1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vassels of Sotek - A Lizardmen Plog

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lizardmen_Jeff, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Lizardmen_Jeff New Member

Hey everyone, still relatively new to the forums and wanted to create an army painting blog to help integrate into the local spawning pools. I've been playing Lizardmen ever since I started WH in 2007 and have never looked back! I paint and convert super sloooooooow so these pics are a culmination of a few years work. I have recently been able to start hobbying again after a very busy year of getting married, buying a house and having a kid, and wanted to get a thread going to try and stay motivated! Though I have some new stuff that needs pics I'm going to activate the "Way Back Machine" and start from the beginning which is a few years back. So with out further adieu here is my army themed after my favorite LM god, The Vassals of Sotek!

I'll start with some shots of my hobby lair! After moving into our new house, my wife graciously allowed me my own man cave and it was instantly turned into my WH sanctum! These pics are from when I first set it up, its changed a bit since then but the basic layout is the same

100_2945.jpg

100_2946.jpg

100_2947.jpg

100_2951.jpg

100_2959.jpg

100_2960.jpg

100_2961.jpg

100_2962.jpg

100_2963.jpg

100_2964.jpg

2. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Now for some actual army stuff! First up is my terradon conversion, I really didnt like the old 8th ed models and had been thinking of a way to make a unique unit for quite some time. After much thought, and trial and error, I came up with this concept! I really like the way it turned out so made a unit of them (will be pictured later in the thread)!

100_2841.jpg

The feathers are clipped from the Saurus standards, needless to say I have a lot of standards waiting to be used for something...
    100_2853.jpg

100_2855.jpg

100_2861.jpg

100_2865.jpg

100_2866.jpg

100_2867.jpg

100_2868.jpg

100_2869.jpg

100_2870.jpg

100_2871.jpg

Really happy with the way this little bugger turned out! The unit is halfway painted now but I dont want to have to organize my photobucket so its all going to be chronological ;)

3. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Next up is a conversion I thought of way back before 8th came even came out! Stegs were really awesome in 7th (especially when only empire had d6 wound cannons!) which is when i conceived this beast. I havnt played much w stegs since 7th (dont really fit my playstyle atm), but I just couldnt get this idea out of my head so went ahead and built it. Im starting to write monsters back into my lists so I'm sure he will have a nice new home in my deployment area when hes finished!

100_0710.jpg

100_0712.jpg

100_0713.jpg

100_0715.jpg

100_0718.jpg

100_0722.jpg

100_0708_redo.jpg

I've actually done quite a bit more work on this guy but havnt taken many pics, once this thread catches up with my current hobby I'll get some updated pics

Captaniser likes this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Very unique Terradon conversion Jeff, :meh:
    A few of those maps look verry familiar
    I have the Skyrim map next to my PC,
    that green map looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Oh yea I noticed the most imporrtant part of a father man cave...
    The Baby Gate. :D

Ps. let me know if you ever want a custom Lustrian Avatar.

Pps. Awesome Lustrian Chariot. o_O (Wonder if it should have skids instead of wheeels)

Captaniser and PhoenixTheCat like this.
  5. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

I'm semi-jealous of your man-cave dude! (you need a larger desk though)

Awesome looking conversion too, there will never be a GW cast with feathers like that, looking forward to see it completed!

Captaniser likes this.
  6. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Here is my Temple Guard unit w converted Slann. LM have a problem w a lack of ornate centerpiece units so i decided to create my own!

100_0922.jpg

100_0923.jpg

100_0930.jpg

This is one of my converted standards for the army, based on the splash page for the 7th ed book. The guy holding it is the limited edition standard bearer.
    100_0933.jpg

I really liked the way the TG standards looked in the unit so i add two mid ranks
    100_0934.jpg

As to not inundate the thread right off the bat I'm going to stop here for now. Hope you guys like my stuff and look forward to hearing any constructive criticisms / comments you might have! :smug:

Captaniser and Bracnos like this.
  7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Woah.... :jawdrop:
    Quetzequatil Slann...
    Awesomeness! :smug:

Captaniser likes this.
  8. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Lol yeah, the baby gate is a must!!! The green map is a WD poster from a while ago, one of my friends gave it to me after we played a campaign w the map.

I would LOVE a custom avatar! not sure what it would be but if you have any ideas I'm wide open for suggestions!

I was actually thinking of skids before I went with wheels but thought, "Man that thing would catch on all kinds of vines and undergrowth!" And no, the Ratagast sled is not an acceptable argument! :D

Captaniser likes this.
  9. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Thanks! The desk is actually quite large but I do find the space fills up quick. The feathers were soooo much of a pain, but worth it in the end I think, no way I could have greenstuffed those!

Captaniser likes this.
  10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Pssst, Hey Jeff go check the Avatar thread. ;)

Captaniser likes this.
  11. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Done and done, thanks man!!! :walkingdead:

12. Lord Bufo
    Saurus

Lord Bufo New Member

Wow...just wow. I'm a conversion fanboy and I'm sitting here 2 inches from my screen practically drooling looking at your models! Consider me subscribed, eagerly anticipating the painted version!

13. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Some great models!

A little off-topic, how do you like your Battlefoam bag/trays? Been thinking about getting one for a long time.

14. GorisTheKing
    Jungle Swarm

GorisTheKing New Member

That flying skink is really cool, great pose too.

15. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Thanks guys, glad you like em! I really enjoy doing conversion work, I'm wholly of the opinion that a good conversion will hide my mediocre paint job so i generally spend more time on that! :smug: I'm currently working on doing some light conversion work on old metal cold ones for my scar-vets. I'm going with a skink theme to the army so will be using skink character models on them as opposed to the actual vet model. I like the GW model well enough but it is a bit static and there are tons of details to pick out I'm almost finished w one of them, originally I was just going to mount them on the cold one but after looking at it for a bit it was just too...plain... I like the idea of a saddle but the pose on the model I'm using isnt conducive to sitting in on so I green stuffed a skaven hide for him to sit on :bored: Its coming along quite nicely and I only have a little more work to do before i base coat it! My camera is on the fritz, and i think it jsut needs a new battery, so hopefully ill actually have NEW pictures to post soon!

@Silverbolt
    There is NO substitute!!! Battlefoam is top notch gear and I am more than 100% satisfied! It is a bit more expensive but well worth the cost.

16. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Its a new week so time for another update! Just don't expect those weekly updates once i get caught up! Next up is my second Skinkadon conversion, since the first one was leaping off of something i wanted this one to be a little more static. Think he turned out quite nicely and his pose is key to making the whole unit rank up, though you wont see those pics quite yet...

100_2875.jpg

100_2876.jpg

100_2877.jpg

100_2878.jpg

100_2885.jpg

100_2886.jpg

100_2887.jpg

100_2888.jpg

Another green stuff cloak for some more feathers!
    100_2889.jpg

100_2891.jpg

100_2892.jpg

100_2893.jpg

And on the original I added a little flavor basing, got some more for the whole unit but that wont go on till the very end
    100_2966.jpg

100_2965.jpg

Anywho, thats all the pic updates for now. Spent another weekend working on more conversions but i seem to have misplaced my camera so i wont be able to take progress pics... :shamefullyembarrased: Steadily making progress though and am working towards getting this army up to speed for my 2400 adepticon list. Doing pretty good at the moment, all i need now is to paint my basti and at least one of my vets to have everything i need, it just wont all be the same theme. The basti is intimidating me atm as I am a slow painter and thatll be a big project but if i can get it to a 3 color min than itll be all good!

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

hmmm I have been thinking,
    maybe give them a potion on a belt
    to represent the drop rocks rule. :shifty:

18. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Yeah I had thought the same thing when making them and actually there is a skull necklace on the first one, just cant see it! Thats the main reason I just kept them as is, you couldnt even see the details as they were covered up by the rest of the model (mainly the cloak). I figured, its a conversion and a certain amount of abstract inturpretation is needed reguardless, so try and keep it simple. And if anyone complains I'll jsut say he plucks magic feathers and they turn to stone :smug:

19. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Since I've mostly posted conversion work, now I'm gonna post some pics of my foot sloggers! Here are my temple guard with the army color scheme, the skin, spines and scales are done but the rest of the details are still a little rough. I've been making some more headway with these guys lately and am inching my way closer to having the unit finished! I FINALLY found my camera but still need a new battery which is a non-essential $cost$ atm so its gotta wait.

100_2973.jpg

100_2982.jpg

100_2983.jpg

100_2984.jpg

100_2985.jpg

Using this lil beefcake as my TG unit champ, he shows the paint scheme off a little better than the other models. I can't impart enough just how much LM stuff I have, for this army I decided to pull out all the stops and try and use everything I can to make this army as awesome as possible, so youll see quite a few character models being used as command or for other non-character models!
    100_3003.jpg

100_3005.jpg

100_3006.jpg

100_3007.jpg

The command groups for the Templge Guard and Saurus have standards inspired from the splash pages of the previous books

100_3009.jpg
    100_3010.jpg

This is the le standard bearer from the army box of ages past
    100_3011.jpg
    100_3012.jpg

Here is the command group I'm paiting up for my old skool saurus, for some reason I jsut really like the clunkly old feel of those models so painted up that unit first instead of the new guys. The BSB model GW came out wiht a while back shares that "dim whitted lizard" feel so I tuck him in this command as the standard bearer.

100_2991.jpg

Here are the warriors, some of these pics are a little fuzzy, camera wouldn't cooperate at the time
    100_3012-1.jpg

100_3014.jpg

100_3016.jpg

100_3019.jpg

100_3025.jpg

100_3031.jpg

Well thats it for now, hope you enjoy! Now that I've found the ole camera as soon as i get a new bat I'll have some fresh stuff to post! Good thing too as I'm starting to run short on archive pics! :D

...and just for good measure, a trex being exploded
    :beaver:

20. Cragglehatch
    Skink

Cragglehatch New Member

Wow; I'm THAT guy who'd be way too skittish to take a hobby knife to any of these models to do conversions, but yours look absolutely incredible, and so inspired!

That Quetzalcoatl flying snake Slann is my favourite thing. <3

And as others have already pointed out, you have one sweet mancave. :p