1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Walk between worlds on fleeing unit?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by PetesDad, Oct 25, 2014.

1. PetesDad
    Jungle Swarm

PetesDad New Member

So my saurus block lost combat by 1 and promptly rolled 17 for their cold-blooded leadership and fled.
    After rolling 17 next turn to rally (!) I wanted to cast Walk between worlds on them to get them out of
    charge arcs until they came to their senses. The other player insisted I could not cast this on a fleeing unit. I don't see any rule on pg 31 of the BRB that supports that. I let it slide and the saurus were destroyed.
    So was I correct?
    thanks.

2. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

As is always the case I don't think there's a hard and fast piece of text that says "this will happen".
    WBW does says the target unit "can immediately move up to 10" as if it were the Remaining Moves sub-phase".
    Which one would take to mean that all the rules that apply in that phase apply here.
    A fleeing unit cannot take any action until it has rallied other then continuing to flee.
    I think you friend is right, but I'd be happy if anybody wants to prove me wrong

3. PetesDad
    Jungle Swarm

PetesDad New Member

Thanks for the reply. The Remaining Moves wording on the card is the logic that was used. To me that just meant they cannot charge, and whatever other restrictions apply, like reforming, etc. But I would like a definitive answer. I can't be the first person to want to move a unit out of harms way...

4. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

I think madrck explained it very well.

Flee-ers dont move in the remaining moves phase so also not with the spell

5. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

We've generally played it as an "additional flee" move.

So you can still force a 10" move... But you can't choose the direction.

After all, fleeing can be done multiple times already, if mulitple units chain-charge it. So why not? The drawback is pretty damn bad as well, because 10" closer to the board edge can be pretty bad, if they suddenly flee off the board.

6. PetesDad
    Jungle Swarm

PetesDad New Member

Per the BRB pg 26, units that rallied, charged, fled, are in combat,or had a compulsory move cannot move in Remaining Moves. So Walk between worlds cannot be cast on them also, yes? Only units which did not move or moved normally are be targets?
    Sorry if it seems I am beating this to death, just getting back into WHFB.

7. hardyworld
    Kroxigor

hardyworld Active Member

You can target a fleeing unit with Walk Between Worlds, but it will have no effect on the unit because units that are fleeing cannot move in a Remaining Moves sub-phase. However, if the unit had rallied that turn and subsequently not moved in the Remaining Moves sub-phase (because the rules restrict movement of units who rallied that phase) it can be targeted and affected by Walk Between Worlds because the movement occurs in the Magic Phase and the restrictions on moving a rallied unit in a Remaining Moves sub-phase only applies during the current Movement Phase (not turn).

The effects of Walk Between Worlds allows a unit to immediately move in the Magic Phase "as if it were the Remaining Moves sub-phase" (not as if it were the previous Movement Phase's Remaining Moves sub-phase).