1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHats best with imp allys?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Jabru, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Jabru
    Skink

Jabru New Member

Hey i recently bought a space marine biker army and have been having range problems in 2000 points. Thus I was going to take imperial guard allys for some heavy weapon teams and a vehicle, my question is what imp guard veicle is best i was thinking the basilisk or the missle rack tank with limited ammo any imput>?

2. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

The issue your going to have is that artillery will be a liability as your main army will get to grips with your opponent and then your basilisks will be sat twiddling their thumbs, or worse, missing and blowing the holy moley outta your points expensive bikes.....

Try command squad kitted out for short range in a chimera, two vet squads with demo charges in chimeras, then 2xbanehound1xdevildog as your fast attack slot, this will soften up them big meaty swarms and has a nice hidden MELTA in it, heavy support you could try the griffon, which a fast, mobile little artillery tank which can re roll scatter dice, or try 2xdemolisher1xpunisher leman russ tanks, which are tough, effective at mid/short range and can deal a LOT of hurt, if your hq is Usarker E Creed they can even outflank your opponent....

3. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

What's the range of problems?
    I've found that extra tank hunting is done really well by legion of the damned. Melta and multi melta, along with combi melta, all of which is relentless, gives you plenty of no cover tank killing arriving via deep strike.

I've also been playing around with Storm Raven + 3 Dev Centurions + cheap dread. When the Raven arrives, I fly on 36", and deep strike out the back. With grav cannons and hurricane bolters, they tear up tanks, heavy armor, and pack 8 to 11 shots each if targeting mobs.

From playing IG, the only good allies seem to be Vendettas. Any other role can be better covered by marine choices. You don't get more cost effective Artillery than the indirect firing thunderfire cannon.

4. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

It's true sm can do it better, if just do it in quantity! Thing is a bike f or e will have limited range, but to buy the allies you have to buy the hq and a troops just to get that big gun, can those new dangled centurions do it?

5. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

15 shots that wound against the targets armor save (with re-rolls) followed by 9 or 18 twin-linked bolter shots. It's ~7 or 8 unsaved wounds vs TEQ, and 11-12 unsaved wounds vs MEQ. GEQ are looking at ~16 wounds in the open, ~11 in cover.
    Worst target is Orks, where you "only" get 10-11 kills.
    Against any vehicle in the game, it's ~3 immobilize results. That pretty much neuters anything.

Yeah, the Centurions get it done.
    The key is the deep strike out of the Storm Raven. With 36" of zoom, you get enough space to land where the limited 24" range isn't crippling.

-Matt