1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War elephants for SoM.

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Mister Blak, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Mister Blak
    Skink

Mister Blak New Member

I recently bought the SoM book, and have decided that the chaos war mammoth has possibly the coolest rules I've ever seen.

There are two problems though:

1. Why would lizzies have a mammoth?
    2. AAAAAAAAAAARGH! THE COST! IT HURTS MY BRAIN!

My solution to both is to buy a LoTR mumak, and say it is a giant elephant from the southlands.
    However I have never seen a mumak model in the real world, so my questions are:

1. Can they be built without the canopy?
    2. Are they of an appropriate size?
    3. Would this idea look ok? ( I want it to be cooler that just a proxy.)
    4. How much is a mumak? ( I can probably find that out by myself)
    5. Is this a good idea? ( appearance-wise and gameplay-wise, I have obviously never fielded a chaos mammoth before.)

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The Mumak is about the same size as a chaos war mammoth, possibly a little taller. It would work pretty well as a sub, and yes it can be built without the top.

As for justifying it in your LM army, thats not what SoM is about. :p You like it, include it. A Slann could have taken control of it or captured one or something.

3. Mister Blak
    Skink

Mister Blak New Member

Thanks for that. I've never seen a real (model) mumak, so I had no idea of the scale, and I don't want to go anywhere near the forge.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I can tell you it is a huge model. Have a look at the photos of it on the GW website, the guys on top in the howdah look very small compared to the mumak. It will make the stegadon look small.

5. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

I dont understand why you would go for a mammoth or elephant model where you could proxy with a dinosaur there are a lot of good looking museum models out there that could be converted at a fraction of the cost just use the same rules. I know anything I could imagine would pale against that awsome thunder lizard of strategiccommand but that is more of lizardman holy relic than a gamming peice. But I would love to see more large dinosors on the gamming table.
    Stu

6. Mister Blak
    Skink

Mister Blak New Member

Thanks redeyefrog, but I think I need a mumak for this. I already have plans for using dinosaur models.

On a happy note, I've tested the CWM's rules using an empty base, and it kicked arachnarok ass :), so I'll probably be getting one at some point.

FEAR ME AND MY MAMMOTH OF DOOM!