1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial TRIALS OF FOUR OLD ONES: Update and revival - 01/04/2018

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Rikard, Dec 18, 2014.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Like this?...
    UC2961.jpg

Imrahil, Warden, Jorgik and 2 others like this.
  2. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Yes.

Yes.

Mine is pokier.

3. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Mine (if I have one) is one atom thick. It slices with no effort thought stone ;)

Bowser likes this.
  4. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Child's play, mine is so sharp it can even penetrate through the internet to poke people.*

*Take the hint all of you and get cracking!

Jorgik, Bowser and tom ndege like this.
  5. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Poke poke poke! I think you all know what time it is!

I'm going to be a tad late on this one, you see I am finally, completely and totally finished with my electrics course!
    So last night happened and er...I am a little worse for wear this morning. *sips coffee*

Jorgik likes this.
  6. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I sadly couldn´t finish my stegadon. Had to prepare for the move and lacked any time; and now I have to work on the contest entry or will run out of time. But this however gave me a strong "poke" and managed to do lots of work on it. I will hopefully have time to finish it after July when I finish the entry. And then will post some pictures!!

7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Oh right, is this extended, or is there a new topic for this month?

8. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

A cheeky extension wouldn't go amiss, not just because I've somehow managed to find myself with EVEN MORE paperwork to sort out, urgh...

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I can't show mine until after the Golden Serpent as I am full tilt with that atm.

10. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

@Crowsfoot I must sadly say the same as I have not had time for a side progect :(

11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Just waiting on the green stuff to cure, then I can paint mine. So it should be posted up in a day or two.

Rikard likes this.
  12. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Does it need to be painted? Then no way I'll be able to finish my stegadon :joyful:

Bowser likes this.
  13. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I don't think so, just I want to have it painted.

Jorgik likes this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

2016-07-07 20.48.22.jpg
    Looks kind of dumb with regular saurus body and scar vet head. So let's bulk him up
    2016-07-07 20.48.45.jpg
    A bit better, don't skip leg day completely. Also his blessing was a turtle shell instead of thicker scales. Because he should fit in with the rest of my army.
    2016-07-07 20.49.16.jpg
    That shell needs some sort of pattern. Well, one that is different from my finger prints. Lovely as they are.
    2016-07-07 20.49.36.jpg
    Fun fact, putting your hand on soft green stuff means you will need to re carve your pattern. Any mistakes are preplanned battle damage. Prove me wrong. Also he got horns.
    2016-07-07 20.50.11.jpg 2016-07-07 20.50.24.jpg 2016-07-07 20.50.36.jpg 2016-07-07 20.50.48.jpg
    This is also my first model with a scratch built shell. The rest all have space marine or bastiladon parts.

15. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Nope, doesn't have to be painted at all.

@Bowser, nice touch, I'll give you a more thorough crit when I've got mine up.

Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  16. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Nice work @Bowser I am trying to complete my stuff the the serpentcontest so I will try my hand at this later ^_^

Bowser likes this.
  17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I am hoping to see a few more once the golden serpent contest is closed. I really want to see other people's interpretations on this theme!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

Haha that first image almost looks like a rendering of @woogity's krox!

Bowser likes this.
  19. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Going to work on it, just came back from holidays (during which I tried with no success to finish the GS entry). I hope it doesn't take me too long :joyful::joyful:

Bowser likes this.
  20. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

While I'm sure no-one would believe me, things have been pretty manic in life despite my best efforts (venomous spiders, ongoing shoulder issues, etc, etc).

Anyways, to add to that mound of delights was an issue with my SD card, but I've managed to get round it.
    With that all said, here's those updates I promised far too long ago.

Starting off small, the first step I took as cutting back the shoulder guard bit by bit (trying to remove big chunks, results in missing bits of fingers).
    AUT_2223_zpstoqsuxou.jpg
    Next up is to start in the center of the piece, this one typically will be your largest (and therefore easiest scale), you build smaller and smaller scales out from this center one (and of course for scale sculpting suggestions or SSS! Please have a look in the tutorial section I did).

AUT_2224_zpswnr0j4ai.jpg

As you can see, it's better sticking it to the mini first (in roughly the place you need it) and then worrying about shaping it.
    AUT_2225_zpsa57r4udh.jpg

I tend to keep green stuff on my thumbnail as it's easier to keep control of, I can pull bits off as and when I need it and stick it to the model (great for doing scales and teeth).
    AUT_2226_zpsysumxfqr.jpg
    I tend to push towards the edges of the scale first, then pull it back towards the center.

AUT_2227_zpst4royevq.jpg
    Add more scales, smaller this time than the center one and slowly work outwards.
    Remember that areas with a lot of movement will have and need smaller scales (if any) due to the flexibility needed.
    AUT_2235_zps9qkddxhy.jpg

Welp, that's all for the moment, I'll give this a little time before I think about, or consider adding in another challenge (perhaps an August + September edition).

Oh and also as a final FYI, for maximum usage, apply the above rule several hundred times.... (see link below).
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/how-to-sculpt-lizardmen-wip-gor-rok-index-added.13652/page-16