1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Unit Building

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Foxcola, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Foxcola
    Jungle Swarm

Foxcola Member

Hi everyone;

I'm new to AoS, and building my Seraphon army, although I'm confused exactly how to build these units; example; in skinks pack comes 24 total minis, and a unit consists at most 10 skinks, one can be an alpha does that alpha use the same equipment as entire unit so javelins or does he use that club?

When building Saurus too they have a banner/drums to go along with the unit, when you add those minis to the unit I read somewhere when they attack they just use the weapons everybody else uses, so they get a spear/club, and when you add those units do they replace one of the ten normal Saurus, or increases the unit total to 12? ( believe when you do that according to rules you have to pay for next max amount in points so you're paying for 20 Saurus at that point?)

Currently to add some perspective (I understand there is a new tome coming, but I'm building them for what I consider the rule of cool haha); I have one start collecting box on the way & with Temple Guard. I currently have twenty skinks built with javelins, none of the alphas built (I want to build two of them into blowpipes for Warcry), one ripper squad of three built, and two tera/ripper squads of three unbuilt still), one troglodon, and one Basti Solar engine.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

yes the numbers that come in the boxes are a bit screwy it's a hold over from old fantasy. the alpha is armed with the same thing as the rest of the unit witch can be taken in ithere 10,20,30,or 40 skinks. the GHB has the max unit size but it is always a multiple of the min unit size.
    baners and drumbs can still attack as if they where armed with the same weapon as the rest of the unit and they do not cost additional points so take as many as you can you get 1 for every 10(1 drum 1 banner 8 other for a total of 10) most of the time but it will say on the warscroll.
    welcome to the jungle yell if you need more help

3. Foxcola
    Jungle Swarm

Foxcola Member

Awesome! Thank you very much for your knowledge, I appreciate it!

4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

The good, or bad, news is that you will want at least 5 boxes of Skinks. So those extra 4 per box will bump you from 100 to 120.

Aginor and Erta Wanderer like this.
  5. Foxcola
    Jungle Swarm

Foxcola Member

Wow, that's a lot of Skinks! Probably be a long while before I occur that many! I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to build my army at first, honestly just waiting for the new tome before I commit to a certain way to build, although my current goal is get at least one of everything (cept maybe Slanns they're too ugly imo lmao)

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

no.... it really isn't i have 260 skinks that's how many you need to play competitively at the moment
    probably a good idea to wait at the moment slann are mandatory for our army to do well.(and probably will be in the new book to)

LizardWizard and BobbyHobby like this.