1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS When fluff and crunch don't match

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Killer Angel, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

In the Serahon Battletome (translating from my italian book, so words may not be exactly the same), in the fluff page regarding Skink Priests and Seers, it says: "the Starseers particularly powerful can leave their Lord, while mantaining a part of its power. Seraphons' armies can be led by these creatures".
    We're talking about Tetto, so it makes sense.
    ...then why Starseers don't have their own command ability?

What do you think of it?

Have you noticed similar incongruencies?

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I actually read that as the skink being a "vassal" for the Lord, I think if a starseer had a command ability it would make him too strong, hell he is great now.

Bainbow likes this.
  3. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

My entire entry into Lizardmen cartooning, then written parody, then story telling was because the fluff and crunch from 7th and 8th edition were obviously incongruous.

Frankly, the acceptance of utter nonsense is what binds us together. If it weren't for this we wouldn't be able to share the joy of Warhammer. Or cricket, for that matter.

Slanputin likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Ah yes. .. for a starter, the magic described in fluff, is of some orders of magnitude greater than the one you have in actual games. And the effective combat ability of some heroes, doesn't hold a candle to their recorded feats. ..

5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

What about Saurus warriors? Cold blooded and bred for battle alone. Flee off the table on turn two without landing a single blow on the (higher initiative) enemy.

The options were laugh or cry.

I chose the former.

tom ndege likes this.
  6. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

If you take the fluff in consideration every army in the game would be invincible AND every single hero would be able to stand against a whole invincible army on his own! Read what's said about the kroxigors! It seems like no chaos lord could stand against a single one of them...
    Bob's example is better! :'(

7. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Because while they are good tacticians and are basically the only Seraphon capable of sustaining an army without a Slann, tactical ability and leadership are two different things. That's why they can give you more general rerolls than any other unit in the game including Kroak who has a weaker version of their power, but they're not exactly leader material in the same vein as the godly Slann or millennia-of-combat bloodthirsty Saurus. It's why the tactician in Fire Emblem Awakening isn't also the general despite being the one to make up all of the plans.

Killer Angel likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Ah, that at least makes sense.
    I knew i can count on you. .. ;)

Bainbow likes this.