1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Which Bastiladon and when?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Random Lizard, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Random Lizard
    Cold One

Random Lizard Well-Known Member

Lately i've been trying out the ark of Sotek variant and it has performed really well everytime. I was using a solar engine model as a proxy to see if it was worth paying 100$ for it (yes i should've magnetized the 2 models i built but back then i thought the ark was pretty bad and outclassed by solar engine in every way).

When do you people run either variant, or is it in specific matchups?

Should i buy a new one to get the ark? (i have 3 solar engine already)

Am i right to think that the Bastiladon is one of our top 3 best models? I might like it too much because laser-dinos idk

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

you are definitely right its one of our top 3 models... honestly its a situational toss up between EOTG, Basti and rippers lol.

unless you are able to put the Bastilodon Arc in range of at least three targets, it WILL be out performed by the solar array. however, mortal wounds are nice and we are limited (less so after spell lore) in our ability to regularly field them.

if there are chaos demons on the field don't even consider the arc

if you don't want to buy a new model... you could carefully clip the array assembly at the back mount and magnetize them now. it shouldn't be too difficult and a little paint can cover up any battle damage that may occur (which should be minimal.

knave and LizardWizard like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The arc is fairly amazing and works great in every situation it's a fairly potent nuke even single target as far as mortal wounds are concerned it still outperforms a lot of other sources with high potential pay-off.

However, the engine has 2 absolutly massive advantages that make it better, or at least far easier to use.

1. It is one of our few resources of ranged attacks. Which gives it great utility as hitting stuff from a distance is usefull :p
    2. It is vastly more reliable as you can actually pick a target and shoot at that one. An arc can consistently attack the "wrong" target.

4. Random Lizard
    Cold One

The first time i tried to field the ark i was playing vs a tzeentch army (my friend was playing them for the first time). Managed to get the Ark in melee turn 1 with LoST on Basti and on a stegadon, got 3" on alpha skink and managed the charge. It had 6 targets for 2 turns and it pretty much won the game singlehandedly as he was'nt able to deal with it somehow and it dealt 40-45 mortals.

The 2nd (and last) time i tried it, i fielded 2 vs beasts of chaos. They had on average 3 targets on every combat phase but one of the 2 fell to minotaurs. They still did a great job, i'm not used to getting up front and personal though i usually sit back and fire away.

I still have 1 left to paint out of the 3 i have so i should be able to do it without messing the paint :)

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

if a tzeench player left you with 6 targets on an arc he made a serious play mistake. do not take that as par for the course. it will not be the standard action taken by your opponent.

knave and LizardWizard like this.
  6. Random Lizard
    Cold One

As i said he was playing them for the first time so mistakes were to be expected

LizardWizard and ILKAIN like this.
  7. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

MackiMac Well-Known Member

Would be cool to have four ark bastiladons to create a huge snakewall. I wonder how you would build a list around that :)

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

i don't know about 4 but with three and a stegadon you could throw a lot of pain at death stars

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

At the moment the Solar Engine out preforms the Ark of Sotek. Unless your opponent runs multiple MinSU and keeps them near each other you aren't too likily to gain value. :(

Also, Slaanesh is now a very big thing and killing KoS from range is what the Solar Engine excels at.

Random Lizard and ILKAIN like this.
  10. Random Lizard
    Cold One

I got a 4th bastiladon in a package deal to get a cheaper dread saurian. I'll swap his solar for an ark of sotek so i get 2 solar engine, 1 ark and 1 magnetized for both.

My playgroup consists of: nurgle, slaanesh, tzeentch, idoneth, beast of chaos, sylvaneth, nagash, stormcast, FeC and ironjawz

From what i've seen (the minus to hit buffs), i need an ark to play vs nurgle and spread mortals. Most other matchups the solar engine ends up better?

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Fair assessment. You could also just shoot hero and Plague Drones instead of Plaguebearers.

Random Lizard likes this.