1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Why Bastiladon?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Drmooreflava, Aug 5, 2014.

1. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

I seem to have missed this conversation. What is the problem here?

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It's perfectly legal to have a monster point his butt at the enemy though it's a little crass.

3. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Though to be fair, the monster itself should be perfectly aware of how strong its own tail is, and thus it would make perfect sense to position itself in a manner that allowed for her powerful tail swipe.

I prefer imagining it as the Bastiladon moving forward, then making a spin at the approaching enemies.

Though it is a bit difficult to pull off, since it means you don't get to beam the enemies, nor charge them if they decide not to.

4. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

The sentence structure used for the tail attack makes for two completely equally valid interpretations. I go with the less powerful one that says in order to get +1 to hit and S10, the attack needs to be to the rear.

Others read it as it being S10 all the time, and +1 to hit if the attack is made to the rear.

5. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Oh.

Funny, I hadn't even thought of that interpretation. I normally just play it as 1 S10 attack with +1 to hit, that is only possible to be used against units in the rear.

Though I see the logic behind the other argument. After all, it should still be able to thrash around and smaack things with that enormous tail - it is just far easier to hit those already standing near the tail.

Of course, logic =/= actual game mechanics and rules. So that's a pretty weak argument.

6. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

See, i never read it that way at all... I'm going to have to re-read it when i get home.
    I always read it as 2x str4 attacks and 1x Str10 attack. +1 to hit if they're in the rear.

Using the other logic, would not every attack be strength 10 then?

7. Gringold
    Skink

Gringold Member

It is pretty ambiguous.

I would guess the Bastiladon gets two S4 attacks and one S10 attack and the S10 attack gets a bonus to hit against a model in the rear arc.

If they intended the S10 attack to only be used against a model in the rear arc, there are numerous ways it could've been written more clearly. "If attacking a model in the creature's rear arc, nominate one of the..." Or "Against models in the creature's rear arc, this attack is resolved at Strength 10 and receives..."

Edit: This may or may not be of value, but the 2014 ETC FAQ had this very question on it:

8. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I agree with this :)