1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Typing long replies, error?

Discussion in 'Ideas, problems and feedback' started by The Hunted, Oct 29, 2009.

1. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

I'm gonna post this topic here, because a lot of people roam around here and i was wondering if more people have this 'problem'.
    The problem what i'm talking about is this:
    When typing a long reply/topic (such as a battle report, an extended piece of advice etc.) when you get to the bottom of your text box (without scrolling) the screen goes mad.
    At this point I can never see my last line without scrolling down, and as i start typing again the textbox goes up and down with every letter I type. But i can never see what I have typed, unless i scroll down. Why/what is this problem? is it a setting error on my PC? do more people have it? I don't know!
    I hope it can be solved, as i cannot immagine I'm the only one (although this PC sucks.....)
    And people who also have it know what i'm talking about (even if my explanation is rather vague)

Sorry I interrupted your precious time...

The Hunted

2. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

I have the same issue, caused me to break up long posts into 2 parts, mostly for battle reports.

Sometimes I post a reply that isn't even long, and it simply doesn't show up. Normally I'd get really frustrated and stop posting, but I really like this forum, Lol.

Later...

3. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

It's a problem that I have stumbled into on some forums, mostly when I press a BBcode button(Smileys and such) not too often otherwise.

But I don't mind as I've gotten used to it and have been used to typing without looking exactly what I type since I first met a keyboard. :smug:

It's a bit annoying at times though...

Cheers!

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I'm going to shift this to Ideas, Problems and Feedback. It is more suited there.

Also, I will point out this thread where it has happened before. It was suspected to be a problem with (the horrible) internet explorer. Try using firefox instead. If you already use firefox and it is happening, maybe try a different browser and see if it still happens. I have never been able to produce the error on the forum to try to see what the problem is.

Strangely though I do have the problem in Facebook when I am typing on a wall. It doesn't expand the box as I type so eventually I can't see what I'm typing.

BTW, if you are making a really long post I very strongly suggest you type it in word or notepad first and copy it across. ;) So easy for an error to occur and the whole post to be lost, or to accidentally hit the wrong button and end up back on the main page or something. I have lost a few posts because a button on the side of my mouse (where my thumb is) goes back on a page, which is pretty annoying. Or if you can't be bothered typing it elsewhere, at least highlight it all and hit ctrl+c to copy it before pressing send in case something happens.

5. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Hmm... This has never happened to me, maybe I don't write long enough posts? :p

As for browsers, I agree IE stinks, I have never tried firefox but I swear by the Google Chrome browser. :meh:

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Happens to me too in IE, but not in Firefox. When I happen to be in internet explorer and I run into this problem, it's a good reminder that I should put what I'm typing into a text file first. We all know that sometimes the magic of the internet casts infernal gateway with irresistable force, and your entire post is whisked away into the realm of chaos.

7. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

i didn't take a look in the other thread....sorry for that :oops:

Well, the problem isn't crucial. But it's annoying nonetheless, I don't mind not looking to what i type. But it's darn handy if i can!
    And well, Notepad will get my attention some more ofthen then...:) FireFox and other Internet providers I don't know. Probably will get an angry sister for doing that (long story), and all kinds of discussions i'd rather pass ;)
    Anyway, problem solved: use notepad/close eyes when typing/type short but good replies.

The Hunted

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Firefox is worth the switch IMO, it is so much better and easier to use than IE plus it has a lot more security so its safer. Let your sister complain, how are you going to whip a wife/gf into shape if you let them get away with anything? :p

9. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

firefox isn't an internet provider, it's a browser. You can have it installed on the same machine as IE

10. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

you don't know my sister.. :walkingdead:
    I sure hope my gf/wife (still to come though) will be much MUCH MUCH sweeter...

Will try out FireFox then :)

The Hunted

11. strewart
    OldBlood

I am having the same problem now that the IT guys at uni have forced me to use IE instead of Firefox on my computer at uni. :S I'm pretty sure it is a problem with the browser not the forum so there might not be anything I can do about it. Will have a bit of a look though. Its quite annoying not being able to see what I type.

Edit: Of course the problem is only happening randomly so it is harder to test... It seems IE 8 has some backward compatibility issues with its scripting (surprise surprise) so until they change their scripting, or we change our scripting (bit beyond my programming and it is probably built into the engine anyway) the only way to fix it is to go to compatibility view, which is the button just to the right of the address bar that looks like a ripped piece of paper. Temporary solution.