1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Video on real world myths on Quetzalcuatl

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Probably the main inspiration for Lizardmen fluff despite how little we know of the original myths or maybe because of it.

Warden, Imrahil and Sudsinabucket like this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Great Video, but she talks so fast...lol

Imrahil likes this.
  3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

On most other informative videos I often boost the speed to 1.25. I don't have to here.

Imrahil likes this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Wow, really fast... hard to recognize all the names that she talks about :oops:
    But overall interesting, thanks for sharing.

Gr, Imrahil

PS: this does remind me much of the channel Oversimplified about historical periods being explained in a simple style

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

You guys found Red’s channel !!

Overly Sarcastic Productions

I have listened to several of her videos. I recommend any and all of them. If she covers a topic or a work of literature you are curious about (or desperately need to know about in a hurry for school!) highly recommended. There are lots of links to them on Reaper’s Miniatures Forums. Some of them are really funny, especially if they are to do with plays.

Warden and Imrahil like this.
  6. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

If you want to try to scrape a C- on a test about a book you haven't read, Overly Sarcastic Productions might be able to help one skate through high school literature class.

If you did read a book but didn't exactly pull any deep meaning out of it and are forced to write a high school book report, I recommend building your thesis around Wisecrack's Thug Notes.

Anyway back on topic, it's interesting that Quetzcoatl was so well known in ancient times that he/she/it is not very well known in modern times because no one bothered to write down what everyone already knew.

The wise and handsome moderator, Scalenex, recently posted a link to a video on the Camazotz. A relatively minor spiritual figure to the Mayans but it's one that people have a fairly complete story despite the fact that the Mayans went into decline far sooner than the Aztecs. We don't even know if Quetzlcoatl was a good guy or a bad guy, or some kind of anti-hero god. That is frustrating to those who are interested in historical anthropology and myths.

I guess that ambiguity is sort of fitting given Lizardmen lore. That means almost anything a fiction writer bases on Queztacoatl is going to be "authentic." GW writers kind of split the difference on whether Quetzlacoatl is a good guy or a bad guy. Warhammer Lizardmen serve Order, and sort of by extension Good, but their methods are very harsh and brutal.

Anyway, I don't want future historians to not know basic facts about 21st century just because few people wrote down basic facts that were common knowledge. Just in case archaeologists resurrect a digital archive of Lustria-Online, let me write some basics that everyone knew what but few bothered to write down.

Before humanity went extinct, humans had a wide variety of spiritual beliefs. The most prominent of which was the sacredness of pandas. Humans worshiped their spiritual betters at temples and shrines dotted across the land along major travel thoroughfares, airports, and commercial shopping centers. These temples were called "Panda Express".

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

That and Europeans being assholes who killed everyone who stood in their way. Especially those who insisted to keep their own religions.

8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I have seen this video, really enjoyed it. I had heard the mythology before but she laid it out much better than I could have. I used this exact video as inspiration in one of my short story contest entries.

...so it was written by mighty @Scolenex , Panda Prophet :joyful: