1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS What makes the EotG so good?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by mould2k, Apr 4, 2019.

1. mould2k
    Jungle Swarm

mould2k New Member

Hello all,

I am just starting to dip my toe in to AoS (have a 3k army on square bases I still regularly use for 8th ed Fantasy) and am beginning to work out what units are good in AoS.

I can see how ripperdactyls and razordons are nasty, they would definitely fit in my armies for AoS...if I had any! I'm going to grab some. But I am struggling to see exactly what makes the Engine so good?

The free summon looks great, especially if you can get some rippers up t1 (if I had some lol) but that feels like an unlikely result, since you need a 14 on 3d6. The mortal wound beam looks good but you aren't going to roll that all the time. The most likely result on 3d6 is the aoe mortal wound ability but that relies on you being dangerously close.

What am I missing?

2. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

With a Slann within 10" you roll 4d6 and pick the dice you want to use, they are relatively cheap, provide bonuses for skinks, and the chance for double attacks and move is pretty decent. the sheer volume of summons you can pump out with them (for free) is what makes them good. especially as you yourself noted Rippers and dactyls are nasty... and they are on the list that the EoTG can summon.

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yep, the thing is that you can increase the odds for a good result to make it a lot more reliable.

4. Dr Kaos
    Saurus

Dr Kaos Member

With a Slann nearby you have a bit over 30% chance to roll 14-17.

5. mould2k
    Jungle Swarm

mould2k New Member

Ahhh I had completely overlooked the rule about being within 10" of a slann. Makes much more sense now how much control you can get out of it.

Thanks all.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

...and if you are in need to have your EotG in melee, it's not bad. It's a toned down steggy.

And it's the key unit of thunderquake starhost, which is one of our best battalions

7. Dr Kaos
    Saurus

Dr Kaos Member

Fun fact: with the Slann close by the Engine have only 105 of 1296 combinations that won't give a result of 6-9 or 14-17.

Shanobi, Nart, TrevBot and 3 others like this.
  8. Axquirix
    Cold One

Axquirix Active Member

On the keeping-it-near-the-Slann note, it's quite a big beast (both base size and line-of-sight blocking) that's quite tough, can dish out some hurt in melee, can heal itself (and gets more likely to the more damage it takes), can heal the Slann, can summon 20 skinks as additional fodder, and can be summoned back in by the Slann for only 18 points. They make an ideal bodyguard unit for him, especially one that's part of a Thunderquake due to the additional healing. I'm aiming towards two in a V shape, with the Slann in one corner of the board.

Incidentally, they have the HERO keyword, which means they can take relics as well.