe cause they're not that resilient? Idk.

Still would like a clarification to be sure lol