1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Nail Polish on my Skinks

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Glockta, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Glockta
    Skink

Glockta Active Member

Hey all,

I used nail polish for the colour change effect, it goes from purple to green to gold on my Terradons.
    Terradons.png

On my Bastiladon it goes from Brown to Gold (change was hard to capture with lighting at time of photo)
    Bastiladon.png

I also painted some skinks, no nail polish.
    Skinks.png

Attached Files:

• 111.JPG
      111.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Nice idea!
    I also did some tests with my wife's acrylic nail colors. Haven't found the perfect thing yet but there are loads of special effect colors that could be used.

Crowsfoot and LizardWizard like this.
  3. Glockta
    Skink

Glockta Active Member

Regarding all the pigments in nail polish, I know right, who would of thought there was more money in women's beauty products than in model paints.So much to choose from and some crazy effects on offer in nail polish.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Can you post a real close up photo of the surfaces?
    I wonder how thick the paint is.

And I am also curious: did you base coat before the nail paint? Or only prime? Black primer I guess?

5. Glockta
    Skink

Glockta Active Member

So I mixed the paint (lacquer based,) about 70/30 with nail polish thinner, the acetone in the thinner will eat acrylic paint so there is no need to base coat. Both paints i used are 'ultracrome', the Bastiladon was about 2 coats, but the Terradons was about 5-6 coats. I was going to use an airbrush for the task (would need 50/50 mix) but I didn't want to stuff around masking or cleaning, so I just applied the paint with a brush.

close 1.png
    close 2.png

I learned painted with lacquer is very different than painting with acrylic, its harder to get an even coat, you have to push the paint around, if you have large flat surfaces (like the wings) it will take time to get complete coverage, or you can use an airbrush with a 0.5 needle, but have alot of thinner on hand for the cleaning.
    Due to the thick application of the paint I wouldn't use nail polish on highly detailed components, but for carapaces, shields etc I think its great, the 'popping' of the colour change turned out better than I had expected, I think I want to do a tyranid army next.