1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Where to start?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Titchy_Stryder, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Titchy_Stryder
    Saurus

Titchy_Stryder Active Member

This site is awesome and I’ve already been wading my way through the posts on here for info.

I wanted to find an army that had vibrant colours to help push my painting out of my comfort zone (I’m a Nurgle man really and my paint style is very Blanchitsu) and I was familiar with Lizardmen/Seraphon from playing Blood Bowl. So, I took advantage of some discounts and shrewd eBay purchases to pick up the following over Xmas:

Starclaw Strikehost
    Start Collecting set + 12 additional Saurus.

I’m looking at building the following out of what I’ve got already:

Old Blood on Carnosaur
    Trogladon
    Bastilodon with Solar Engine
    Skink StarPriest
    6 x Ripperdactyls
    Scar Vet on Cold One
    7 x Saurus on Cold Ones
    24 x Skinks
    24 x Saurus

I’ve already set my sights on an EOTG and a Slann/Lord Kroak. Razordons also seem like a good option though are pricey (£18.50) for what they are tbh so may come later. And I think I could do with another box of skinks. I know I could do the water based Trog and get a Scar Vet on Carnosaur out of the box too and I’m not adverse to conversions so may well give it a bash!

Are musicians/standard bearers essential and if so, how many and what are optimal sized units?

Do I need both Kroak and a Slann?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Womboski and LizardWizard like this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Musicians/standard bearers/other special nonsense don't cost anything, so just take however many you can fit in really. Personally I stick with 1 per minimum sized unit cuz it looks pleasing (so a horde of 40 saurus warriors has 4 banners and 4 mucisians).
    There are some fringe cases where having multiple will even give you a small benefit as with a large horde it's possible to cover more ground with multiple banners.

You won't be fielding a slann and kroak at the same time so having 1 is probable enough for now as long as your opponents allow you to proxy it as the other occasionally.

As for other stuff: make sure you have enough storage space to hide your new addiction so your spouse won't get annoyed too quickly as dinosaurs invade your house cuz you're going to be buying a lot of em :p

Womboski and LizardWizard like this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Seraphon are a great choice. @Canas covered your questions thoroughly.

Just wanted to welcome you to Lustria!

4. Titchy_Stryder
    Saurus

Cheers, will have a look at them in units of 10.

I’ll probably just pick up Kroak to be honest as I love the model.

I’m actually really lucky as my spouse has just come to terms with my model buying over the years. Blood Bowl got me back into the hobby around 4 years ago then into 40k and Necromunda and then finally to AOS when 2.0 came out as it looked like it addressed a few of the things I didn’t like about the first version.

Canas likes this.
  5. Titchy_Stryder
    Saurus

Cheers! Happy to be here!

LizardWizard likes this.