1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Where do I find the cost of items?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by StinkySkinky, Apr 26, 2017.

1. StinkySkinky
    Saurus

StinkySkinky Active Member

I've purchased the Generals handbook & and the Grand alliance order book. For example on the skink priest it mentions a skink priest wearing priestly trappings buffs its celestial rights, I'd assume this would cost extra points?

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Nope, costs the same whether youtake it or not. Same with stegadon with alpha, banners, musicians, and leaders in units. No additional cost.

StinkySkinky and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. StinkySkinky
    Saurus

StinkySkinky Active Member

Is there a case when you would not take these? Thanks for the reply :)

Bowser likes this.
  4. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

I'd actually argue the opposite considering the wording in the description Screenshot_20170426-133339.png The way they describe it as others makes me think you can only take one or the other. I think this is probably to add a bit of balance as well as justify the two different skink priest models.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You're correct, but there is still no cost associated to it.
    You may prefer the cloak of feathers to the trappings, or you may have an older model that doesn't seem to fit the description would be the only reason I can see for not taking the upgrades.

6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

@DeadlyRecluse : Yeah, those are mutually exclusive, but for the Stegadon it seems to be optional to carry a Skink Alpha to battle, without any disadvantages attached to it. There is literally no reason except style to not bring a Skink Alpha. Same for leaders, banners and musicians in groups of Warriors for example since those can fight normally.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yep with Warriors, Guards and Knights I would say it is essential to include a banner bearer and musician in each unit.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yea it's kind of stupid... especially given that it's easy enough to think of match-ups where the extra items would be worth considerably less than having cheaper units. But all the items are calculated in the base costs which occasionally leads to some odd things. I'd wish they'd done that differently.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Exactly, Musician = March 10in yes please

Bowser likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

And then you play a match where you're only supposed to hold an objective and don't care about marching and would rather trade in the musician for an extra unit of stuff :p

To be honest, I'm not sure why they didn't make the abilities have their seperate points. Or similarly with abilities that trigger after getting X models in a unit. 4 units of 10 saurus warriors is just as expensive as 1 of 40, but that 1 of 40 is vastly more powerfull as it's horde ability triggers. I do hope they fix someo f that in the next general's book.

Bowser likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

And if they finally made the points public and printed them on the warscrolls it would be even easier.
    Every warscroll would have the basic points in the upper right corner or so, and an ability costing extra points would have them in red or so right next to its name, saying (+20pts) or so.

So a Stegadon would have a base cost of 220 and you have the option to spend 40 more and get the Skink Alpha on top.
    A group os Saurus Warriors without musician and banners: 80 points. Each banner is 10 extra, each musician is 10 extra.

A Greenskinz Orruk Warboss would be 120, adding a boar for him to ride on would add 20 points.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Some war scrolls do have the points cost on them but they are few and fair between atm.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I'd also like to see scaling cost for creater units sizes.. especially for horde mechanics, fielding 10 warriors is 80 points, fielding 20 is 170 fielding 30 is 270 fielding 40 is 380. Instead of just a 100 for each increment... would allow for a tradeoff between larger or many units.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Wow, really? Haven't seen any of them yet.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

In the Spire of Dawn set the booklet has the cost and matched play profiles for every unit included.

Bowser likes this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Ah ok thx.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Those aelven models are also new and not in th generals book

Bowser likes this.
  18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah, you need the azyr app, or need to rely on third party sources such as scrollbuilder.com to get access to the points. But then again this has been a profitable way of doing things, so I doubt it will change any time soon.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Keeping the points on the individual warscrolls, instead ofcentralised on a general's handbook also has the disadvantage that changes requir you to get a new copy of EVERYTHING. At least this way you only need to buy the handbook and you're done with it.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.