1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. tourney razors

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by zenteck, Sep 26, 2015.

1. zenteck
    Skink

zenteck New Member

Hello my reptilian forum goers.
    I am planning on going to a tournament in a few months time (my first time and i've been playing for about 3 years (sort of)), and i was wondering how my list may fair in a somewhat competitive environment (not to win of course! just not to get too whooped).

I am definitely taking my razordons so I altered my list to help boost them up somewhat (hand of glory!).

here goes
    slann with focus of mystery, becalming cog, harmonics and staff shenanigans.
    a skink priest with a scroll
    gor rok (who doesn't like the great white lizard (ok ok i lie for me he's painted like the rest of the army, sue me!).

saurus warriors, 35 (gorrok in ere).
    skinks 17 or 18 something like that and 2 krox in there

temple guards 24
    rippers 3

razors 5
    salamander
    salamander

and some random upgrades here and there.
    I'm just wondering how this may (or knowing my fluffy nature) or may not work out for a competitive nature. remember my main goal is to have fun but not to get tabled every game if i can help it! any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Recommend you give the solo Salamander packs snacks, that way you can have a worst case scenario of eating three handlers and avoid the monster reaction chart.

It's a balanced list on the whole, but it's a little unorthodox in that you don't have any chaff and that leaves your two Sallies fairly exposed. You can cover this by having your Rippers or Razordons clear enemy chaff but that's kind of like using a sledge hammer to tap in a nail. Another alternative is to use magic missiles. With this set up, every High Magic spell you give up should be to get things like Spirit Leech, Fireball, Searing Doom, and other goodies for your Skink Priest to channel...oh wait, without a unit a skirmishers your Skink Priest will be little more than a scroll caddy.

Suggest you drop the Skroxigor block for a pair of 13 strong Skink Skirmishers plus some change to make your TG bunker a little bigger.

3. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

It is a really unorthodox list, not much people shy away from our extremely good skirmishers, but i can see it work. You have a lot of blocks then really can deliver a beating in CC, but you are really slow, against a DE horse army you will not be able to do anything. Consider splitting the razors into 2 units to be able to defend both your flanks, and hope that you can grind your opponents down. Taking the lore of light should also be considered, you have so many sauri, light buffs them really well

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Splitting the Razordons in two ruins the whole Hand of Glory synergy goal. As does taking the Lore of Light. That said, you should use Contemplations to pick up Light spells like crazy.

5. zenteck
    Skink

zenteck New Member

cheers for the replies guys! Yeah its a very unorthodox list, but that's because i'm an unorthodox player, like to make the unworkable, workable! I was wondering if the light magic missile would be good enough to cover chaff removal to an extent, at least on one flank while the razors shoot up the other side (i find their short range means that they won't be shooting anything but chaff for the first couple of turns (long distance modifiers are rubbish!). What i'm thinking thanks to scalenex is to start swapping into the lore of light early on, hoping to get the speed buffs, but also accepting missiles at the same time. That way as airjamy stated I can start buffing up the very slow saurus tide. I find the best part about high magic is its versatility in the fact that the buffs work very well with the list I'm working with.

As much as skirmishers are great (not denying they would be great in any list), I'm trying to keep the list skirmish free just to prove a point that you can have a somewhat competitive list without them. And y'know getting the old razor name out there (too many people I bump into hardly even know what they are!).

I was considering swapping gor rok after last weekends games with an oldblood (1+ reroll 4+ward str 6 build) for more durability and a tiny bit more strength due to the fact that saurus in that quantity don't typically lose steadfast until after gor rok is long gone. The durability as a result may come in handy.

there are two builds (shield, armor destiny, sword of might and dawnstone) (steg helm, GW, preservation and tricksters) one is very killy, the other just defensive as anything. I was thinking the list does not need high strength (have a few bases covered in the form of strength 5s everywhere, with some strength 7s), so the first option maybe the go to?

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I would dump the rippers and kroxigors and add more skink skirmishers. Otherwise you'll just get redirected. Your shouldn't take our cheap points since it's so expensive.