1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

warm greetings from the middle of the mediterranean

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Aranigej, May 5, 2009.

?

Which Lore of Magic should the Slann never leave home without?

1. Lore of Fire

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Lore of Metal

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Lore of Shadow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lore of Beasts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lore of Heavens

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Lore of Light

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lore of Life

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Lore of Death

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum so I would like to start off with a quick introduction. I am a 23 year old student from the island of malta. I was introduced to the warhammer hobby in 1998 and I have been hooked ever since! Unfortunately, I could not keep very active in the hobby for the last couple of years, but seeing as I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel (I should be finishing university next year), I wanted to come back to that which has been an important part of me for half of my life.

The Lizardmen were my first (and still my favourite) army. I absolutely love their history, culture, background, models, variety in game play and painting options. Prior to the publication of the latest version of the rules (sadly that's about how long I've been out of the scene), I used to field a strong all skink southlands army which won me many a tournament (including one where the prize was a rulebook signed by all the guys at GW :D). Seeing as the new lizardmen book is out, I want to try a completely different approach than the one I was previously using (also, and this is true, moving over a hundred skink skirmishers every turn gives you a MASSIVE headache).

From my first overview of the book, I am inclined to opt for a couple of engines and perhaps a slann, temple guards and a couple of kroxs for good measure as the bulk of my army. Any suggestions on what works and what doesn't in the current edition?

Also, in the past I always used the lore of heavens. But seeing as the second sign of amul has been relegated to the second place and the other spells are not as powerful as I remember them, is this still the best option for a slann or should I choose another lore? (see poll)

Hope to hear from you,

Aranigej

P.S. for those of you into fluff - my nick 'Aranigej' is the name of my skink chief with cloak of feathers. It is an amalgation of 2 maltese words 'arani' (see me) and 'gej' [roughly pronounced 'jey'] (coming) which loosely translate into 'HERE I COME!' :bored: Great fun this guy... but that's a story for another time!

Cheers!

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Greetings, welcome to the forum!

First of all, there is a rather large thread going about what spells are best for the Slann. You can find the discussion here:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1177

It is in the tactics section. Generally accepted that in the current edition, heavens isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be. Spell selection is a combination of personal choice and what you are fighting. If you prefer mostly offensive stuff, fire and death. If you are fighting chaos, metal. There is more detail in the thread.

You will find that your points in 2k get eaten up very quickly if you take a couple of engines, a Slann and some Temple Guard. Definitely play around with a few lists, one engine may be enough plus a skink on foot to support the Slann's spells. If you give the foot skink the cloak of feathers he can get into very nice positions for the purpose of channeling magic missiles. :)

Enjoy the forum!

3. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Hi strewart,

thanks for the welcome and for the link re. magic.

Aranigej

4. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

5. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Thanks for the welcome!

6. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Here are a few of my painted models.

The first is the old version of the Slann. I am quite fond of this model since it was one of the first that I actually finished painting! On looking at it now I think it deserves some touching up. I'm also thinking on removing the current base and fitting it on a 50mmx50mm base so I can use it in games.

P5070057.jpg

P5070059.jpg

Here are 2 units of saurus, 1 with Hand Weapons and the other with converted Spears:

P5070064.jpg

P5070065.jpg

Next are 2 old Salamanders (or Knight Turrets as they were affectionately called... 24" D6 Str 4 no AS... the good old days)

P5070060.jpg

And these are the new salamanders that I painted a couple of years back.

P5070062.jpg

P5070063.jpg

7. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

greetings..... and nice pictures here

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow I think I actually like the old salamander models better than the new ones... And those custom spears look great!

Might I suggest you start posting new things in new threads in other parts of the forum? It will get seen by a lot more people out there. Put those pics in a new thread in the painting forum and it will get more responses. ;)

9. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

you should use that slaan in games...... try keeping the temple guard under him though cause that is jsut badass, i was thinking of doing that to the new edition slaan, but I am too cheap and lazy too

10. strewart
    OldBlood

If you wanted to very easily make him playable, just plonk him (small bases and all) on the correct large (50mm?) base and go from there. I am sure you could base it up to make the little mounds under the TG look realistic. Or else you could file down the bottom of the bases so they are a bit more flat before sticking it on a big base. Or even cut holes in the big base to sink him into.. Much easier than trying to change those bases and risking the whole thing falling apart.

11. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Thanks for the comments!

@ strewart - I thought of doing that but the problem is that as is the frontage is more than 50mm so it won't fit on the 50x50. If I remember correctly, the TG are attached to a pole which is in turn attached to the palanquin. So if I remove the pole from the palanquin I can than remove the bases without messing up the upper parts of the model. I will then simply attach the pole back when I'm done :)

@Revered_Guardian - when you say keep the TG under him, do you mean repositioning them so that they are directly beneath the palanquin?

I will try and take more pics of my few painted models and start a new thread with my painted works. Hopefully it will give me an incentive to get on with my painting :)

Aranigej