1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Upcoming tournament, 1500pts

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Kadanga, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Hey guys,

I've got a friendly tournament that is a couple of weeks away and I wanted to get started in good time in case I need to paint up new models. So far I have decided on a shadowstrike but I am not certain on how to move on. I've made two different lists that I would love some input on.

List 1: Horde
    The basic idea was to get some rend into the army as well as area control, the starpriests buffs is great with the sunclaw. The downside I see is that the big warrior horde will get targeted and decimated, leaving little dakka apart from the Rippers.

Shadowstrike Starhost 170
    10x Skinks 60
    10x Skinks 60
    6x Rippers 280
    Starpriest 80 (Incandescent Retrices)

Sunclaw Starhost 130
    40x Warriors 360
    10x Warriors 100
    10x Warriors 100
    Sunblood 120 (General, Mighty War Leader, Blade of Realities)

Total: 1460pts

List 2: Magic

Based off what I read from the battle reps from @darren watson Kroak can be really strong. However, I am not sure on of how to get most out of him in a 1500pt game paired with a shadowstrike.

Shadowstrike Starhost 170

10x Skinks 60
    10x Skinks 60
    3x Rippers 140
    Starpriest 80

Lord Kroak 450
    Astrolith Bearer 160
    Bastiladon 280

Summoning Pool: 100pts
    Balewind Vortex 100

Total: 1500pts

I'd love to hear your input on this as I have never fielded a shadowstrike.

2. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Get a salamander to plug up that spare 40pts in the first list! I like that list though, use the teleport ability to try and stop your horde getting hurt before it does its crazy amount of damage, I'd also split the rippers into two units, sure you can't use the hiding in the clouds ability but that gives you two toads, they're fast movers anyway so hopefully won't take too much damage, a unit of 6 rippers is overkill in most cases, more manoeuvrability which is better for objective gameplays. Hmm, thinking about it, it might be ok if you can target two units close to each other and split attacks but I dunno.

I'm not sure the second list is legal because I'm pretty sure the battleline requirement is 3+ units.

3. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Thanks for the input! Im not sure using two squads of rippers since one of them would be outside the battallion. Hence one of 6 :)

In this tournament it is a valid list, they run 1500pts with 2 battleline as requirement.

4. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the only bonus the rippers get for being in the battalion is being able to drop them in one go and being able to strike from the skies, which is great, but I still think in a 1500pt game, you may well waste wounds if you don't target more than one unit with them and two frogs is a much better deterrent than one!

5. darren watson
    Kroxigor

darren watson Well-Known Member

That second list is what I'd use ha! Kroak is so much better now he can be teleported, just try to keep him within 28" of the Starpriest for his -1 to hit spell if you are playing a lot of shooting.. My first GHB2 game I lost Kroak 2nd turn because of this.. But with the list being so much better now losing him isn't the total wipe out it was before and still won comfortably. I'd keep the rippers together, they can be over kill, I try and make plans based on certainties. I'd rather over kill something and plan for that rather than under perform and have my main melee units crippled before they took something decent down with them. Nothing wrong with splitting them though, depends on how you play.
    The first list is much more forgiving deployment wise, you'll have to deploy spot on with the second one as you have very little to screen with.
    Have any Razordons? I'm currently in love with them, such value at 40pts.

6. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

I was just going to write that I prefer overkill over underkill when I got the message that a new post was made :)

I do not have any razordons(or sallys) but they can be ordered. Do you suggest dropping the basti for a razor-blob?

7. darren watson
    Kroxigor

I'm leaning towards them. They pump out more damage against hordes. Seeing how Kroak deals with characters, sniping them is less important.
    The extra skinks I think are a good bet to help out early, deploying dons 2.5" from the front of your skinks may put people off engaging you, or allow extra shots (I've been trying to keep my rerolls back for this so you have a 75% chance at extra shots).
    I'd drop the handlers, an extra don is better you could run 2 units of 3 then. Move them up early game and teleport Astrolith later game for rerolls to hit, making the Handlers redundant?
    In my first game I referred to earlier I used 14 dons... it was a lo of fun !

8. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

The points in my edit was misscalculated, so I removed it. The list below is correct. It looks good, but I wonder if it's worth dropping the unit of 3 razors in order to field 6 rippers instead of 3.

10x Skinks 60
    10x Skinks 60
    3x Rippers 140
    Starpriest 80
    Shadowstrike 170

Astrolith Bearer 160
    Lord Kroak 450
    Vortex 100
    3x Razordons 120
    2x Razordons 80
    10x Skinks 60

Cost 1480

9. Mune
    Skink

Mune Member

Maybe go for more rippers?
    In my opinion the main reason taking shadowstrike is the ripper ambush.
    Right now you pay more for the bat. then the unit it supports the most.

darren watson likes this.
  10. darren watson
    Kroxigor

6 rippers minimum to justify 170 points on strike. I'm with Mune on that for sure

11. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Thanks a lot guys!
    The final list will then be:

10x Skinks 60
    10x Skinks 60
    6x Rippers 280
    Starpriest 80 (Incandescent Retrices)
    Shadowstrike 170

Astrolith Bearer 160 (Prism of Amyntok)
    Lord Kroak 450 (General)
    Balewind Vortex 100
    2x Razordons 80
    10x Skinks 60

Cost 1500

I am really eager to try this out, I have a lot of painting to do now!

darren watson likes this.
  12. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Eager to hear how it fares!