1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help What paint washes do you use?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Warden, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

So I have been using an old GW "ink" called chestnut ink for years now. Back when we bought it, the little jar cost only $2.49. I have been using it as a wash for Caucasian skin, it still works pretty well and I have enough for probably all light-skinned miniatures I will ever paint:

warden201803_chesnut ink.jpg

The Liquitex (color: transparent burnt sienna) is what I use for bases. By mixing this paint together with standard brown and glossy black from apple barrel, I have been able to produce a nice muddy-effect on my jungle bases.

But I am curious what the paint experts out there use for "inks" or "washes" to add a layer of color to the deep recesses of the models. I have heard a "green wash" would be good for ork skin for example, and I am also looking for some kind of "red wash" and "blue wash" for my future samurai armor project I have in the wings. An actual replacement for chestnut ink would also be helpful if I ever run out, so if anyone has a "brown wash" please let me know.

If you have a certain recipe for your washes, or if you have a specific GW/other company ink/wash product, please let me know (links please!).

Your advice is appreciated! :vulcan:

Captaniser and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I use GW shades and they are quite good but you could get away with having 4 or 5 namely,

Seraphim Sepia - brown
    Druchii Violet - purple/red
    Drakenhoff nightshade - blue
    Biel tan - green
    Casandora - yellow

The rest are just a variation of colours, the most useful one I find is Seraphim Sepia.

Captaniser, Warden and n810 like this.
  3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I have about 1/2 a pint left of my huge bottle of India ink.
    I have used this with everything over the years.

Also I still have a set of the original GW "Washes".
    I find these quite good, be Shure the shake them up before use though.
    I recently picked up a reaper wash similar to chestnut ink.
    I find it a bit more concentrated the GW washes but less than pure ink.

Ps. check out "Future" floor wax, it's basically pure acrylic medium good for turning paint into washes.

Captaniser, Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I mainly use Army Painter inks as they are a lot cheaper than GW (at least where I live) and come in dropper bottles.

Soft tone is a nice sepia wash, it has many uses. I use it for shading metal parts but also for Skeleton bone or whenever something looks too clean.
    Strong tone is a brown wash, very similar to GW Agrax Earthshade
    Dark tone is similar to Nuln Oil, a black wash

There is also a flesh wash but I haven't used that one yet, as I still have the GW one.

And then there are the color washes.
    Blue, Purple, Green, Camo (more yellowish green) and red.

I have used all of them for my Lizards and I recommend having at least those basic tones available at all times.

Captaniser, Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I really appreciate the responses! I will be looking into all of these.

@n810 what company are you getting the India Ink from?

@Aginor I am guessing these are the Army Painter ink tones you were talking about? Don't seem too expensive at all.

Captaniser likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yes, those are the ones.
    I just don't know how the price for those is in other regions of the world. They are made in Denmark so in Europe their price is very reasonable. Hobbyists in North America will probably have some more shipping cost.

Oooh and I just noticed they have added some more shades since I last checked! Tempting...

Captaniser and Warden like this.
  7. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I use GW washes/shades... because I have them... I also have some from Vallejo but prefer to use GW cause the Vallejo stuff dries quite quickly (well, they are labeled as quick drying so one could expect that) and tends to leave a not s nice finish if not applied right... also I sometimes mix my own by adding thinner and glaze medium to normal paint... with varying success...

Captaniser and Warden like this.
  8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

@Warden
    I'm not gonna say it an old bottle ... but it was made in west Germany. :oldman:

9. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Well... me, too... and I'm NOT old... if you ask my wife I didn't even reach adulthood...;)

Captaniser, Warden and Aginor like this.
  10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice! :oldman::D

Captaniser likes this.
  11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I mainly have switched to vallejo, but still use my citadel paints. I've been meaning to pick up a couple of coat d'arms to replicate my old "desert cloth" mixture.

the citadel technical paints, specifically the blood one and the verdegris, are awesome

Captaniser likes this.